Aussie team in TdF

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Spider1977, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put hi
    money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program

    Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now

    Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win: Yello
    - General Classification Green - Sprint Polka - Mountain White
    Best youn

    -

    Tags:

  2. luke1972

    luke1972 Guest

    Spider1977 wrote:
    > Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his
    > money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program.
    > Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now.
    > Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win: Yellow -
    > General Classification Mick Rodgers, Brad McGee Green - Sprint Stuart
    > O'Grady first turn,Allan Davis second turn, Baden Cooke third turn and
    > final lead out for Robbie McEwan, who could get over this team? (Graham
    > Browne as reserve) Polka - Cadel Evans White - Best young

    Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as th
    new Banesto team have done (I believe the new sponsor is an island i
    Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would be a goo
    advertisement for Australia

    -

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

    luke1972 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Spider1977 wrote:
    > > Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his
    > > money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program.
    > > Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now.
    > > Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win: Yellow -
    > > General Classification Mick Rodgers, Brad McGee Green - Sprint Stuart
    > > O'Grady first turn,Allan Davis second turn, Baden Cooke third turn and
    > > final lead out for Robbie McEwan, who could get over this team? (Graham
    > > Browne as reserve) Polka - Cadel Evans White - Best young

    > Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the
    > new Banesto team have done (I believe the new sponsor is an island in
    > Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would be a good
    > advertisement for Australia.

    Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems
    finding a private sponsor. I don't see why tax-payers money needs to
    be used for such a good team.

    Marty

  4. luke1972

    luke1972 Guest

    > Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as th
    > new Banesto team have done (I believe the new sponsor is an island i
    > Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would be a goo
    > advertisement for Australia

    Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems findin
    a private sponsor. I don't see why tax-payers money needs to be used fo
    such a good team

    Mart

    Tax payers money is going to be spent anyway. (Paul Hogan "put anothe
    shrimp on the bbq, Elle McPherson for Western Australia ). How much di
    they get paid? I assume that Steve Waugh would be getting paid for th
    gig below

    http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/sep/29waugh.ht

    Look at how much the government pays for the Grand Prix. Perhaps mor
    Europeans would come to Australia for a holiday (including watching th
    Tour Down Under). Other Australian companies could co sponsor the team
    I think it would be a good investment. It would encourage more aussie
    to get off their arse and exercise as well (you would hope)

    -

  5. Lasalles

    Lasalles Guest

    Would be great if it did happen BUT i dont think there is enough
    interest from the majority of the public. With the amount of money the
    banks make or qantas or insurance companies,there is no reason they
    couldnt afford a topline team. I could only see Cadel Evans as a
    contender for the Yellow but he hasnt even started a Tour yet so???
    Michael Rogers went awesome riding for Virenque BUT i couldnt see him
    ever winning.One guy im impressed with is Allan Davis.Lets hope this guy
    can stay on a team that doesnt close down.