Authentic Philly?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kraig Willett, May 10, 2003.

  1. In getting revved up for Philly week next month, the following Jack in the Box ad running in
    Southern California caught my eye (sound clip of the ad can be heard at:

    http://tinyurl.com/bgeq

    In it, Jack asks his clean-cut suit wearin' employee Kevin to go check out Philly. After "soakin' up
    Philly like a sponge", Kevin comes back sportin' a mullet, some gold chains, and a sweat suit.

    Appararently, the ad pissed off a few native Philadelphians:

    http://tinyurl.com/bgey

    Since we have some Philly locals here on rbr, I figured I would solicit their thoughts. So, do all
    you guys like mullets, sweat suits and do you really "soak up things like a sponge"?

    Who will win the jersey at CoreStates? From this far out, I'll have to go with Clinger.

    --
    ==================
    Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In getting revved up for Philly week next month, the following Jack
    in the
    > Box ad running in Southern California caught my eye (sound clip of
    the ad
    > can be heard at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/bgeq
    >
    > In it, Jack asks his clean-cut suit wearin' employee Kevin to go
    check out
    > Philly. After "soakin' up Philly like a sponge", Kevin comes back
    sportin'
    > a mullet, some gold chains, and a sweat suit.
    >
    > Appararently, the ad pissed off a few native Philadelphians:

    Hell yes, those were the moderates. You ought to see the radicals like that dorky little Palachick
    with the shaved head who like to call himself Ronde Champ.

  3. Kraig Willett <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Appararently, the ad pissed off a few native Philadelphians: http://tinyurl.com/bgey Since we have
    > some Philly locals here on rbr, I figured I would solicit their thoughts. So, do all you guys like
    > mullets, sweat suits and do you really "soak up things like a sponge"?

    Yah, pretty much. Nothing could be more Philadelphian than getting pissed off over a commercial
    about Philadelphia. I dunno about the sponge thing though. It's more like "soak up Philadelphia like
    a greasy napkin on the sidewalk outside Geno's Steaks at 3 in the morning." But that would point out
    that Philadelphia has Geno's Steaks while Jack in the E-Coli Box, has, well, Jack in the Box. (I
    grant that Socal has In-N-Out Burger which is of an entirely different quality.)

    When I lived in the Philly burbs in the late 80s the demographic most likely to shout "Faggot" out
    the window or buzz you off the road was mullet-sporters driving Blazers or Broncos. That may have
    been true everywhere in the late 80s though. I fondly remember passing a hair-metal music shop on
    the R3 train line (Secane? Lansdowne?) with a bigger display of spandex than guitars and a huge
    sign, "WE SELL ROCK CLOTHES." The spandex does make you wonder why the mullet crowd was shouting
    "Faggot" at cyclists...

    > Who will win the jersey at CoreStates? From this far out, I'll have to go with Clinger.

    Tony Cruz. Then USPS doesn't renew his contract.