Austral Wheel Race this Saturday

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    rooman wrote:
    > Jono L Wrote:
    >
    >>Well there was some great racing in the end, with hawthorns Stuart
    >>Vaughan having a great couple of rides!! Go stewie!!
    >>
    >>Jonoagree...

    > Good to see a biggish crowd and lots of smiling bar attendees..
    >
    > shame I didnt go by treddly or Vespa, as otherwise the logistics of
    > last night was a driver to drink , which isnt a bad thing, but when yu
    > have to drive home too..well get my drift...( now enter cycnic mode)
    > ...otherwise usual lack of organisation by the overly beaurocratically
    > run Vodafone arena..with lousy parking booth attendants taking an
    > enternity to process traffic in through a single lane, charging $9 to
    > park, taking longer to give change back than to accept the note then
    > sending you down to the boondocks for a trudge back through an area
    > they force you to walk through with innane signage of "no pedestrians"
    > and having all regular proper convenient access gates closed.."wankers"
    > , inside the food was its usual too expensive, not ready, slow cooked
    > version of a lame grease splodge, but the burger box was neat, shame it
    > was inedible, the beers were expensive at the inner bar too, $5 for a
    > can of Toohey's....cripes, no food in there and bloody hard access via
    > a lift that was overcrowded and hard to find for the newbies... so
    > what's changed..nothing but the new shirts on the CI volunteers and
    > fewer garbage bins in the bar area, leading to our table becoming a
    > refuse station for all and sundry...but good to see a bookie, the odds
    > wern't too bad...and generally in spite of the inadequcies of the venue
    > administration, everyone showed their true grit by enjoying themselves
    > under adversity..proving that riding in traffic makes us tuff,
    > resilient and able to beat the odds...
    >
    > ride a bike and be a rock....

    Yah was fun. Ian keeps telling me that secure bike storage exists..
    but I think maybe.. if you ride a track bike there and take it in. We
    took stealth Kat and parked out the front. I understand that car
    parking was a nightmare but really guys.. car parking at the bike racing?

    BTW if anyone knows of a classic Vespa for sale one of my stupider mates
    wants one. (Not that thats a reason he is stupider :)

    Dave

  2. dave

    dave Guest

    rooman wrote:
    > dave Wrote:
    >
    >>I understand that car
    >>parking was a nightmare but really guys.. car parking at the bike
    >>racing?
    >>
    >>BTW if anyone knows of a classic Vespa for sale one of my stupider
    >>mates
    >>wants one. (Not that thats a reason he is stupider :)
    >>
    >>Dave

    > correctomundo..found my self in the car by automatic-so used to driving
    > to Disc from Beau-y that I was on Punt Rd before I realised it was
    > Vodafone I was heading for...doh!, in fact if they had two guys with a
    > bag and some change and some parking tickets at the gate they would
    > have had no delays, back ups or any traffic snarls..instead it was to
    > guys playing "cluelesscashier"in a little booth, whislt 4 other so
    > called "parking"attendants looked on and with the other entry booth
    > lane blocked off...hence nightmare...
    >
    > as for Vespa, my riding/drinking/fellow Sthn Vet buddy rode there last
    > night on his Vespa...priceless in the circumstances.
    >
    > Riding to Vodafone is Ok if you havnt too far to ride, or you want to
    > train it home too....but after riding in the morning, then riding
    > 22klms to Vodafone, I wasnt too keen to get on the treddly and ride
    > back another 22klmsaround midnight with the hoons and bogans on the
    > Nepean or Beach Rd..could have taken the train tho...maybe next time
    > ..ride/train/ride

    It does depend on where u is coming from :)

    Ummm ask ur mate about vespas. He wasnt the guy who challenged Kath and
    me to a drag? That was a vespa. (Us on stealth Kat)

    Dave

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > Great night of racing... I'll be going back.. but a few things that I'd
    > like to discuss...
    >
    > After the rider crash on the north bend (stretcher out, medical staff
    > were in a slow-mo flurry) there was a group of kids (8-12yo?) who
    > rushed to the inside of the track to hold up their sign.. I'm not 100%
    > sure if I am correct on the exact message, but I believe it was "Go
    > Bandidos".. ? It was facing away from me, so it may have been
    > something else... either way...
    >
    > You little b*stards.. how about showing some respect and common
    > curtesy!?!? Sit the f*ck back down with your fat a*s parents and DO
    > NOT EXPLOIT SOME POOR RIDERS CRASH TO PROMOTE YOUR CAUSE. Would you
    > flock to a car crash scene and hold up signs in the hope of making the
    > news? Totally unacceptable. Totally inappropriate. If you want to be
    > noticed then get a god damn bike, get on the track, and get good.
    >
    > ..that and the fact CI sold out of programs before the event even
    > started!.. hang on... while I'm on a roll.. the commentators treating
    > the Japanese riders with their 1940's attitude... argh..
    >

    > GPL

    We had about 14 people using our program Woohoo :)

    Dave

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    rooman wrote:
    > Jono L Wrote:
    > > Well there was some great racing in the end, with hawthorns Stuart
    > > Vaughan having a great couple of rides!! Go stewie!!
    > >
    > > Jonoagree...

    > Good to see a biggish crowd and lots of smiling bar attendees..
    >
    > shame I didnt go by treddly or Vespa, as otherwise the logistics of
    > last night was a driver to drink ,

    [sooking deleted]

    There's loads of parking, and it's free. Just park on Alexander Pde
    and walk for 5-10 minutes (it's nice to have a bit of a walk :) ), and
    BYO food & drink. What sporting/entertainment venue doesn't only ever
    serve crap?

  5. pase

    pase New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    i ended up parking in the city and walking across. by the time i got there, all the carparks were full, thanks to the soccer

    i thought it was a fairly decent crowd there, considering the lack of promotion of track cycling events

  6. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, one thing that suprised me heaps, the lack of bikes parked out the front.
    Knowing I had was going out riding on the Sunday, I BYO'ed food, knowing that it was going to be crap.

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    When I locked up outside Vodaphone for the Melbourne Cup on Wheels, there was only five bikes. Last Saturday was a definate improvement, lots of fixies, commuters & a dash of bike p0rn for good measure. ;)