Available diameters on integrated headsets?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dabac, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,292
    hi guys,

    The short question is:how many different diameters can I find integrated headsets in?

    The long story behind is as follows:when I built a bike around an unknown frame some years ago I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as an integrated headset, so when the stock 1 1/8 didn't fit in the head tube I cut a couple of spacers/bushings on the lathe and stuck it all together.
    Now, somewhat better informed, (and in need of a 1 1/8 for another bike) I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/8 with an integrated set, but I can't remember the i.d. of the head tube.
    Can I buy this one for instance, and expect it to fit? Or do I have to do an explanatory disassembly to find out the i.d. of the head tube before I buy an integrated headset?

    Tags:

  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    On Sep 9, 12:38 pm, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > hi guys,
    >
    > The short question is:how many different diameters can I find
    > integrated headsets in?
    >
    > The long story behind is as follows:when I built a bike around an
    > unknown frame some years ago I wasn't aware that there was such a thing
    > as an integrated headset, so when the stock 1 1/8 didn't fit in the head
    > tube I cut a couple of spacers/bushings on the lathe and stuck it all
    > together.
    > Now, somewhat better informed, (and in need of a 1 1/8 for another
    > bike) I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/8 with an integrated set, but I
    > can't remember the i.d. of the head tube.
    > Can I buy 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/22rnk4) for instance, and
    > expect it to fit? Or do I have to do an explanatory disassembly to find
    > out the i.d. of the head tube before I buy an integrated headset?
    >
    > --
    > dabac

    there are 2 main ones for 1 1/8 steerers (is/cane creek/"integrated"
    and hiddenset), then there's columbus, then there's internal headsets
    such as zerostack, then there are some oddballs. if you remember there
    being angled bearing seats inside the ht, then it's one of the first
    2.
    the various standards do have standard headtube od's attached to them,
    but of course it's not really required at all for a mfg to stick to
    this (although they do for the most part) and also, 45mm is used for
    hiddenset and 1 1/8 IS, so it could be either if it's 45. but
    zerostack 1 1/8 is 50. these numbers can mostly be found here,
    although columbus and some others are missing: www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter12.pdf

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dabac wrote:
    > hi guys,
    >
    > The short question is:how many different diameters can I find
    > integrated headsets in?
    >
    > The long story behind is as follows:when I built a bike around an
    > unknown frame some years ago I wasn't aware that there was such a thing
    > as an integrated headset, so when the stock 1 1/8 didn't fit in the head
    > tube I cut a couple of spacers/bushings on the lathe and stuck it all
    > together.
    > Now, somewhat better informed, (and in need of a 1 1/8 for another
    > bike) I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/8 with an integrated set, but I
    > can't remember the i.d. of the head tube.
    > Can I buy 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/22rnk4) for instance, and
    > expect it to fit? Or do I have to do an explanatory disassembly to find
    > out the i.d. of the head tube before I buy an integrated headset?

    Short answer= Too Many!
    If your local shop has the excellent FSA Stainless Headset Guide,
    consult them. It's a well designed tool and quick to use. The various
    formats and nomenclatures certainly are confusing!
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,292
    As far as I can remember the reamed seat in the seat tube had a fairly shallow lip and I don't recall it being angled.

    2 as in:
    1) cane creek/"integrated" and hiddenset

    2) columbus

    ...or 2 as in something else?

    Looking more and more likely :mad:
    It is, well 44,5 incl powder coat according to my caliper.

    First the page kept loading as a blank, but it finally came through. Good stuff.

  5. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,292
    Ah well, exploratory disassembly it is then.

  6. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    On Sep 10, 2:49 am, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Nate Knutson Wrote:> .. if you remember there being angled bearing seats inside the ht, ...
    >
    > As far as I can remember the reamed seat in the seat tube had a fairly
    > shallow lip and I don't recall it being angled.
    >
    > Nate Knutson Wrote:
    >
    > > ..there are 2 main ones[/] .

    > 2 as in:
    > 1) cane creek/"integrated" and hiddenset
    >
    > 2) columbus
    >
    > ..or 2 as in something else?

    I meant that cane creek and hiddenset are the 2 main ones. Columbus is
    uncommon, and is actually not really an integrated system, I kinda
    just stuck it in there. I also forgot about the TH industries 36x36
    integrated standard. =P

    > Nate Knutson Wrote:
    >
    > > ..... then there are some oddballs.

    > Looking more and more likely :mad:
    > Nate Knutson Wrote:
    >
    > > ...the various standards do have standard headtube od's attached to
    > > them, .. 45mm is used for
    > > hiddenset and 1 1/8 IS, so it could be either if it's 45.

    > It is, well 44,5 incl powder coat according to my caliper.
    >
    > Nate Knutson Wrote:
    >
    > > ..these numbers can mostly be found here,
    > > although columbus and some others are missing:
    > >www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/Chapter12.pdf

    > First the page kept loading as a blank, but it finally came through.
    > Good stuff.

    this is good too: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68

  7. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,292
    Bit the bullet yesterday and removed the headset. The caliper says 37.3 mm head tube i.d. Closest match in the Sutherland's handbook seems to be the 37.5 1" JIS / Pro threadless low-profile.

    Could be right, the origins of this frame is shrouded in mystery.

    Dang.

    OK, so I've got a 37.5 i.d. head tube and a 1 1/8" fork - can I find a HS that would either let me get rid of the bushings and/or let me reduce the stack height?