Aussie '3 Chefs do Lunch' Workshop -- what fun - long

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bronwyn, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Yesterday a foodie girlfriend and I attended a workshop here on the
    Gold Coast in Queensland. And what a great day it was!
    It was held at our Arts Centre Complex and took the form of banquet
    seating with tables of 8, 300 guests in total. The Complex restaurant
    did the cooking for the degustation dinner whilst the three chefs
    demonstrated the dishes on stage. We ate each course as they
    demonstrated each one. We started at 11.30am and were eating and
    drinking accompanying selected wines until 3pm. What a great way to
    spend a Saturday!
    The chefs were 1/ Dominique Chaudet from Champagne Brasserie, one of
    the best French restaurants on the coast here (and averagely priced);
    2/ Marty Kollrep of Oscars on Burleigh (fabulous location overlooking a
    point on a surf beach)(expensive but top class) and 3/ Brian Meade,
    Executive Chef of the Arts Centre Complex.
    Being on the coast, seafood is always a prominent ingredient. Do you
    want to know what each course was? Of course you do. 3 courses, 3
    dishes of each.
    ====
    Duck Liver Foie Gras with green bean salad (walnuts and oil etc.)
    Scallop Ravioli with Verjuice and Roast Capsicum (bell peppers) sauce
    Twice Baked Sandcrab Souffle, wilted spinach, garlic/dill cream sauce
    ====
    Spicecrusted Spatchcock (or quail) with chilli plum sauce
    Reef Fish fillet wrapped in a cos lettuce leaf, steamed, with smoked
    tomato and herb olive oil vinaigrette
    Poached Beef Fillet (in red wine) with Mushroom Custard & Bordelaise
    Sauce
    ====
    Glazed Goats Cheese Salad
    Pear Tartin
    Strawberry Salad in Chocolate Case & Raspberry Coulis

    Wow! It was a taste sensation. Hard to pick a favourite dish, but the
    Sandcrab Souffle was to die for. The ravioli was fab. too.
    It is my 25th wedding anniversary this Monday, and my DH had already
    decided we would go to Oscars (we live just nearby, hence a 2 min
    drive and we can enjoy a champagne watching the day fade over the ocean
    before dining and wining). I am so tempted to have that souffle again
    as that was an Oscars dish!! Altho' I don't often order beef out
    (because I can cook that well at home) it is also tempting because the
    mushroom custard had a Japanese bent to it and was sublime. We'll see
    -- but no, that was Brian Meade's dish...
    I'll just have to cook these dishes at home.

    My girlfriend and I quickly decided yesterday that we would tele. one
    of our Dh's to pick us up so we could fully enjoy all the matched
    wines. We then went back and collected our cars in the early evening.
    Good move.

    The Arts Centre hope to make this an annual event. I hope so. Such fun
    and good value.

    Cheers
    -- Bronwyn

    Tags:

  2. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    Bronwyn

    Did you get the recipes while you were at the workshop?

    I would particularly love the recipe for Spicecrusted Spatchcock (or
    quail) with chilli plum sauce

    Kathy

    On 10 Sep 2005 19:08:50 -0700, "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yesterday a foodie girlfriend and I attended a workshop here on the
    >Gold Coast in Queensland. And what a great day it was!

    >Cheers
    >-- Bronwyn

  3. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Yes kathy. but I have just this afternoon loaned the recipes and notes
    to another girlfriend who couldn't make it....as I am about to go on
    holidays for 5 weeks to the UK. Could you shoot me a email to
    [email protected] and that will jog me to send it to you either on
    Monday week (when I see her again) or in a few weeks time.

    That recipe was delicious too.
    --Cheers
    Bronwyn

  4. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Yesterday a foodie girlfriend and I attended a workshop here on the
    >Gold Coast in Queensland. And what a great day it was!
    >It was held at our Arts Centre Complex and took the form of banquet
    >seating with tables of 8, 300 guests in total. The Complex restaurant
    >did the cooking for the degustation dinner whilst the three chefs
    >demonstrated the dishes on stage. We ate each course as they
    >demonstrated each one. We started at 11.30am and were eating and
    >drinking accompanying selected wines until 3pm. What a great way to
    >spend a Saturday!

    [Snipped further detail.]

    This reminded me of some sort of cooking competition that was recently
    promoted in PR blurb from the Queensland DPI. I gather it was held
    today (Sunday) week ago (i.e. 4 Sep 2005) somewhere in SE Qld
    (Brisbane?). Selected extracts from the blurb:

    <quoting>
    Coordinated by the Meat and Livestock Association of Australia (MLA)
    the Black Box Culinary Challenge is the largest international chef
    competition in Australia and brings together leading young chefs from
    15 countries including Vietnam, Dubai, Fiji, China and Indonesia.

    Competing teams have a day to turn around a fabulous three course meal
    for guests at Sunday's Gala Dinner using only ingredients from a
    mystery black box.
    </quoting>

    It would be interesting to hear from anyone who was there!

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  5. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Yes, I heard about that too last week -- don't know anyone who
    attended.
    Sounded fun. A little more refined than Iron Chef hey <grin>.

    Cheers
    -- Bronwyn