Autogears

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cyber Watcher, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Folks

Whilst channel hopping on ntl cable TV, I saw an advert for a bike called something like Overlander
    or something like that. But what I found interesting was the description of the gear system. The
    bike had automatic gears, seven flat gears and seven hill gears, as well as a high low ratio
    setting. The advert indicated it was the only automatic gear bike on the market, is this true,
    because it is such a new development or are there any other bikes with automatic gears.

Yours Chris

Tags:

2. Tony Raven

Tony Raven Guest

Cyber Watcher <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > Whilst channel hopping on ntl cable TV, I saw an advert for a bike called something like
    > Overlander or something like that. But what I found interesting was the description of the gear
    > system. The bike had automatic gears, seven flat gears and seven hill gears, as well as a high low
    > ratio setting. The advert indicated it was the only automatic gear bike on the market, is this
    > true, because it is such a new development or are there any other bikes with automatic gears.
    >

An age old concept. There are others such as the notorious Autobike whose derailleur was operated by
    weights moving radially on the rear wheel. That also was advertised via cable TV. I think Sheldon
    Brown's summary was the most apt:

"A crudely built bike, with a rudimentary automatic transmission. This is marketed for people who
    think they are too stupid to be able to learn to operate a normal bicycle."
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html

The thing to think about is if its such a good bike, why are they selling it on cable TV and not
    through bike shops/Halfords etc?

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.