Authentic Trek USPS?

Paconi

Jul 9, 2007
Hi guys
I'm looking semi seriously at a second-hand Trek USPS bike at an OK price. I'm told it's a late 2003 model and the last of the 5200-5500 carbon frames to come out of the US before the Madone. My issue is that all the the Trek decals and the USPS decal as well as the OLVC decals etc. on the forks, are applied AFTER the finish (ie, you could peel them all off and have a plain blue frame.)

I'm suspecting it's a scam. Are there any othe identifying features I could look for (like the old imprint on Colnagos)? Or could anyone confirm that Trek actually presented their bikes this way?

Thanks

Paconi

from my understanding, the decals are applied after the clearcoat. process. i'll check on my 5500 tonight and get back with you. as far as authentic features, there's none that i'm aware of unless it was actully used by USPS then it's small suttle things like number holders and slight differences in the decals.

bh3733 said:
from my understanding, the decals are applied after the clearcoat. process. i'll check on my 5500 tonight and get back with you. as far as authentic features, there's none that i'm aware of unless it was actully used by USPS then it's small suttle things like number holders and slight differences in the decals.
The decals are applied after the clearcoar has been applied. You can easily remove the decals with a blow dryer.

Thanks for this info. Very helpful.

FriendlyFred said:
The decals are applied after the clearcoar has been applied. You can easily remove the decals with a blow dryer.