Audible Warning

"j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Log scales seem to confuse electricians, never mind laymen. We had a
chart
> up on the wall of our lab for ages, because

> addition of 10dB=multiplication by factor of 10

> wasn't simple enough.

None of my students could work a simple problem involving that on the exam either, even after I
worked thru several examples in class.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Peter B <[email protected]> wrote: I hope you pointed out that the law does not require
>>bicycles to mount bells.
>At the moment but not for much longer by the looks of it

Thr proposed change, according to Chris Juden, is to require newly sold machines to have bells
mounted. Aftermarket modifications will not be illegal. :)

In the days when I rode a bike with rim brakes they were normally (mal)adjusted to make a terrifying screech when applied. This would shift most peds.

These days I have disc brakes, so I suppose I shall just have to pop out my front wheel to attract attention.

Chris Walker

Originally posted by Andymorris
What sort of audible warnings does u.r.c like to use.

I have several.

"Coming by" - Useful on shared use paths when passing pedestrians to politely let them know I am
about to pass

"Oy Oy" - To alert other traffic to my presence, when they may be about to pull out in front of me.

"Geroutofit" - To alert other traffic to my presence, when they are about to pull out in
front of me.

"Anker" - To alert other traffic to my presence, when they have just pulled out in front of me.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

"Robert Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Log scales seem to confuse electricians, never mind laymen. We had a
> chart
> > up on the wall of our lab for ages, because
>
> > addition of 10dB=multiplication by factor of 10
>
> > wasn't simple enough.
>
> None of my students could work a simple problem involving that on the exam either, even after I
> worked thru several examples in class.

So it might not be clarifying the issue to start considering dBA and dBP measures then?

hmmm, I'm not convinced that horse riders get much more consideration that cyclists...

However I have seen a car that was in collision with a horse. The horse was a stray on the green
verge at the edge of a dual carriageway. A go-faster-asshole shot past it overtaking in the
breakdown lane. The horse gets scared and bolts across the road in to traffic.

The car was a total write off, the drivers side roof was completely flattened in addition to a lot
of other damage. I still don't know how the driver was so lightly injured.

So maybe it's a simple equation. Scare a cyclist and you probably just get a laugh, maybe they get
injured or killed and you have to pay a fine and a few months ban. Scare a horse and maybe it jumps
in front of your car possibly injuring you badly and (even worse) damaging your precious car.

Eric.

On 07 Apr 2003 15:25:41 +0100 (BST), David Damerell wrote:

> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Peter B <[email protected]> wrote: I hope you pointed out that the law does not require
>>>bicycles to mount bells.
>>At the moment but not for much longer by the looks of it
>
> Thr proposed change, according to Chris Juden, is to require newly sold machines to have bells
> mounted. Aftermarket modifications will not be illegal. :)

I thought that already was law, introduced as a private members bill about 2'ish years ago, I cannot
find a trace of that one though so I guess this is the "Pedal Cycles regulations 2002"??

It make great reading, new bikes must a bell unless its a tandem or your delivering bread.

Yet another useful law.

Steve

> hmmm, I'm not convinced that horse riders get much more consideration that cyclists...

No, sadly. A guy riding a pony and trap was killed the other day (the pony too as you might
imagine.) The driver has been charged with dangerous driving.

Colin

Steve Peake <[email protected]> wrote:
>On 07 Apr 2003 15:25:41 +0100 (BST), David Damerell wrote:
>>Thr proposed change, according to Chris Juden, is to require newly sold machines to have bells
>>mounted. Aftermarket modifications will not be illegal. :)
>I thought that already was law, introduced as a private members bill about 2'ish years ago, I
>cannot find a trace of that one though so I guess this is the "Pedal Cycles regulations 2002"??

"It is likely that this regulation will be amended soon to require, amongst other things, that new
bicycles are equipped with a bell."

Juden may be mistaken, but I doubt it. However, the important thing, unless you run a bike shop, is
that you don't need one mounted.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:37:40 +0100, Tony W scrawled: ) So it might not be clarifying the issue to
start considering dBA and dBP ) measures then?

I once saw dBuV/m, where the u is silent as in mu. I'm still not sure why they bothered. Electric
field strength or some such.

J-P
--
ur wrong nobody from the valleys would ever ask for diet only full sugar plee-uz... anyway they all
drink panda pops...a hundred for a pou-und at pou-und stretchas... where all the e-numbers are

On 7 Apr 2003 06:25:23 -0700 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-

>My pet hate though is when dog walkers realise you're there and let their dog go one way on the end
>of their windy out lead, and they go the other, hence leaving a long trip wire in your path!

It's worse for Fido.

On 7 Apr 2003 09:11:55 -0700 someone who may be [email protected] (Eric Nolan) wrote this:-

>So maybe it's a simple equation. Scare a cyclist and you probably just get a laugh, maybe they get
>injured or killed and you have to pay a fine and a few months ban. Scare a horse and maybe it jumps
>in front of your car possibly injuring you badly and (even worse) damaging your precious car.

That's about it. One reason why cyclists should be permitted to carry guns in order to deal
with idiots.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:34:27 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "j-p.s" <[email protected]>
wrote this:-

>Log scales seem to confuse electricians, never mind laymen. We had a chart up on the wall of our
>lab for ages, because
>
> addition of 10dB=multiplication by factor of 10
>
>wasn't simple enough.

<Daily Telegraph>It's just a sign that the UK is going to the dogs.</Daily Telegraph>

Some people do understand how such things work though, not the least because they are old enough to
know how slide rules work and some of these people are perfectly capable of coping with the log
scales that are used in electrical engineering (for example the operating characteristics of
protective devices).

Eric Nolan wrote:
> hmmm, I'm not convinced that horse riders get much more consideration that cyclists...

Whenever anyone suggests that, it calls to mind the occasion when half a dozen cagers pulled
carefully round a couple of horses directly into my path. They didn't seem to notice me on my bike.
It certainly didn't occur to them that I was actually *using* the lane that they pulled into.

Thomas Paine

Ian Walker wrote:

> Now here's an interesting point that's been bothering me for a while. Why do we cyclists get so
> much aggro from motorists for taking up a little bit of road on a safe predictable vehicle, but
> the same motorists are happy to spend ages crawling along behind horses, which take up more road
> and are dangerously unpredictable? Some sort of deeply ingrained feudal serfism? The worry that
> the slightest criticism of someone on a horse will see half of Hampshire marching through Hyde
> Park again?
>
> Perhaps our problem is that our mounts are *too* predictable. If bikes had minds of their own*
> then perhaps they'd get more respect.

Hate to show myself as the trot that I really am, but "Some sort of deeply ingrained feudal serfism"
is right on the nail.

People get angry when delayed by someone they perceive as being of lower status than themselves. No
one rants about horses, or limos, or waiting for some twit in a merc to park in Sainsburys. Cyclists
should get out of the way because they are less important.

Didn't Jez Clarkson say something very close to that?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It's worse for Fido.

I'm sure it is. So far, I've always managed to stop in such a situation though. I am not a
dog/cat/pet lover in the slightest, but I realise that in 99% of these kind of situations the
owner/handler is at fault. For that reason I'm much more likely to aim for the owner in the event of
an unavoidable crash. That way you're more likely to get a soft(ish) landing when you crash rather
than breaking the back of some poor mutt then going over the handlebars to an uncertain solid
landing :-(

Graeme

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 00:20:06 +0100, AndyMorris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hate to show myself as the trot that I really am, but "Some sort of deeply ingrained feudal
> serfism" is right on the nail.
>
> People get angry when delayed by someone they perceive as being of lower status than themselves.
> No one rants about horses, or limos, or waiting for some twit in a merc to park in Sainsburys.
> Cyclists should get out of the way because they are less important.

Oh well, looks like it's time to quadruple bicycle prices... :eek:)

> Didn't Jez Clarkson say something very close to that?

Probably, although probably also suggesting it was a good thing.

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

Eric Nolan wrote:
> hmmm, I'm not convinced that horse riders get much more consideration that cyclists...

Most cagers that I see drive theatrically slowly and carefully whenver they're within 100 yards of a horse. It's big and fairly rare, so it attracts attention.

However much consideration horse riders get, they don't seem to give much. Every morning I use a shared cycle track. There are notices exhorting the numerous dog-walkers to clean up after their animals, and to judge from the state of the path most of them comply. Of course the equestrian class are far too grand to be concerned about the monstrous piles of excrement they leave in the path, so the rest of us have to pick our way round it. In fact there seems to be something about blind corners that loosens the equine bowels, so as often as not you end up cycling through it.

Chris Walker

In message <[email protected]>, ChrisW <[email protected]> writes

>However much consideration horse riders get, they don't seem to give much. Every morning I use a
>shared cycle track. There are notices exhorting the numerous dog-walkers to clean up after their
>animals, and to judge from the state of the path most of them comply. Of course the equestrian
>class are far too grand to be concerned about the monstrous piles of excrement they leave in the
>path, so the rest of us have to pick our way round it. In fact there seems to be something about
>blind corners that loosens the equine bowels, so as often as not you end up cycling through it.

The subject of horse do-dos has been raised at a parish council meeting and was met with the
(serious) suggestion that a local riding school might put nappies on its horses. If the subject
intrigues you sufficiently to look further, http://www.equisan.com.au/ is the page I printed out and
shoved under the noses of councillors.
--
DP

On 7 Apr 2003 06:25:23 -0700, [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote:

>Yep, I've always had that happen too. I don't know whether it's because people don't know their
>left from their right, if they think you mean "go to your right" or if they're just being
>awkward buggers.

Hi Graeme

The first time I heard "coming through" I had an almighty shock, and I was merely trundling slowly
on the road at the time. A nano or millisecond later, a bunch of brighly clad lycra shorted (most
possibly bib shorted) blokes zoomed past me at some incredible speed. It was more the shock of their
shouts rather than their speed than caught me unawares.

However, the gang was on the road and I'm now quite used to their anticts.

To me, "on your right" means that the riders are about to pass me on MY right side.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
[email protected] typed:

> The subject of horse do-dos has been raised at a parish council meeting and was met with the
> (serious) suggestion that a local riding school might put nappies on its horses.

While I was in Paris once I saw a street vendor with a horse and cart. The horse had a bucket
attached to catch it's wee-wee. Shame the photo I took isn't good enough to scan...

--
Trog Woolley | trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk (A Croweater back residing in Pommie
Land with Linux) Isis Astarte Diana Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna