Audax/Sportif Fred Whitton

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arthur Clune, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
    the Fred Whitton Challenge:

    http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/

    New for this year is the start system:

    "For the 2005 event, riders times will be calculated with the aid of
    a tagging system. Riders will be able to start individually from 6.30
    - 8.00 am. There will still be two group starts at 8am and 9 am. But
    only riders with an existing time of under 9 hours will be able to
    start after 8 am."

    113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
    interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune wrote:
    > For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
    > the Fred Whitton Challenge:

    [...]
    > 113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
    > interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.

    Although I'm interested, I will be doing a Lakes ride a few weeks before
    so I may not be able to find the time.

    Just after Easter, along with two friends, I'll be riding from my house
    to Keswick, Keswick to Kendal and then from Kendal back home via
    Middleton in Teesdale, over three days. We'll be taking in some of the
    Lakeland passes on the 2nd day.

    The entry date for the Challenge is after I do this trip. Do you know if
    there is a cap on the entries? If not then I might enter depending on
    how our mini-tour goes.

    Colin

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    : The entry date for the Challenge is after I do this trip. Do you know if
    : there is a cap on the entries? If not then I might enter depending on
    : how our mini-tour goes.

    I don't know about a cap but they don't accept entries after the closing
    date.

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  4. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
    > the Fred Whitton Challenge:
    >
    > http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/
    >
    > New for this year is the start system:
    >
    > "For the 2005 event, riders times will be calculated with the aid of
    > a tagging system. Riders will be able to start individually from 6.30
    > - 8.00 am. There will still be two group starts at 8am and 9 am. But
    > only riders with an existing time of under 9 hours will be able to
    > start after 8 am."
    >
    > 113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
    > interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    > It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

    Leaving at 9.00am and getting to Buttermere by noon and taking in two passes
    Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

    I think I would go for 6.30am if I did it. It does sound tempting but it
    would be two heavy weekends in May the if I did

    Cliff

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Cliff <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Leaving at 9.00am and getting to Buttermere by noon and taking in two passes
    : Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

    I did it last year in 7hrs 7min (16mph) and I want to shave a bit off that
    this year so I'm hoping that starting will the faster group will give
    me more of a tow. Of course it could all go totally wrong and they'll
    **** off up the first hill, but we'll see.