audax bike builder

George Quinn

Guest
I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
style riding.

As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders advice on blind faith. While I
am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about which ones have
experience in what I am after.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

George Quinn

"george quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
> style riding.
>
> As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders
advice
> on blind faith. While I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about
> which ones have experience in what I am
after.

> Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

John Kennedy builds great AUDAX bikes, with extra lugs for racks and stuff, triples, dynamo hubs.
Plus the more upright position of his fit system is perfect AUDAX riding. He is in Melbourne.

You should got to

http://www.audax.org.au/

And join in the discussion group.

RMan

george quinn wrote:
> I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
> style riding.
>
> As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders advice on blind faith. While
> I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about which ones have
> experience in what I am after.

I'm getting mine from the UK:

http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/

Fortunately Dave Yates and the boys build much better bikes than they do websites...

george quinn <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
> style riding.

Close, but not quite there, Im having a tourer built from steel by a builder over here in Perth/WA.
Its been a slow process but its nearly done =)

Its being built by Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers. Anyhow here is a list of aus frame makers;

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gloria/ausframe.html

Bah.

http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/ is another. In fact there is a good UK mag review which compares
custom audax bikes built by Yates, Longstaff and another. You can get to it by looking at the list
of reviews on the Yates website. Either one seems to be excellent value (particularly with the
soaring AD) and quality. But back to me. I have thought about a British builder for some time. You
would need to be confident that the list of measurements that you send over will do the job. I think
you also need a bit of cycling experience as well to assist negotiating the finer points. I don't
have that experience and so that's why I'm thinking local. At least the builder can seen me on the
frame and hopefully this will be reflected in the final product. "John Stevenson"
> george quinn wrote:
> > I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
> > style riding.
> >
> > As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders
advice
> > on blind faith. While I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea
> > about which ones have experience in what I am
after.

> I'm getting mine from the UK:
>
> http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/
>
> Fortunately Dave Yates and the boys build much better bikes than they do websites...

"george quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
> style riding.
>
> As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders
advice
> on blind faith. While I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about
> which ones have experience in what I am
after.

George,

I recommend that you ride a few Audax events on the bicycle you now have and build a bit of
experience before plunging into a custom building exercise. Most bicycles will do the job, provided
the event is not too extreme. Then you will have a better idea of sizing and the features you feel
you need. It will also give you plenty of opportunity to talk to other Audax riders and to observe
their equipment. You will be surprised at the diversity of bicycles ridden in Audax events.

John Retchford

Thanks for the replies. I suspect that buying a bike (custom or off the shelf) that fits is a lot
like buying shoes that fit. Easy for some problematic for others. Cheers George

news:[email protected]...