Aussie team in TdF

Spider1977

New Member
Jul 19, 2003
Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program.

Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now.

Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win:
Yellow - General Classification
Green - Sprint
Polka - Mountain
White - Best young

Originally posted by Spider1977
Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his money where his mouth is by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program.

Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote now.

Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win:
Yellow - General Classification Mick Rodgers, Brad McGee
Green - Sprint Stuart O'Grady first turn,Allan Davis second turn, Baden Cooke third turn and final lead out for Robbie McEwan, who could get over this team? (Graham Browne as reserve)
Polka - Cadel Evans
White - Best young

Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would be a good advertisement for Australia.

luke1972 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Spider1977 wrote:
> > Brad McGee dreams of having an Aussie team in the TdeF. He's put his money where his mouth is
> > by sponsoring the NSWIS cycling program. Do you think his dream will become a reality? - vote
> > now. Of the current Aussie riders who would be best suited to win: Yellow - General
> > Classification Mick Rodgers, Brad McGee Green - Sprint Stuart O'Grady first turn,Allan Davis
> > second turn, Baden Cooke third turn and final lead out for Robbie McEwan, who could get over
> > this team? (Graham Browne as reserve) Polka - Cadel Evans White - Best young
>

> Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done
> (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would
> be a good advertisement for Australia.

Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems finding a private sponsor. I don't
see why tax-payers money needs to be used for such a good team.

Marty

> Australian tourism council/commission should cough up the cash as the new Banesto team have done
> (I believe the new sponsor is an island in Spain Illeres or something like that). Surely it would
> be a good advertisement for Australia.

Surely if the team was that good they wouldn't have any problems finding a private sponsor. I don't
see why tax-payers money needs to be used for such a good team.

Marty [/B][/QUOTE]

Tax payers money is going to be spent anyway. (Paul Hogan "put another shrimp on the bbq, Elle McPherson for Western Australia ). How much did they get paid? I assume that Steve Waugh would be getting paid for the gig below.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/sep/29waugh.htm

Look at how much the government pays for the Grand Prix. Perhaps more Europeans would come to Australia for a holiday (including watching the Tour Down Under). Other Australian companies could co sponsor the team. I think it would be a good investment. It would encourage more aussies to get off their **** and exercise as well (you would hope).

Would be great if it did happen BUT i dont think there is enough interest from the majority of the public. With the amount of money the banks make or qantas or insurance companies,there is no reason they couldnt afford a topline team.
I could only see Cadel Evans as a contender for the Yellow but he hasnt even started a Tour yet so??? Michael Rogers went awesome riding for Virenque BUT i couldnt see him ever winning.One guy im impressed with is Allan Davis.Lets hope this guy can stay on a team that doesnt close down.