Autoshift?

I've seen some video of the auto-shift type set-ups. It doesn't appeal to me at all. Sure it would be OK for someone who rides just for the enjoyment of riding or site-seeing. But for me, I need to control the gears to be able to adjust for the terrain and for how I want to attack the hills. Plus if your tired or have plenty of energy I don't think the auto shift can compensate for that. It's probably for "Sunday riders" but it would also be good for rental shops in a beach area like Virginia Beach.

A step in the right direction if it really works. I think there is need for a cable to the rear in order to adjust the cadence while riding, or to override the auto, but then how much use will the auto get? If the rider stops suddenly while coasting I can't see how it can change down, you will be stuck in high gear the same as with manual gear change. Agreed - it is probably good for leisurely rides in the park, but will be interesting to try out.

This bike is best suited as an anchor, and yet it still rears its ugly head once in a while. I especially dislike the way it's falsely touted as an autoshift bike.

From the Landrider website FAQ:
-------------------------------

what_is_automax.gif

The AutoMax High/Low Function is like a high/low option on a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV). It gives you 7 high and 7 low gears. There are two gear sprockets on the front crank where the pedals are and a high/low shifter on the left hand grip of the handlebar.

(In other words, it has a shifter for the front derailleur. So much for an "autoshift" bike.)

how_many_gears.gif

The general perception is that 21 gears are better than 10 or 15 - and now you can even find bikes with 24 or 28 speeds! The fact is that many of these gears are duplicates. A typical 21 speed bike has 7 gears in the back and 3 in the front to give you 21 in all. The problem is that when you change gears in the front you will usually be in the wrong gear in the back - it's why people are usually riding in the wrong gear. It's confusing. With AutoShift and AutoMax, you'll have 7 high and 7 low gears. A simple twist of the left hand will allow you to select High or Low and AutoShift does the rest! You'll always be in the right gear!

(Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 28 speed bike? If so, please describe the gearing for me - 28x1, 14x2, or 7x4? Nah, it must be 9.33x3!!!)

how_does_lr.gif

Many customers think it's faster because you aren't wasting time shifting. Since AutoShift is always in the correct gear, your pedaling cadence is maximized. In addition, when you stop or slow down, AutoShift automatically comes back to first gear. With a 21 speed, you'll have to manually shift down and you may not be in the proper gear when you start again or speed up.

(Who are these people that "think it's faster"? And once again, the deceptive wording does not include the fact that you must manually shift the front derailleur to return to first gear.)

why_is_lr_safer.gif

Since you are not constantly focusing on finding the proper gear, you'll be able to concentrate on the road and enjoy the experience. With hands-free shifting, you can keep both hands on the handlebar at all times and use the brakes faster. Also, LandRider's unique upright frame design keeps you looking straight ahead and not down at the ground.

(More deception - "hands-free shifting" does not exist with this bike.)

Scotty_Dog said:
This bike is best suited as an anchor, and yet it still rears its ugly head once in a while. I especially dislike the way it's falsely touted as an autoshift bike.

From the Landrider website FAQ:
-------------------------------

what_is_automax.gif

The AutoMax High/Low Function is like a high/low option on a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV). It gives you 7 high and 7 low gears. There are two gear sprockets on the front crank where the pedals are and a high/low shifter on the left hand grip of the handlebar.

(In other words, it has a shifter for the front derailleur. So much for an "autoshift" bike.)

how_many_gears.gif

The general perception is that 21 gears are better than 10 or 15 - and now you can even find bikes with 24 or 28 speeds! The fact is that many of these gears are duplicates. A typical 21 speed bike has 7 gears in the back and 3 in the front to give you 21 in all. The problem is that when you change gears in the front you will usually be in the wrong gear in the back - it's why people are usually riding in the wrong gear. It's confusing. With AutoShift and AutoMax, you'll have 7 high and 7 low gears. A simple twist of the left hand will allow you to select High or Low and AutoShift does the rest! You'll always be in the right gear!

(Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 28 speed bike? If so, please describe the gearing for me - 28x1, 14x2, or 7x4? Nah, it must be 9.33x3!!!)

how_does_lr.gif

Many customers think it's faster because you aren't wasting time shifting. Since AutoShift is always in the correct gear, your pedaling cadence is maximized. In addition, when you stop or slow down, AutoShift automatically comes back to first gear. With a 21 speed, you'll have to manually shift down and you may not be in the proper gear when you start again or speed up.

(Who are these people that "think it's faster"? And once again, the deceptive wording does not include the fact that you must manually shift the front derailleur to return to first gear.)

why_is_lr_safer.gif

Since you are not constantly focusing on finding the proper gear, you'll be able to concentrate on the road and enjoy the experience. With hands-free shifting, you can keep both hands on the handlebar at all times and use the brakes faster. Also, LandRider's unique upright frame design keeps you looking straight ahead and not down at the ground.

(More deception - "hands-free shifting" does not exist with this bike.)

Yeah, shifting is a really time consuming procedure......

There are threads for this thing every few months, and honestly, just buy a regular bike. Why do I still drive stick-shift - b/c I have more control over the vehicle and can be in the best gear for me. I don't trust some mechanism to tell me what gear I should be in. Some people are mashers, and thus want to be in higher gears; some people are spinners and want lower gears - this "one size fits all" mentality is a terrible approach b/c it treats everyone the same.

As for breakage, I wouldn't automatically assume a speed governor is necessarily such a delicate device. However.....

These things are likely aimed at folks who last rode a bike during the bike boom of the '70's, when shifting was a pain in the chamois.

Index shifting has removed the hassle of shifting. You push the shift lever until it stops, then you release it. Simple as pushing a button. One push-and-release on the upshift lever, one upshift. One push-and-release on the downshift lever, one downshift.

The ramped cogs mean you can shift even if you are under power. The autoshift bike probabaly uses them but so does almost every other bike nowadays.

Shifting a derailleur bike today is simple and easy, there's no skill to it. It's not a lot like a manual trans. There's much less skill involved. It's more like using your automatic car's gear selector to shift an automatic from low to 2, to 3, then to DRIVE. You pick the gear you want and the bike does the rest.

BTW those bikes are supposed to be a bit heavy.

WHat the?? Autogear shifting on bicycles? My eyes nearly popped out when i read that... whats next?? Triptronic Time Trial BIke?

willocrew said:
WHat the?? Autogear shifting on bicycles? My eyes nearly popped out when i read that... whats next?? Triptronic Time Trial BIke?
Don't you think indexed shifting is a lot like tiptronic? No clutch, no shift quadrant, just push the lever and it shifts.

As you can see, I've had a lot of rides in cars which said "911" on the fender!:rolleyes:

They don't need to be shot for trying, who knows Shimano may come up with something good. If they sell a lot of rubbish to the unsuspecting public...... bring out the cannons.

Autoshift will work in the mainstream if it gives a competitive advantage, ie you must have it to win races.

I imagine a single control on the bars that sets the desired cadence, while autoshift takes care of the rest. I am not holding my breath, remember the convoluted path that derailleurs followed to get to the level of performance we see today.

I like the autoshift idea, I've often thought of trying to have a go myself, just for the hell of it (isn't that why all sorts of weird and wonderful vehicles exist?).

I thought one way to go about it might be to have a centrifugal device on the wheel connected to the wee chain that selects gears on a sturmey archer style hub. This would mean that the selected gear was entirely dependent on wheel speed and nothing else. How else might you do it?

Dan

willocrew said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
As you can see, I've had a lot of rides in cars which said "911" on the fender!:rolleyes:

Hence then name GT...

Hence then name GT...
Police cars in the United States all say "911" on the fender. You can dial 911 on any phone in the US and be immediately connected to an emergency dispatcher.

ScottishDan said:
I like the autoshift idea, I've often thought of trying to have a go myself, just for the hell of it (isn't that why all sorts of weird and wonderful vehicles exist?).

I thought one way to go about it might be to have a centrifugal device on the wheel connected to the wee chain that selects gears on a sturmey archer style hub. This would mean that the selected gear was entirely dependent on wheel speed and nothing else. How else might you do it?

Dan
I would go with digital control. A control circuit could be constructed easily and cheaply. I don't know how much power a shifting solenoid would consume though.

I think the Landrider bike does have a centrifugal derailleur controller. I have seen the "infomercials" and there does appear to be a whirling weight attached to the rear derailleur.