Auctions and MTBs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trevorm, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Trevorm

    Trevorm Guest

    Hey guys,

    I have the opportunity to have a look at bikes that will be going into an auction this Saturday.
    I am wondering what kinds of things would I look for and be VERY aware of before even trying to
    win a bid on a bike? These are bikes that are from BC's largest Police Recovery. I'm thinking,
    stolen bikes, nor recovered by owners, and bikes that have been beat on very bad? If anyone
    wants to attend I'll give you the info:

    What: Over 250 bikes: Rocky Mountain, Precision, Giant, Specialized, Nishiki, Cannondale, Norco,
    Kona, Brodie, Diamondback, Trek, Nakamura, Gary Fisher, Kuwahara, Raleigh and more. Time: Saturday,
    April 26th, 8AM sharp Place: 50 East 30th, Vancouver, BC (Riley Park Arena) Preview Times: Friday,
    April 25th, 10AM to 4PM www.ableauctions.ca

    Good luck on bidding and getting a great deal! I just wanna swap good parts from a better bike
    to mine...hehehe.

    --Trevor-- GT LTS1000

    PS. I'm in no way affiliated with this company...I just like bikes!

    Tags:

  2. David L

    David L Guest

    "TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I have the opportunity to have a look at bikes that will be going into an auction this
    > Saturday. I am wondering what kinds of things would I
    look
    > for and be VERY aware of before even trying to win a bid on a bike? These are bikes that are from
    > BC's largest Police Recovery. I'm thinking,
    stolen
    > bikes, nor recovered by owners, and bikes that have been beat on very bad? If anyone wants to
    > attend I'll give you the info:
    >
    > What: Over 250 bikes: Rocky Mountain, Precision, Giant, Specialized, Nishiki, Cannondale, Norco,
    > Kona, Brodie, Diamondback, Trek, Nakamura,
    Gary
    > Fisher, Kuwahara, Raleigh and more. Time: Saturday, April 26th, 8AM sharp Place: 50 East 30th,
    > Vancouver, BC (Riley Park Arena) Preview Times: Friday, April 25th, 10AM to 4PM
    > www.ableauctions.ca
    >
    > Good luck on bidding and getting a great deal! I just wanna swap good parts from a better bike
    > to mine...hehehe.
    >
    > --Trevor-- GT LTS1000
    >
    > PS. I'm in no way affiliated with this company...I just like bikes!

    There's one in Winnipeg this weekend as well. What exactly should you look for when buying a
    *used* bike.

    All the components, welds, no dents, wheels, breaks, etc..... Anything to look for that isnt common
    sense in terms of rust, etc..?

    Dave

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey guys,
    > >
    > > I have the opportunity to have a look at bikes that will be going
    into
    > > an auction this Saturday. These are bikes that are from BC's largest Police Recovery. I'm
    > > thinking,
    > stolen bikes, nor recovered by owners

    > What exactly should you look for when buying a *used* bike.
    >
    > All the components, welds, no dents, wheels, breaks, etc..... Anything to look for that isnt
    > common sense in terms of rust, etc..?

    Personally, I'd bid on the good bikes that are incomplete. They always sell much cheaper than
    complete bikes - even if the complete bikes are worn out. Best possible find is a high-end bike from
    a not-well-known brand that has minor missing or broken parts (saddle, chain, pedals, handlebars,
    brakes, tires) which keep people from test riding it. Just hope that you're the only one who knows
    what it is.

    If you're not an expert, you'll probably pay too much. I've rarely seen a good deal at a police
    auction. Generally, I recommend staying away from auctions unless you know what exactly to look for
    and what to pay. That includes knowing the difference between a worn-out drivetrain and a decent
    one. Often, even an expert can't really evaluate a bike at the auctions (they stack 'em real close
    together). But then again, you might just find a real nice bike for dirt cheap. You never know.
    Check 'em carefully. A bent, cracked or rusted-through frame, wheels with flat spots, trashed shock
    forks - all are easily concealed unless you check out the bike in advance of the sale.

    All of the shiny, complete, rideable, big-name bikes will sell for waaay too much - sometimes more
    than retail. It's amazing (and a little sad) to watch a police bike auction. People see "auction"
    and figure it's a guaranteed good deal. Wrong-o.

    -Barry