Autogears

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cyber Watcher, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Hi Folks

    Whilst channel hopping on ntl cable TV, I saw an advert for a bike called something like Overlander
    or something like that. But what I found interesting was the description of the gear system. The
    bike had automatic gears, seven flat gears and seven hill gears, as well as a high low ratio
    setting. The advert indicated it was the only automatic gear bike on the market, is this true,
    because it is such a new development or are there any other bikes with automatic gears.

    Yours Chris

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Cyber Watcher <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > Whilst channel hopping on ntl cable TV, I saw an advert for a bike called something like
    > Overlander or something like that. But what I found interesting was the description of the gear
    > system. The bike had automatic gears, seven flat gears and seven hill gears, as well as a high low
    > ratio setting. The advert indicated it was the only automatic gear bike on the market, is this
    > true, because it is such a new development or are there any other bikes with automatic gears.

    An age old concept. There are others such as the notorious Autobike whose derailleur was operated by
    weights moving radially on the rear wheel. That also was advertised via cable TV. I think Sheldon
    Brown's summary was the most apt:

    "A crudely built bike, with a rudimentary automatic transmission. This is marketed for people who
    think they are too stupid to be able to learn to operate a normal bicycle."
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html

    The thing to think about is if its such a good bike, why are they selling it on cable TV and not
    through bike shops/Halfords etc?

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.