Audax/Sportif Fred Whitton

Arthur Clune

Guest
For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
the Fred Whitton Challenge:

http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/

New for this year is the start system:

"For the 2005 event, riders times will be calculated with the aid of
a tagging system. Riders will be able to start individually from 6.30
- 8.00 am. There will still be two group starts at 8am and 9 am. But
only riders with an existing time of under 9 hours will be able to
start after 8 am."

113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.

Arthur

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Arthur Clune wrote:
> For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
> the Fred Whitton Challenge:

[...]
> 113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
> interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.

Although I'm interested, I will be doing a Lakes ride a few weeks before
so I may not be able to find the time.

Just after Easter, along with two friends, I'll be riding from my house
to Keswick, Keswick to Kendal and then from Kendal back home via
Middleton in Teesdale, over three days. We'll be taking in some of the
Lakeland passes on the 2nd day.

The entry date for the Challenge is after I do this trip. Do you know if
there is a cap on the entries? If not then I might enter depending on
how our mini-tour goes.

Colin

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

: The entry date for the Challenge is after I do this trip. Do you know if
: there is a cap on the entries? If not then I might enter depending on
: how our mini-tour goes.

I don't know about a cap but they don't accept entries after the closing
date.

Arthur

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For those who fancy a challenge, there's a new website up about
> the Fred Whitton Challenge:
>
> http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.org.uk/
>
> New for this year is the start system:
>
> "For the 2005 event, riders times will be calculated with the aid of
> a tagging system. Riders will be able to start individually from 6.30
> - 8.00 am. There will still be two group starts at 8am and 9 am. But
> only riders with an existing time of under 9 hours will be able to
> start after 8 am."
>
> 113 miles in the Lakes. It's fun :) I'll be doing it - anyone else
> interested. I think I'll try starting with the 9am group this year.
>
> Arthur
>
> --
> Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
> It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Leaving at 9.00am and getting to Buttermere by noon and taking in two passes
Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

I think I would go for 6.30am if I did it. It does sound tempting but it
would be two heavy weekends in May the if I did

Cliff

Cliff <[email protected]> wrote:

: Leaving at 9.00am and getting to Buttermere by noon and taking in two passes
: Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

I did it last year in 7hrs 7min (16mph) and I want to shave a bit off that
this year so I'm hoping that starting will the faster group will give
me more of a tow. Of course it could all go totally wrong and they'll
**** off up the first hill, but we'll see.