Australia swimming

Mike Sullivan

Guest
What is the training and competitive environment
like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
area? I have friends there that can put her up.

Thanks
Mike

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> What is the training and competitive environment
> like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
> My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
> dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
> for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
> area? I have friends there that can put her up.

Perth has one of the best and largest aquatic centres in the world.
Plenty of good clubs to train with.

<http://www1.challengestadium.wa.gov.au/>

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> What is the training and competitive environment
> like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
> My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
> dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
> for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
> area? I have friends there that can put her up.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

for further information go to http://www.wasa.asn.au/

KF

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> What is the training and competitive environment
> like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
> My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
> dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
> for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
> area? I have friends there that can put her up.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Worth it just for the experience of living there.

Mike Sullivan wrote:

> What is the training and competitive environment
> like in Australia from end of August through mid December?
> My daughter is a competitive swimmer, will be 18, is
> dedicated but not yet fast. Is there an opportunity
> for good training, coaching, and good experience in the Perth
> area? I have friends there that can put her up.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

If you attend a school WITHOUT a good training program in Australia I would
be surprised.

I started swimming lessons at school at about age 7 in the local school's
25M outdoor pool. By age 11 there were regular Saturday morning swimming
trials at the school and we learned the basics of lifesaving and CPR.

High School had a heated 25M indoor pool. By the beginning of high school
everyone is expected to be competent in the four major strokes.

Last week the swimming trials were on TV. In Australia swimming trials are
prime time television.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200503/1321694.htm?queensland

So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

gtoomey

"Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Sullivan wrote:

snip

> So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
mechanics and land workouts?

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> "Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Mike Sullivan wrote:
>>

> snip
>

>>So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

> Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
> club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
> mechanics and land workouts?

There is no off-season. There is the winter season and the summer
season. Sept-Dec is the end of the winter season and the beginning of
the summer season.

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> "Gregory Toomey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Mike Sullivan wrote:
> >

> snip
> >

> > So yes I would expect that you can find good coaching in Perth.

> Is Sept-Dec more of an 'on-season' or 'off-season' ? Would the
> club swimmers be preparing for major meets, or working stroke
> mechanics and land workouts?

Normally September to December would be the preparatory phase leading
up to State Championships. Club meets tend to span the whole year with
a basis towards the warmer months from November to March.

For 2005-2006 however the situation may be slightly different in that
Australian Championships are likely to be in January, forcing State
Championships to an earlier date, in the case of South Australia at
least to December. This may have an effect on club meets as well.

The effect for 2005-6 is caused by the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne
in March, but the effect is likely to be repeated the following season
too with the World Championships in Melbourne in the same time frame.

To gain some idea of the swimming programme in Australia I recommend
the Swimming Australia website at www.swimming.org.au, which contains
links to state associations and thence to clubs. Unfortunately however
the SAL site does not yet contain the date of the 2006 Australian Open
Championships, causing some angst at State level as they try to
formulate their own programmes.