Australian manufactured bike - kid's in particular - any about?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Russell Wyatt, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work practices
    (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm in
    Sydney.

    Regards

    Russell
    Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

    Tags:

  2. doofus

    doofus Guest

    http://www.LEARSPORT.COM.AU

    my brother inlaw bourght a racer from here thru ebay........very good value

    "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work practices
    > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    in
    > Sydney.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Russell
    > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

  3. SloCoach

    SloCoach Guest

    Thanks

    However they do appear to source from Taiwan and China as well as some from
    Australia. In any event they don't have anything for a 3 year old.

    It's a sad state of affairs isn't it Raleigh moved production from UK to
    far-east last year so it's looking pretty difficult (possibly impossible) to
    find anything not made in China.

    Russell

    "doofus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.LEARSPORT.COM.AU
    >
    > my brother inlaw bourght a racer from here thru ebay........very good

    value

    > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    > > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work

    practices
    > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    > in
    > > Sydney.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Russell
    > > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Russell Wyatt wrote:

    > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm in

    According to Bicycles Network Australia
    http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/brands.html

    Elite Bicycles are made in Australia http://www.elitebicycles.com

    but I couldn't check what they had because the website was down (or that
    link is wrong, I don't know, I have a mega-old browser).

    Tamyka

  5. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Is malvern Star made off shore??????

    "SloCoach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks
    >
    > However they do appear to source from Taiwan and China as well as some

    from
    > Australia. In any event they don't have anything for a 3 year old.
    >
    > It's a sad state of affairs isn't it Raleigh moved production from UK to
    > far-east last year so it's looking pretty difficult (possibly impossible)

    > find anything not made in China.
    >
    > Russell
    >
    > "doofus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > http://www.LEARSPORT.COM.AU
    > >
    > > my brother inlaw bourght a racer from here thru ebay........very good

    > value

    > > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday.

    > > > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work

    > practices
    > > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for

    suitable
    > > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them?

    I'm
    > > in
    > > > Sydney.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > Russell
    > > > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

  6. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    "doofus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.LEARSPORT.COM.AU
    >
    > my brother inlaw bourght a racer from here thru ebay........very good value

    > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    > > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work practices
    > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    > in
    > > Sydney.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Russell
    > > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

    Um, a racer for a 3yo? I'm afraid it will be difficult to find a
    non-3rd world manufactured bicycle for your son, but I wish you luck
    anyway.

    Ritch.

    PS. Remember that England employed 5-9 year-old children as filthy
    jobs as chimney sweeps as recently as the mid 19th century.

    For example,
    http://www.people.man.ac.uk/~mfssszpk/LondonChildren.pdf

  7. SloCoach

    SloCoach Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Russell Wyatt wrote:
    >
    > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    in

    > According to Bicycles Network Australia
    > http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/brands.html
    >
    > Elite Bicycles are made in Australia http://www.elitebicycles.com
    >
    > but I couldn't check what they had because the website was down (or that
    > link is wrong, I don't know, I have a mega-old browser).
    >
    > Tamyka

    Thanks. However that might be for when he's off the training wheels - by
    about 16 years!

    Russell

  8. SloCoach

    SloCoach Guest

    Sad to say yes. Just a brand, the guy at Pacific Brands had no idea about
    manufacturing conditions (that says they don't care to me).

    So far Trek doesn't look too bad, at least they claim that they check
    regularly, that way they get the quality.

    Russell

    "doofus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is malvern Star made off shore??????
    >

    > "SloCoach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > However they do appear to source from Taiwan and China as well as some

    > from
    > > Australia. In any event they don't have anything for a 3 year old.
    > >
    > > It's a sad state of affairs isn't it Raleigh moved production from UK to
    > > far-east last year so it's looking pretty difficult (possibly

    impossible)
    > > find anything not made in China.
    > >
    > > Russell
    > >
    > > "doofus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > http://www.LEARSPORT.COM.AU
    > > >
    > > > my brother inlaw bourght a racer from here thru ebay........very good

    > > value

    > > > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    birthday.

    > > practices

    > suitable

    > I'm
    > > > in

  9. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:40:04 +1000
    Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Russell Wyatt wrote:
    >
    >> (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    >> manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm in

    > According to Bicycles Network Australia
    > http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/brands.html
    >
    > Elite Bicycles are made in Australia http://www.elitebicycles.com

    Well.. there's an Elite Bicycles at that site, but they are made in
    America. Mind you, they say the contract out the welding and painting,
    imply to Americans but it's not stated for sure.

    Zebee

  10. Slocoach wrote:
    > Sad to say yes. Just a brand, the guy at Pacific Brands had no idea
    > about manufacturing conditions (that says they don't care to me).
    > So far Trek doesn't look too bad, at least they claim that they check
    > regularly, that way they get the quality.

    I think you get into some philosophical difficulties when you start t
    apply selective morality. People could come back and say: But Trek is
    USA brand. Isn't that the country with the biggest stock of weapons o
    mass destruction, which imprisons more of its citizens than almost an
    other, that executes its citizens and that holds prisoners of (illegal
    war indefinitely and contrary to all international conventions, bu
    that's all right because it refuses to sign up the the World Court wher
    it might be held accountable

    Most countries (alas, even ours!) have their wicked and selfish ways an
    it is sometimes hard to make good judgements on their worth. China i
    trying hard on many fronts, but has a long way to go to be considere
    truly civilized. So, in different ways, does the USA

    John Retchfor

    -

  11. "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work practices
    > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    in
    > Sydney.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Russell
    > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

    Just a suggestion - why not 'recycle' and buy 2nd hand?
    Cheers Gemma

  12. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Im waiting for them to remove Mugabe , besides oil there isnt much
    difference between him & Saddam.

    "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Slocoach wrote:
    > > Sad to say yes. Just a brand, the guy at Pacific Brands had no idea
    > > about manufacturing conditions (that says they don't care to me).
    > > So far Trek doesn't look too bad, at least they claim that they check
    > > regularly, that way they get the quality.

    > I think you get into some philosophical difficulties when you start to
    > apply selective morality. People could come back and say: But Trek is a
    > USA brand. Isn't that the country with the biggest stock of weapons of
    > mass destruction, which imprisons more of its citizens than almost any
    > other, that executes its citizens and that holds prisoners of (illegal)
    > war indefinitely and contrary to all international conventions, but
    > that's all right because it refuses to sign up the the World Court where
    > it might be held accountable?
    >
    > Most countries (alas, even ours!) have their wicked and selfish ways and
    > it is sometimes hard to make good judgements on their worth. China is
    > trying hard on many fronts, but has a long way to go to be considered
    > truly civilized. So, in different ways, does the USA.
    >
    > John Retchford
    >

    > --

  13. "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday. I
    > > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work

    practices
    > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable
    > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them? I'm

    > in
    > > Sydney.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Russell
    > > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

    > Just a suggestion - why not 'recycle' and buy 2nd hand?
    > Cheers Gemma

    A good suggestion too. Will see what can be found.

    Russell

  14. "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Slocoach wrote:
    > > Sad to say yes. Just a brand, the guy at Pacific Brands had no idea
    > > about manufacturing conditions (that says they don't care to me).
    > > So far Trek doesn't look too bad, at least they claim that they check
    > > regularly, that way they get the quality.

    > I think you get into some philosophical difficulties when you start to
    > apply selective morality. People could come back and say: But Trek is a
    > USA brand. Isn't that the country with the biggest stock of weapons of
    > mass destruction, which imprisons more of its citizens than almost any
    > other, that executes its citizens and that holds prisoners of (illegal)
    > war indefinitely and contrary to all international conventions, but
    > that's all right because it refuses to sign up the the World Court where
    > it might be held accountable?
    >
    > Most countries (alas, even ours!) have their wicked and selfish ways and
    > it is sometimes hard to make good judgements on their worth. China is
    > trying hard on many fronts, but has a long way to go to be considered
    > truly civilized. So, in different ways, does the USA.
    >
    > John Retchford

    I quite agree. The US and Australia (and no doubt others) have very
    questionable morals on many issues. However, it generally seems to be the
    case that people employed in factories in these countries are looked after
    to some extent by unions. It's true, though, that here in Australia, many
    'Made in Australia' items (probably not bikes though) are made for less than
    the minimum wage, by home workers. The whole thing stinks. I'm very happy
    indeed to buy goods from any country, if I'm assured as far as possible that
    the goods are made and traded under (what most people would call) fair and
    reasonable conditions. There doesn't seem to be a clear way for the consumer
    to be able to tell that goods have been made and traded fairly (except
    buying through the limited sources of fair trade goods, such as Oxfam), and
    until that is the case the only option seems to be to make a judgment based
    on the little information we have, such as information on human rights and
    employee rights.
    Russell

  15. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Russell Wyatt wrote:
    > "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Slocoach wrote:
    >> > Sad to say yes. Just a brand, the guy at Pacific Brands had no idea
    >> > about manufacturing conditions (that says they don't care to me).
    >> > So far Trek doesn't look too bad, at least they claim that they check
    >> > regularly, that way they get the quality.

    >>I think you get into some philosophical difficulties when you start to
    >>apply selective morality. People could come back and say: But Trek is a
    >>USA brand. Isn't that the country with the biggest stock of weapons of
    >>mass destruction, which imprisons more of its citizens than almost any
    >>other, that executes its citizens and that holds prisoners of (illegal)
    >>war indefinitely and contrary to all international conventions, but
    >>that's all right because it refuses to sign up the the World Court where
    >>it might be held accountable?
    >>
    >>Most countries (alas, even ours!) have their wicked and selfish ways and
    >>it is sometimes hard to make good judgements on their worth. China is
    >>trying hard on many fronts, but has a long way to go to be considered
    >>truly civilized. So, in different ways, does the USA.
    >>
    >>John Retchford
    >>

    > I quite agree. The US and Australia (and no doubt others) have very
    > questionable morals on many issues. However, it generally seems to be the
    > case that people employed in factories in these countries are looked after
    > to some extent by unions. It's true, though, that here in Australia, many
    > 'Made in Australia' items (probably not bikes though) are made for less than
    > the minimum wage, by home workers. The whole thing stinks. I'm very happy
    > indeed to buy goods from any country, if I'm assured as far as possible that
    > the goods are made and traded under (what most people would call) fair and
    > reasonable conditions. There doesn't seem to be a clear way for the consumer
    > to be able to tell that goods have been made and traded fairly (except
    > buying through the limited sources of fair trade goods, such as Oxfam), and
    > until that is the case the only option seems to be to make a judgment based
    > on the little information we have, such as information on human rights and
    > employee rights.
    > Russell

    Unfortunately, I reckon you'll have trouble finding one truly
    manufactured in Aus. Even if you did, the components are almost certain
    to be Chinese or Taiwanese made anyway.

    I reckon Gemma's idea is good - go 2nd hand. An Aussie (resident) will
    get the money and you'll get better value anyway.

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > According to Bicycles Network Australia
    > > http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/brands.html
    > >
    > > Elite Bicycles are made in Australia http://www.elitebicycles.com
    > >

    > Well.. there's an Elite Bicycles at that site, but they are made in
    > America. Mind you, they say the contract out the welding and painting,
    > imply to Americans but it's not stated for sure.
    >
    > Zebee

    Dodgy bastards, aren't they?
    --

    ______________________________________

    Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
    School of Human Movement Studies
    The University Of Queensland
    w: +61-7-33656105
    m: +61-4-00782972
    e: [email protected]
    ______________________________________

  17. D&M Johnston

    D&M Johnston Guest

    "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Russell Wyatt" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking to buy a kid's bike for my sons forthcoming 3rd birthday.

    > > > would like to avoid supporting countries with exploitative work

    > practices
    > > > (eg China, Indonesia etc) Does anyone have any suggestions for

    suitable
    > > > manufacturers (preferably made in Aus) and where I might find them?

    I'm
    > > in
    > > > Sydney.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > Russell
    > > > Shwinn MTB with a kids seat on the back.

    > > Just a suggestion - why not 'recycle' and buy 2nd hand?
    > > Cheers Gemma

    > A good suggestion too. Will see what can be found.
    >
    > Russell

    The only other alternative that I could think of is to find an Australian
    frame builder to make one up for you as at least your child can be measured,
    but would that be worth it as children grow up so quick and will be too
    small in a couple of years and it would still require mostly foreign
    components.I think it'd be too expensive to even consider.
    Regards
    DJ