Australians will do well in Tour this year

alan b'stard M

Apr 15, 2006
I suspect some Australians will do well in the tour this year. More and more are becoming interested in the tour. I think there will be an official Australian team, although I am yet to have this confirmed. The sport does quite well in "Oz". A tour win will see it o through the roof!
smile.gif

alan b'stard M said:
I suspect some Australians will do well in the tour this year. More and more are becoming interested in the tour. I think there will be an official Australian team, although I am yet to have this confirmed. The sport does quite well in "Oz". A tour win will see it o through the roof!
smile.gif
An australian based protour team is a few years off at the earliest.

Your right about aussies doing well at the tour tho robbie mcewen, stu and cadel will be the stars from downunder ;)

cheers

steve said:
An australian based protour team is a few years off at the earliest.

Your right about aussies doing well at the tour tho robbie mcewen, stu and cadel will be the stars from downunder ;)

cheers
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info re the team. Someone on TV said something about a team in it this year but I've heard nothing since so I suspect you're right. A grant from the Oz Gov't to the institute of sport would be OK here!

I think the chaps you mentioned before will do better this time. I could be wrong here but I think it was Evans doing well towards the end on the race last year. Memory fails! Somewhere out there in Oz there are a couple of "Oppenheimers" waiting to pounce:D

I think that Cadel Evans is the man to watch this season.
This guy is a great talent - if he can avoid damaging his shoulder (how many times has this man broken his clavicle?) he will do serious damage.
We got a taste of that in the 2005 TDF where he went really well.

McEwan as ever will contest the sprints and he'll "get over" the climbs.

CSC will pick O'Grady for the TDF too.

should be a good representation again.

mcewen should win green if they dont disqualify him.
ogrady and roberts to work well for basso. ogrady might snag a stage late in the show, and likely to again consistently finish 5th in every sprint.
alby davis should start improving on 8th-4th places and be up in top 3 for sprint stages.
rogers should improve on last years efforts, wasnt a good tour. he'll be lugging jan up the mountains so may not have much time for himself, but would expect a good showing from him. class rider and class bloke so should be prominant.
real one to watch is cadel evans. outstanding debut last year, havent heard a thing about him yet this year, which is probably a good thing. 7broken collarbones i think LM..ouch! in a big open field this year, i think evans can top 5, which would be a sensational result. he really is in top 5 mountain men, so no reason at all why he cant figure.

Evans form is not so good at he moment... had a bad FW and AGR...... he needs to find form soon.... did a vey bad TT in TBC....... not sure if he is as good as last year.....

Ricardo29 said:

ogrady and roberts to work well for basso. ogrady might snag a stage late in the show, and likely to again consistently finish 5th in every sprint.
alby davis should start improving on 8th-4th places and be up in top 3 for sprint stages.
rogers should improve on last years efforts, wasnt a good tour. he'll be lugging jan up the mountains so may not have much time for himself, but would expect a good showing from him. class rider and class bloke so should be prominant.
real one to watch is cadel evans. outstanding debut last year, havent heard a thing about him yet this year, which is probably a good thing. 7broken collarbones i think LM..ouch! in a big open field this year, i think evans can top 5, which would be a sensational result. he really is in top 5 mountain men, so no reason at all why he cant figure.

Ricardo29 said:

I think Cadel will do well but his recent form is way off, but no worries.
As to the green jersey...McEwen?
He has Boonen to deal with and I think he's unstoppable.
Period.

alan b'stard M said:
Somewhere out there in Oz there are a couple of "Oppenheimers" waiting to pounce:D
hopefully theres more oppermans than oppenheimers, we need more bike riders and less h bomb developers.

now seriously, the only to challenge for the gc will be cadel. dodger thinks he can as mcgee use to but i dont think they have the climbing potential to be up there without some major luck.

our best chances will be stages with the ever reliable robbie. stu o'g will be fresh and, im hoping, finally take home something green from the tour.

dont discount the likes of simon g, baden and mr davis for the stage win if things go their way

when eddy ruled said:
hopefully theres more oppermans than oppenheimers, we need more bike riders and less h bomb developers.

now seriously, the only to challenge for the gc will be cadel. dodger thinks he can as mcgee use to but i dont think they have the climbing potential to be up there without some major luck.

our best chances will be stages with the ever reliable robbie. stu o'g will be fresh and, im hoping, finally take home something green from the tour.

dont discount the likes of simon g, baden and mr davis for the stage win if things go their way
How embarrassing! You're absolutely right. I meant Opperman! How the hell did I mix him up with the nuclear bloke ?
redface.gif

when eddy ruled said:
Only riders from these teams will be racing:

AG2R Prevoyance
Agritubel
Bouygues Telecom
Caisse d’Epargne - Illes Balears
Cofidis crédit par téléphone
Comunidad Valenciana
Credit Agricole
Team CSC
Davitamon – Lotto
Discovery Channel Team
Euskatel – Euskadi
FDJeux.com
Gerolsteiner
Lampre
Liberty Seguros Würth Team
Liquigas
Team Milram
Phonak Hearing Systems
Quickstep
Rabobank
Saunier Duval – Prodir
T-Mobile Team

http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/actualites.html

No cookie this year :(

cheers

alan b'stard M said:
I think there will be an official Australian team, although I am yet to have this confirmed. The sport does quite well in "Oz".
smile.gif
Ozzies are Ozzum ! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet actually.

Let me know when you guys start selling bottle cages that will fit a Foster's Oil Can.... I could use one, it's dangerous riding one handed.:D

lw

Well if there's still questions in cadels form, I think they've been answered, it wasn't a bad field in the tour of romandie. And yes he's gota be top 5-10 climbers in this years tour de france, and considering the time trial is what won him the tour of romandie, I think top five maybe even top 3 is quit a possability.

Scotttri said:
Well if there's still questions in cadels form, I think they've been answered, it wasn't a bad field in the tour of romandie. And yes he's gota be top 5-10 climbers in this years tour de france, and considering the time trial is what won him the tour of romandie, I think top five maybe even top 3 is quit a possability.
I don't think the two long time trials will suit him. The time trial in the Romandie tour was technical and hilly which suited him. In July they will be long and flat and he will lose time. I think he will climb with the best though.