Australian TV media

Ricardo29

Jan 16, 2006
just sat down to dinner...long hard day at work, was in shock for the whole morning for obvious reasons...
first story, on commercial tv (not exactly cutting journalism or slaves to the truth, but what they say people believe):

"and we start tonight with cycling. Former olympic champion gary niewand is in jail tonight. (he never won the olympics) Niewand is in jail tonight for stalking a friend and breaking a restraining order on his former wife"
"And in more cycling news, TDF winner Floyd Landis has been caught doping and will likely relinquish his TDF win. Landis denies any wrongdoing, despite being caught".

aside from the moronic nature of our news service and the fact i have to live here and be dumbed down by it.....sure has been a tough day as a cycling fan.

everyone, and i mean everyone, even people who know me but i havent spoken to in ages, have rung/emailed me to let me know. like theyre almost blaming me for cycling's doping perception. enoughs enough surely.

From memory Gary claimed that pissing in a wineglass of his ex-wife and holding her by the neck was foreplay ! Its true ! Many inside the know, know that Gary was prone to the odd 'roid' rage and once off the gear he was never the same bloke..... but hey at least cycling is now front page news !

I guess Ray Martin will be doing a special show on drugs and cycling and dubbed as "your children and drugs - a TV show no parent can afford to miss"

Ricardo29 said:
just sat down to dinner...long hard day at work, was in shock for the whole morning for obvious reasons...
first story, on commercial tv (not exactly cutting journalism or slaves to the truth, but what they say people believe):

"and we start tonight with cycling. Former olympic champion gary niewand is in jail tonight. (he never won the olympics) Niewand is in jail tonight for stalking a friend and breaking a restraining order on his former wife"
"And in more cycling news, TDF winner Floyd Landis has been caught doping and will likely relinquish his TDF win. Landis denies any wrongdoing, despite being caught".

aside from the moronic nature of our news service and the fact i have to live here and be dumbed down by it.....sure has been a tough day as a cycling fan.

everyone, and i mean everyone, even people who know me but i havent spoken to in ages, have rung/emailed me to let me know. like theyre almost blaming me for cycling's doping perception. enoughs enough surely.

yeah i know of neiwand's 'problems' as such, coz i liked the guy and am a cycling fan, but most people wouldnt know him or wouldnt know of his 'incidents'. until of course, bang, lead story, followed promptly by granddaddy drug story of them all.

thats what sh.ts me about it all....oh you're a cyclist, fkn dopehead, theyre all on drugs rah rah rah....somewhat annoying!!

Ricardo29 said:
yeah i know of neiwand's 'problems' as such, coz i liked the guy and am a cycling fan, but most people wouldnt know him or wouldnt know of his 'incidents'. until of course, bang, lead story, followed promptly by granddaddy drug story of them all.

thats what sh.ts me about it all....oh you're a cyclist, fkn dopehead, theyre all on drugs rah rah rah....somewhat annoying!!
In addition any 16 year old showing any promise on the bike is going to warned away from the sport by there parents.... as well as a lot of good sportsmen wont want to get into cycling because they don't want to be confronted with drugs.... we'll probably lose them to triathlon or long distance running...

that is a shame...football, soccer, tennis...i could handle.
but long distance running and triathlon...please. that was for the nuffys who couldnt play sport at school.

Ricardo29 said:
that is a shame...football, soccer, tennis...i could handle.
but long distance running and triathlon...please. that was for the nuffys who couldnt play sport at school.
Odd thing to say by someone whom I presume is a fan of cycling. Cycling has more in common with the "nuffy" sports than with the others you list, the primary difference being that it adds a team element.