Aussie team in TdF

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Spider1977, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program.

    Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now.

    Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win:
    Yellow - General Classification
    Green - Sprint
    Polka - Mountain
    White - Best young

    Tags:

  2. luke1972

    luke1972 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would be a good advertisement for Australia.

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

    luke1972 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Spider1977 wrote:
    > > Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his money where his mouth is
    > > by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program. Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote
    > > now. Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win: Yellow - General
    > > Classification Mick Rodgers, Brad McGee Green - Sprint Stuart O'Grady first turn,Allan Davis
    > > second turn, Baden Cooke third turn and final lead out for Robbie McEwan, who could get over
    > > this team? (Graham Browne as reserve) Polka - Cadel Evans White - Best young
    >

    > Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done
    > (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would
    > be a good advertisement for Australia.

    Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems finding a private sponsor. I don't
    see why tax-payers money needs to be used for such a good team.

    Marty

  4. luke1972

    luke1972 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003

    > Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done
    > (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would
    > be a good advertisement for Australia.

    Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems finding a private sponsor. I don't
    see why tax-payers money needs to be used for such a good team.

    Marty [/B][/QUOTE]

    Tax payers money is going to be spent anyway. (Paul Hogan "put another shrimp on the bbq, Elle McPherson for Western Australia ). How much did they get paid? I assume that Steve Waugh would be getting paid for the gig below.

    http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/sep/29waugh.htm

    Look at how much the government pays for the Grand Prix. Perhaps more Europeans would come to Australia for a holiday (including watching the Tour Down Under). Other Australian companies could co sponsor the team. I think it would be a good investment. It would encourage more aussies to get off their arse and exercise as well (you would hope).

  5. Lasalles

    Lasalles New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2003
    Would be great if it did happen BUT i dont think there is enough interest from the majority of the public. With the amount of money the banks make or qantas or insurance companies,there is no reason they couldnt afford a topline team.
    I could only see Cadel Evans as a contender for the Yellow but he hasnt even started a Tour yet so??? Michael Rogers went awesome riding for Virenque BUT i couldnt see him ever winning.One guy im impressed with is Allan Davis.Lets hope this guy can stay on a team that doesnt close down.