Australia Day Frolics

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    The Melb Belgian Beer Cafe & PBS-FM have organised a interesting event for this Australia Day:

    Australia Day Music and Cycling Festival:
    http://www.pbsfm.org.au/Documents.a...ts:+Australia+Day+Music+and+Cycling+Festival+

    Beer, bikes, hot weather....hmmmmm
    http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV10450.txt
    Thursday: Fine. Min 19 Max 40

    Think the residents of Beer Can Hill shall be partaking in this event, plus possibly hanging around a bunch of ner'do-wells from Shifter Bikes alongside the Yarra. http://shifterbikes.homestead.com

    So, beat hyperthermia, stay in the shade, drink plenty of fluid and talk endless crap about bikes. Sounds like a plan, huh?

    Tags:

  2. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

    I heard about this and after a quick scan, i am failing to see where the "cycling" part comes into it...unless they mean, you cycle there, which would be no fun as 40 degrees, bikes and beer do not mix at all..
    Did anyone go to this last year and if so, what was the cycle relevance?

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-23, coowoowoo (aka Bruce)

    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    >> The Melb Belgian Beer Cafe & PBS-FM have organised a interesting event
    >> for this Australia Day:
    >>
    >> Australia Day Music and Cycling Festival:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9ohqv

    Mmmmm. Leffe Brüne. I wonder what the costs of the BBQ etc are...

    > I heard about this and after a quick scan, i am failing to see where
    > the "cycling" part comes into it...unless they mean, you cycle there,
    > which would be no fun as 40 degrees, bikes and beer do not mix at
    > all..
    > Did anyone go to this last year and if so, what was the cycle
    > relevance?

    It said "Cycling giveaways".

    They're giving away a Luna :)

    --
    TimC
    Warning: No foo present. Your life may be in grave danger.

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > On 2006-01-23, coowoowoo (aka Bruce)
    > >
    > > cfsmtb Wrote:
    > >> The Melb Belgian Beer Cafe & PBS-FM have organised a interesting event
    > >> for this Australia Day:
    > >>
    > >> Australia Day Music and Cycling Festival:
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/9ohqv

    > Mmmmm. Leffe Brüne. I wonder what the costs of the BBQ etc are...
    >
    > > I heard about this and after a quick scan, i am failing to see where
    > > the "cycling" part comes into it...unless they mean, you cycle there,
    > > which would be no fun as 40 degrees, bikes and beer do not mix at
    > > all..
    > > Did anyone go to this last year and if so, what was the cycle
    > > relevance?

    > It said "Cycling giveaways".
    >
    > They're giving away a Luna :)

    I AM THERE!

    Tam :D

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    A quick read of the site reveals *free swag* to be given away. Or maybe it's a big talk session where we all kick back & chatter about bike p0rn & related bling. Or just a marketing ploy. What a novel & unique proposition...never heard of that before.. :D

    As for "40 degrees, bikes and beer do not mix at all", a fair bit of this activity was going on *after* the AAC. As F*st*rs says: Enjoy Responsibly! :)

  6. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Bikes and beer don't mix? Especially belgian beer? Damn I'm doing it all wrong then :) If it wasn't so expensive I wouldn't mind a jersey and knicks like this:

    http://store.velogear.com/duloslje.html

    Adam

  7. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Hadn't thought that far ahead to, um, er, Friday evening. Personal choice if you wish. :)

  9. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Goat would be good. I like Goat. I like beer and I'm NOT ON CALL :)

  10. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Okay dokey, Euan and I shall be Goating it this Friday but most likely not in cycling clothes. Friday 27th Jan @ The Mountain Goat Brewery, Cnr North & Clark Streets, Richmond. We will be there from 6pm. Might see some of you. :D

  11. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

    Okay... Firstly.. giving away a L'una....ooohhh...droooolllllll. I could do with a new "bianchi of love".

    Secondly.. i like beer and bike, but just not on a 40 degree day.. I would be hammered on the smell of it.

    Thirdly... anyone know when the free giveaways may be? Morning, afternoon, evening?

  12. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    a Luna Tracky perchance! if so I'll buy all the raffle tickets!!
    :D :D

    Hmm.. Tam is an ex-boxer.. that's not good, is it????

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-24, SuzieB (aka Bruce)

    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    >> The Melb Belgian Beer Cafe & PBS-FM have organised a interesting event
    >> for this Australia Day:
    >>
    >> Australia Day Music and Cycling Festival:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/9ohqv
    >>
    >> So, beat hyperthermia, stay in the shade, drink plenty of fluid and
    >> talk endless crap about bikes. Sounds like a plan, huh?

    > Is it envisioned that this will be instead of or in addition to Goatage
    > this week?

    I hope a substitute. I will barely be able to afford BBC alone (but
    have been looking forward to going for a while, so must make it) :(

    Oooh! I know! I could just not have a drink and go to both. But
    going to a pub and not having a drink? Wouldn't that require as much
    self control as having snakes in a container on the desk, and not
    eating them? BWUHAHAHA!

    --
    TimC
    pivot_root manpage: BUGS:

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    warrwych wrote:

    > TimC Wrote:
    > > It said "Cycling giveaways".
    > >
    > > They're giving away a Luna :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > TimC
    > > Warning: No foo present. Your life may be in grave danger.

    > a Luna Tracky perchance! if so I'll buy all the raffle tickets!!
    > :D :D
    >
    > Hmm.. Tam is an ex-boxer.. that's not good, is it????

    Aside from that, I throw very good tantrums

    *stamps foot*

    *pouts*

    *cries*

    I WANT A L'UNA!

    (Hasn't worked on Mummy so far unfortunately)

  15. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    We can have a a.b tanty duel then! I am tanty queen! :D

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Can I be fight referee?

  17. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

    Only if i can be a substitute when one of them goes down. I warn you, i will fight to the death over the L'una.. i have that whole..whatever it takes.. mentality..

  18. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Um, er, you're lucky I don't want a L'una.

    I WANT a Merlin Cielo.

    Now returning briefly to topic, the Aus Day Festival has a $5 cover charge. Thought some of you may want to know that.

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-24, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > warrwych Wrote:
    >> We can have a a.b tanty duel then! I am tanty queen! :D

    > Can I be fight referee?

    I'll fight ya for it!

    --
    TimC
    We don't need no education

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-24, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > coowoowoo Wrote:
    >> Only if i can be a substitute when one of them goes down. I warn you, i
    >> will fight to the death over the L'una.. i have that whole..whatever it
    >> takes.. mentality..

    > Um, er, you're lucky I don't want a L'una.
    >
    > I WANT a Merlin Cielo.
    >
    > Now returning briefly to topic, the Aus Day Festival has a $5 cover
    > charge. Thought some of you may want to know that.

    Some of us are indeed grateful for that information.

    Ta.

    --
    TimC
    New!: Sysadmin Barbie! Complete with tiny pager, Leatherman, selection of