Audax 200, South Wales

D.M. Procida

Guest
I'm thinking of having a go at this:

<http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-158>

- assuming, of course, that I have a bike again by then.

The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
experienced riders might have any comments or advice.

Daniele

D.M. Procida wrote:
> I'm thinking of having a go at this:
>
> <http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-158>
>
> - assuming, of course, that I have a bike again by then.
>
> The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
> what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
> experienced riders might have any comments or advice.
>
> Daniele

Looks like you hit the "bad patch" (Devils Elbow) 2/3 the way through,
could be a bit kn\\tiring!

Disclaimer: I've not ridden that part of the route.

The run up from along the Usk, stopping for a beer at Talybont is
pleasant on a warm sunny day.

[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I'm thinking of having a go at this:
>
> <http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-158>
>
>- assuming, of course, that I have a bike again by then.
>
>The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
>what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
>experienced riders might have any comments or advice.

Not the best time of year for a 200 given the limited number of daylight
hours. You are best able to judge if you can do it. It's a pity that the
site doesn't list the total ascend, knowing that helps considerably in
determining if you can do it.

I did my first 200 in June, managed fine but you do need to be prepared.
A decent commute with a number of longer weekend runs with a few stiff
climbs should be enough to get you ready.

--
Membrane

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:1i6c39l.n76v8r1h19j9tN%[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of having a go at this:
>
> <http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-158>
>
> - assuming, of course, that I have a bike again by then.
>
> The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
> what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
> experienced riders might have any comments or advice.
>
> Daniele

I don't know the lie of the land but I assume that you are capable of doing
100km rides with little effort.

Maximum time limit for the ride including breaks will be around 13 hours and
20 minutes.

You'll be needing lights if you are riding at the 15km/hr pace.

You'll need to eat and drink regularly throughout the ride. Porridge is a
great breakfast to have before a long ride. You also need to get your
finger out and register for the ride to help the organiser gauge the level
of interest and organise resources accordingly.

Hope that helps

Vernon

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:46:08 +0100,
[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I'm thinking of having a go at this:
>
> <http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-158>
>
>- assuming, of course, that I have a bike again by then.
>
>The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
>what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
>experienced riders might have any comments or advice.
>
>Daniele

The Transporter 200 is the easiest of the South Wales 200k rides. It
used to be run at the end of March but when a Cardiff Ride Round The
Year series was started a harder ride was in November. It was thought
a good idea to move the Transporter to the nasty time of year.

There are two notable climbs. The first is over Wentwood to Usk and
the second is the Devils Elbow. The section through the lanes from
Brecon to Pentre y Felin is very up and down and we need to climb out
of Ystradfellte but apart from that the ride is mostly flat.

Lights are needed for most people at this time of year. Although the
ride finishes on lit roads down the Cynon and Taff valleys (apart from
the section from Abercynon to Glyncoch).

You need money to buy food at controls in Usk and Defynnog. You need a
pen to write the answer to the information controls in Castle Park,
Redwick and Pentre y Felin.

Overall a very nice ride.

Quoting D.M. Procida <[email protected]>:
>The Audax UK website is diabolical, but I think I've found out much of
>what I needed to know about such a ride. I wondered whether any more
>experienced riders might have any comments or advice.

The 15 km/h minimum appears laughably slow until you actually try it.

What kills the time is not slow progress but farting around at controls.
Young Jack should be your role model here; dismount, stamp card, remount.

Lots of food - malt loaf, fig newtons, etc.
Today is Second Aponoia, October.