audax bike builder

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by George Quinn, May 5, 2003.

  1. George Quinn

    George Quinn Guest

    I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
    style riding.

    As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders advice on blind faith. While I
    am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about which ones have
    experience in what I am after.

    Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    George Quinn

    Tags:

  2. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "george quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
    > style riding.
    >
    > As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders
    advice
    > on blind faith. While I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about
    > which ones have experience in what I am
    after.

    > Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

    John Kennedy builds great AUDAX bikes, with extra lugs for racks and stuff, triples, dynamo hubs.
    Plus the more upright position of his fit system is perfect AUDAX riding. He is in Melbourne.

    You should got to

    http://www.audax.org.au/

    And join in the discussion group.

    RMan

  3. george quinn wrote:
    > I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
    > style riding.
    >
    > As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders advice on blind faith. While
    > I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about which ones have
    > experience in what I am after.

    I'm getting mine from the UK:

    http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/

    Fortunately Dave Yates and the boys build much better bikes than they do websites...

  4. Bah

    Bah Guest

    george quinn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
    > style riding.

    Close, but not quite there, Im having a tourer built from steel by a builder over here in Perth/WA.
    Its been a slow process but its nearly done =)

    Its being built by Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers. Anyhow here is a list of aus frame makers;

    http://users.chariot.net.au/~gloria/ausframe.html

    Bah.

  5. George Quinn

    George Quinn Guest

    http://www.longstaffcycles.co.uk/ is another. In fact there is a good UK mag review which compares
    custom audax bikes built by Yates, Longstaff and another. You can get to it by looking at the list
    of reviews on the Yates website. Either one seems to be excellent value (particularly with the
    soaring AD) and quality. But back to me. I have thought about a British builder for some time. You
    would need to be confident that the list of measurements that you send over will do the job. I think
    you also need a bit of cycling experience as well to assist negotiating the finer points. I don't
    have that experience and so that's why I'm thinking local. At least the builder can seen me on the
    frame and hopefully this will be reflected in the final product. "John Stevenson"

  6. "george quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am after a recommendation for a bike builder to build a custom bike purpose built for audax
    > style riding.
    >
    > As I am new to cycling I guess I would be taking much of the builders
    advice
    > on blind faith. While I am sure that there a lot of good bike builders about I have not idea about
    > which ones have experience in what I am
    after.

    George,

    I recommend that you ride a few Audax events on the bicycle you now have and build a bit of
    experience before plunging into a custom building exercise. Most bicycles will do the job, provided
    the event is not too extreme. Then you will have a better idea of sizing and the features you feel
    you need. It will also give you plenty of opportunity to talk to other Audax riders and to observe
    their equipment. You will be surprised at the diversity of bicycles ridden in Audax events.

    John Retchford

  7. George Quinn

    George Quinn Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I suspect that buying a bike (custom or off the shelf) that fits is a lot
    like buying shoes that fit. Easy for some problematic for others. Cheers George

    news:[email protected]...