Australia swimming

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mike Sullivan, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. What is the training and competitive environment
    like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
    My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
    dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
    for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
    area? I have friends there that can put her up.

    Thanks
    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > What is the training and competitive environment
    > like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
    > My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
    > dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
    > for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
    > area? I have friends there that can put her up.

    Perth has one of the best and largest aquatic centres in the world.
    Plenty of good clubs to train with.

    <http://www1.challengestadium.wa.gov.au/>

  3. King Frog

    King Frog Guest

    Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > What is the training and competitive environment
    > like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
    > My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
    > dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
    > for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
    > area? I have friends there that can put her up.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    for further information go to http://www.wasa.asn.au/

    KF

  4. Helix

    Helix Guest

    Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > What is the training and competitive environment
    > like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
    > My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
    > dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
    > for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
    > area? I have friends there that can put her up.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Worth it just for the experience of living there.

  5. Mike Sullivan wrote:

    > What is the training and competitive environment
    > like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
    > My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
    > dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
    > for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
    > area? I have friends there that can put her up.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    If you attend a school WITHOUT a good training program in Australia I would
    be surprised.

    I started swimming lessons at school at about age 7 in the local school's
    25M outdoor pool. By age 11 there were regular Saturday morning swimming
    trials at the school and we learned the basics of lifesaving and CPR.

    High School had a heated 25M indoor pool. By the beginning of high school
    everyone is expected to be competent in the four major strokes.

    Last week the swimming trials were on TV. In Australia swimming trials are
    prime time television.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200503/1321694.htm?queensland

    So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

    gtoomey

  6. "Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mike Sullivan wrote:

    snip

    > So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

    Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
    club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
    mechanics and land workouts?

  7. Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > "Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Mike Sullivan wrote:
    >>

    > snip
    >

    >>So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

    > Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
    > club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
    > mechanics and land workouts?

    There is no off-season. There is the winter season and the summer
    season. Sept-Dec is the end of the winter season and the beginning of
    the summer season.

  8. TonyB

    TonyB Guest

    Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > "Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Mike Sullivan wrote:
    > >

    > snip
    > >

    > > So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

    > Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
    > club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
    > mechanics and land workouts?

    Normally September to December would be the preparatory phase leading
    up to State Championships. Club meets tend to span the whole year with
    a basis towards the warmer months from November to March.

    For 2005-2006 however the situation may be slightly different in that
    Australian Championships are likely to be in January, forcing State
    Championships to an earlier date, in the case of South Australia at
    least to December. This may have an effect on club meets as well.

    The effect for 2005-6 is caused by the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne
    in March, but the effect is likely to be repeated the following season
    too with the World Championships in Melbourne in the same time frame.

    To gain some idea of the swimming programme in Australia I recommend
    the Swimming Australia website at www.swimming.org.au, which contains
    links to state associations and thence to clubs. Unfortunately however
    the SAL site does not yet contain the date of the 2006 Australian Open
    Championships, causing some angst at State level as they try to
    formulate their own programmes.