Australian made

Scotttri

Oct 11, 2005
Just curious to know if there are many australian bike manufactures. Avanti is well known and quality New Zealand bike brand. Does Australia have any??? If so what are they like. Do they make time trial/ Tri bikes???

Scotttri said:
Just curious to know if there are many australian bike manufactures. Avanti is well known and quality New Zealand bike brand. Does Australia have any??? If so what are they like. Do they make time trial/ Tri bikes???
Hi Scott,

I happened across this site yesterday as it so happens. Don't know if it is definitive of Aus & NZ manufactured bikes but may assist anyway.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/brands.html

cheers

AdamVW
smile.gif

While the Avanti brand is NZ the bikes are made offshore in the same factories as most other common brands.
Australia has companies that do the same thing, Apollo/Raceline probably cater to a wider market than the others but remember brands like MalvernStar and Speedwell, they are still there selling cheapies and there are others that I can't think of right now.
Way back in the dark ages Malvern Star were Australian made and ridden by top riders.

If you're after a Tri/TT frame, I don't know anyone in Australia more experienced than Teschner.

We can do custom Tri/TT frames, but most of our stuff is built in Nth America and we don't subscribe to the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi manufacturing is so awesome and mysterious' mindset, so that might count us out.

Thylacine said:
we don't subscribe to the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi manufacturing is so awesome and mysterious' mindset, so that might count us out.
+1

Most bikes these days are a bit like a mini-United Nations of parts made all over the globe.

To think that you can buy a particular brand and have all of your money going to a manufacturer of a particular nationality is very difficult these days, unless you buy Italian. For everything else (even for an NZ manufacturer like Avanti), bits of your money are likely to be going to Taiwan, China, Japan, Europe, and the manufactuer's home country.

Having said that, if you do want to spend to keep as much staying locally as possible, then buy a custom bike from one of few remaining AU builders.

n

I just thought of something.

If your aim in 'buying Australian Made' was 'keeping more money in the country', then you may as well buy a Giant, because the amount of profit made on a bike as it goes through AU wholesale and retail far outstrips what the manufacturer would make, and certainly employs more Australians than any other arm of the bike biz.

Actually there's not much justification I can think of for 'Buy Australian Made' if 'Made' actually means 'Manufacturered'.

Just get a Cervelo. :)

Thylacine said:
I just thought of something.

If your aim in 'buying Australian Made' was 'keeping more money in the country', then you may as well buy a Giant, because the amount of profit made on a bike as it goes through AU wholesale and retail far outstrips what the manufacturer would make, and certainly employs more Australians than any other arm of the bike biz.

Actually there's not much justification I can think of for 'Buy Australian Made' if 'Made' actually means 'Manufacturered'.

Just get a Cervelo. :)
I'm not all about buying australian made, but was just curious to see if there were any australian manufactures that made them.

Thylacine said:
Not sure a lugged steel bike is the right solution for TT/Tri.
You wouldn't want to use a Llewellyn, it would get stolen while your doing the swim leg.

AdamVW said:
Hi Scott,

Well, I'm excited :p

Saturday I get to pick up my new 'quite a bit made in Australia' new tri bike. It may not be the dearest on the market but I am very much looking forward to it.

This is my new set of wheels below :cool:

http://www.apollobikes.com/apolloproducts/id/45/cid/17/parent/0/t/apolloproducts/title/Ventoux

My Big-W commuter will get Sundays off from now on :D

Cheers

AdamVW :)
I had an appolo mountain bike for a few years and just recently gave it away when i got a new MTB. It went very well for what it cost.

jerrek said:
I had an appolo mountain bike for a few years and just recently gave it away when i got a new MTB. It went very well for what it cost.
Thanks for the reply Jerrek, It is good to hear good comments such at this, especially when you spend a reasonable lump of money on something.

cheers

Scotttri said:
Looks like a nice bike adam, good luck with the triathlons!!
Thanks for the reply Scott,

I managed to have a quick ride on it yesterday and the bike seems great, I just need to learn how to ride it :rolleyes:

My club, Rockingham Triathlon Club held its first race today but I wasn't brave enough to take it our for a spin, helped with the road closures instead. Besides, It threatened to rain and no way was I going to get it dirty :eek:

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers