Automatic doors and your speedometer!

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
There are several places on my regular ride that I go in front of automatic doors and
I have noticed it drives the speedometer nuts. It will show twenty to thirty mph when
I am only going maybe six or seven.

I checked it a couple times and sure enough, the doors are doing it.

It is a Bell twelve function.

Anyone else seen this??

BHOFM said:
There are several places on my regular ride that I go in front of automatic doors and
I have noticed it drives the speedometer nuts. It will show twenty to thirty mph when
I am only going maybe six or seven.

I checked it a couple times and sure enough, the doors are doing it.

It is a Bell twelve function.

Anyone else seen this??

Nope, never had any problems with a bike computer.

But, they will set off false alarms on the radar detector in my car.. :)

No trouble with doors, those are IME generally controlled by IR anyhow. Are there perhaps RFID anti-shoplifting equipment just inside those doors?

But my Polar CS300 does go crazy in the immediate vicinity of power lines though, and when I ride along an electrified railway both the HR and the cadence will respond to if a a train is approaching or leaving a station.

I once had an instance where riding near a ground-mounted electrical transformer my speed pegged at 199.9 MPH :eek: - this was right when I stopped for a hydration break, Sigma 506...

cyberlegend1994 said:
I once had an instance where riding near a ground-mounted electrical transformer my speed pegged at 199.9 MPH :eek: - this was right when I stopped for a hydration break, Sigma 506...
You sure you were not just taking a quick break:D

I've noticed that my speedometer reads considerably lower than the speed I'm doing at times. I think it might be power lines, but I'm not sure.

Wouldn't be happening if I still had my wired computer.

Aren't wireless bike computers/speedometers/etc. certified under Part 15 of the FCC rules? If so that is your answer.

Of course wired devices are more resistant to RFI.