Australian Team

Russ Reynolds

Mar 10, 2007
If you were the CEO of a big Australian Company and your product had a presence around the World, would you even hesitate at sponsoring and promoting an Australian Team for the World Tours given the huge exposure you would receive ?

Perhaps nobody has put forward any serious, workable or realistic proposal.
I think it would also require some of the big name Aussies to be on the team to help entice the said big name company. No big name Aussie rider would commit to a new untried team that has as yet no main sponsor.
Plus I'm sure the objective would be to get a Pro Tour spot to get that maximum exposure required.

Catch 22, it would make for some very hard frustrating work from whomever tries.
Not impossible but would be a tough job getting all the cards in place.

Trev_S said:
I think it would also require some of the big name Aussies to be on the team to help entice the said big name company. No big name Aussie rider would commit to a new untried team that has as yet no main sponsor.
Plus I'm sure the objective would be to get a Pro Tour spot to get that maximum exposure required.
Disco (Tail Wind Sports) needs a sponsor. Dump Levi. Hire Evans, who has a **** team as far as support in GTs goes. Hire several more young aussies for the team's B squad, which is currently made up of a mix of nationalities that Discovery Channel wants exposure in.

Trev_S said:

Catch 22, it would make for some very hard frustrating work from whomever tries.
Not impossible but would be a tough job getting all the cards in place.
Yea I know it would be a difficult challenge but it has already been done by other overseas sponsors so there is no reason why Australia can't find it's own US Postal. I'm thinking a Qantas or similar. I am old enough to remember the debates years ago when Aust. didn't have it own Grand Prix circuit. Many people said then that it would never happen. Now, not too many years later, it's one of the most professionally organised races on the calendar.
So how do they deturmin the short list for a Pro Tour spot ?

Russ Reynolds said:
Yea I know it would be a difficult challenge but it has already been done by other overseas sponsors so there is no reason why Australia can't find it's own US Postal. I'm thinking a Qantas or similar. I am old enough to remember the debates years ago when Aust. didn't have it own Grand Prix circuit. Many people said then that it would never happen. Now, not too many years later, it's one of the most professionally organised races on the calendar.
So how do they deturmin the short list for a Pro Tour spot ?
I think it would be fantastic, It would need to be a company with European interests.
You always hear Mick Rogers, Stuey O'Grady Matty White, Brad McGee, Robbie and friends say how good any Aussie team would be

Does anyone know what the costs are for a main team sponsor. Say a CSC or Credit Ag. etc. I work for an Australian company with over 20,000 staff operating in over 30 countries, and will be having dinner with the CEO ( and a few hundred others ) in a few weeks time. If I get the opportunity, I'll plant the seed, but I'll need to know some $ figures. I know it's in the millions but does anyone have any more accurate figures ?

Russ Reynolds said:
Does anyone know what the costs are for a main team sponsor. Say a CSC or Credit Ag. etc. I work for an Australian company with over 20,000 staff operating in over 30 countries, and will be having dinner with the CEO ( and a few hundred others ) in a few weeks time. If I get the opportunity, I'll plant the seed, but I'll need to know some $ figures. I know it's in the millions but does anyone have any more accurate figures ?
I have no idea, but someone like Phil Anderson might be able to help.
I don't have his details, but John Trevorrow, former Herald sun tour winner and pro, has a bike shop in Geelong and he would know.
John Trevorrow cycles - 03 5278 8088

Russ Reynolds said:
The total budgets of Pro Tour teams in 2005 ranged from 3.3 million euros for Saunier-Duval to 18 million for T-Mobile. Twelve teams had budgets between 6 and 9 million, and seven of those teams had budgets between 6 and 7 million. Only three teams had budgets of more than 10 million (Phonak, Rabobank, and T-Mobile). Two teams had budgets less than 6 million (Saunier and Liquigas). CSC was the worlds number one team and had a budget of 6 million. Budgets may have gone up in the last two years.

Credit Agricole had a budget of 6 million.

The main sponsor provides the bulk of the budget so I think you are looking at 5 million minimum.

Bro Deal said:
The total budgets of Pro Tour teams in 2005 ranged from 3.3 million euros for Saunier-Duval to 18 million for T-Mobile. Twelve teams had budgets between 6 and 9 million, and seven of those teams had budgets between 6 and 7 million. Only three teams had budgets of more than 10 million (Phonak, Rabobank, and T-Mobile). Two teams had budgets less than 6 million (Saunier and Liquigas). CSC was the worlds number one team and had a budget of 6 million. Budgets may have gone up in the last two years.

Credit Agricole had a budget of 6 million.

The main sponsor provides the bulk of the budget so I think you are looking at 5 million minimum.
Thanks Fellas. If our CEO goes for it, I'll cut you in for a slice of the action. What role do you want in the team ? I bags being the chief food taster.

Russ Reynolds said:
Thanks Fellas. If our CEO goes for it, I'll cut you in for a slice of the action. What role do you want in the team ? I bags being the chief food taster.
Apparently sponsoring cycling teams is excellent value for money. Much cheaper than sponsoring a lot of other sports. Especially if you get a ride in the Tour.

Cycle Sport seems to run articles to this affect quite regularly.

Russ Reynolds said:
Ill take chief free bike receiver!

Russ Reynolds said:
I thought Fosters was going sponsor an international Aussie cycling team.

Think of it, you could have Stella Artois on jesey while in Belgium, Corona while in Mexico, Asahi while in Japan and Beringer while in US.:D

Seriously, I thought I heard something about Fosters and cycling around the first of the year.

lw

lwedge said:
I thought Fosters was going sponsor an international Aussie cycling team.

Think of it, you could have Stella Artois on jesey while in Belgium, Corona while in Mexico, Asahi while in Japan and Beringer while in US.:D

Seriously, I thought I heard something about Fosters and cycling around the first of the year.

lw
Bump!

Any of you blokes heard of the Foster Group's thoughts on this ?

-

lwedge said:
Bump!

Any of you blokes heard of the Foster Group's thoughts on this ?

-
Havent heard of Fosters becoming a sponsor. Are they still Australian ? Dunno about other parts of the country but I don't know of one pub here in Steel City that serves Fosters. Pity Big Kev wasn't still around hey ? Now that would be GOLD to have Stuey O' sprinting to the line with Big Kev's face splattered on the front of a Jersey. I'm excited !

Russ Reynolds said:
Havent heard of Fosters becoming a sponsor. Are they still Australian ? Dunno about other parts of the country but I don't know of one pub here in Steel City that serves Fosters. Pity Big Kev wasn't still around hey ? Now that would be GOLD to have Stuey O' sprinting to the line with Big Kev's face splattered on the front of a Jersey. I'm excited !

BA to sponsor ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ipUq-pQNg&mode=related&search=

Yeah, we're in negotiations for Team Cascade - Thylacine right now. So far we've got Evans and O'Grady interested, so now we just have to get on the Pro Tour.

I wish. :rolleyes:

Thylacine said:
Yeah, we're in negotiations for Team Cascade - Thylacine right now. So far we've got Evans and O'Grady interested, so now we just have to get on the Pro Tour.

I wish. :rolleyes:
Mate how do you get to do the cat headbang'n thing. Is it .bmp files added together ? Mind you, if I look at your's too long I feel like I just knocked back 6 long necks and a cuppla yaggabombs.

P.S. It's my my thread, I can highjack it all I like.