Aussies once "bronzed"..

Just watched the ad, and i think the reasons why Australians are overweight are mainly because junk food with no exercise is the recipe for diaster. Its no wonder so many Australians are overweight.

statistics do say that Australians are exercising less, and that 95% are unfit.

With that site posted, theres a section to determine height/weight. How accurate can it be? cause im quite toned but yet im almost overweight?

mongoose123 said:
statistics do say that Australians are exercising less, and that 95% are unfit.

With that site posted, theres a section to determine height/weight. How accurate can it be? cause im quite toned but yet im almost overweight?
Yea i checked it out, i wouldn't say its very accurate because it doesnt take into contention muscle mass as well, its very similar to the BMI scale. i wouldn't be too fussed by it, as its just a generalisation.

happylight said:
Yea i checked it out, i wouldn't say its very accurate because it doesnt take into contention muscle mass as well, its very similar to the BMI scale. i wouldn't be too fussed by it, as its just a generalisation.
Umm, it is the BMI, and its worth getting fussed about if you are significantly over or under. As you've alluded to, near the margins, its not so clear cut.

There is considerable debate about the merits of the BMI is an accurate indicator of ideal weight, and it doesn't look like the experts on metabolic disease are going to come to consensus anytime soon.

n

Muscle weighs more than fat, am i not correct? I read somehere that theres a new indicator going around.. something about a BVI?

mongoose123 said:
Muscle weighs more than fat, am i not correct? I read somehere that theres a new indicator going around.. something about a BVI?
Muscular people can fool a BMI. Most bodybuilders and many mesomorphs have a BMI >25 without having a high body fat percentage. It works for sedentary people, though, who are really the ones that need their BMI calculated.

mongoose123 said:
Sun protection for the kids was a good move, but they should really re-consider that they are feeding them in the canteen. All seem to be consisting of meat pies and sausage rolls. Although some may have the odd healthy food, but its alot more expensive than the junk. I also remember, at the end of the day all the fruit was still in the canteen.
Meh, their lazy slack-arsed parents should give them a sandwich and apple instead of five bucks - or make the kids get it ready themselves. I always loved getting a pie and chocky donut once a week, and what's wrong with that? It's when you have it every day that you blow out.