Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Aussie 6 day races - why no more?

Started by G · · Last activity · 4 posts · 793 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
30 July 2003
Last activity
31 July 2003
Original author
G
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
793
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Apparently 6 day races are dying a slow death in Europe. (Maybe because Danny Clark retired..?)
    Though sprint king Erik Zabel continues spending his winters racing them and the
    Aussie/Belgium/Aussie pair Matthew Gilmore and Scott McGrory seem to be dominating.

    Jobie Dajka won the biggest Kieren series in Japan this year. Kieren is motor paced till 1-1/2 laps
    to go when the motorcycle peels off and all hell breaks loose 🙂

    Problem with TV, is there are too many other sports competing for air time. TV just take the easy
    route and support the biggest crowd pullers.

    GK

    Spider1977 said:

    In the thread on Aussie 10 best cyclists we started talking about the achievements of Danny Clark,
    probably the greatest 6 day rider the world has ever seen.

    These events used to be really popular, even getting TV coverage. Now we never hear about them in
    Australia. Are they still popular in Europe? I think it's kieren events in Japan that draw the
    crowds, although I'm not too sure what they involve (Danny was pretty good at them as
    well).😕

    With the popularity of the TdeF and Olympic cycling, coupled with Aussie success, you'd think it's
    time we had some "made for TV" cycling events. Great exposure for the sport and great
    entertainment for the viewers - especially if a few "characters" are cultivated e.g. big, bad,
    ugly sprinters having a bit of biffo on the sprints.

    What do you think?🙄

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com cyclingforums.comcyclingforums.com

  2. In the thread on Aussie 10 best cyclists we started talking about the achievements of Danny Clark, probably the greatest 6 day rider the world has ever seen.

    These events used to be really popular, even getting TV coverage. Now we never hear about them in Australia. Are they still popular in Europe? I think it's kieren events in Japan that draw the crowds, although I'm not too sure what they involve (Danny was pretty good at them as well).😕

    With the popularity of the TdeF and Olympic cycling, coupled with Aussie success, you'd think it's time we had some "made for TV" cycling events. Great exposure for the sport and great entertainment for the viewers - especially if a few "characters" are cultivated e.g. big, bad, ugly sprinters having a bit of biffo on the sprints.

    What do you think?🙄

  3. "g" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Problem with TV, is there are too many other sports competing for air time. TV just take the easy
    route and support the biggest crowd


    pullers.

    No, just one [censored] one taking up all the airtime.. football!!! Arrrrr! If I see another football show
    I'll sell my tv, spend the proceeds on football merchandise and then burn it all in front of the
    MCG! I'm still curious about track racing.. 6 day racing sounds like my kinda pain :-)

    hippy

  4. Quoted message said:

    No, just one [censored] one taking up all the airtime.. football!!! Arrrrr! >If I see another football show

    I have to agree with you there. But then of course on the rare occasion when there's no football (heaven forbid) we are treated to the darts and tenpin bowling finals replays from 1980 or some such rubbish. That's Aussie sports media for you.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll sell my tv, spend the proceeds on football merchandise and >then burn it all in front of the
    MCG! I'm still curious about track racing.. 6 day racing sounds like my kinda pain :-)

    Better be careful what you go burning these days. I think some people want to bring in the death penalty for burning flags. And I think that dirty old football jerseys may be considered to be national icons on a par with the flag for some.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.