Avanti or Corratec as new first road bike

murtc

May 14, 2013
Hi

Another new thread on buying a bike.... Im new to the forum and I was looking for advice in trying to decide on whether to purchase an Avanti Giro 3 or a Corratec Dolomiti Ultegra as my first road bike? The Corratec is on sale and a couple of hundred € dearer than the Avanti. It jsut sounds too good to be true to be getting the Ultrgra at this price.
Any advice would be appreciated.

i would say go for it, every now and then you come across good deals, so if the bike is new and built with what the specifications on the web page are, then it is a good deal,

yes for some reason you get an 800 euro discount on the corratec, sometimes retailers do that to clear inventory and start with everything new again, still it is a credible offer, when you come across a ridicoulous offer then you should suspect if it is not a scam, it wouldn't hurt to call them by phone anyway just to double check that it is an established store, they have it in M and in L, how tall are you ?

I believe the distibutor is no longer taking them into Ireland, so I not so sure of good customer service if I do purchase one

for a new bike, customer service should be all about the possibility of returning th bike if it arrives in bad condition or if it is not equipped as advertised, after that your favourite bike shop should be able, and happy, to take care of your new bike maintenance and possible upgrades, etc p.s. don't forget shipping cost, for a complete bike it wouldn't be cheap

Originally Posted by murtc .

... trying to decide on whether to purchase an Avanti Giro 3 or a Corratec Dolomiti Ultegra as my first road bike? The Corratec is on sale and a couple of hundred € dearer than the Avanti. It jsut sounds too good to be true to be getting the Ultrgra at this price.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by vspa .

yes for some reason you get an 800 euro discount on the corratec, sometimes retailers do that to clear inventory and start with everything new again, still it is a credible offer, when you come across a ridicoulous offer then you should suspect if it is not a scam, it wouldn't hurt to call them by phone anyway just to double check that it is an established store, they have it in M and in L, how tall are you ?
FWIW. I would presume that there is a fairly deep discount on the CORRATEC DOLOMITI because the 10-speed Ultegra components are, for the hip crowd, theoretically obsolete ...

If not today, then certainly in less than 4 months when the 11-speed Ultegra group will be commonly available with its updated rear hub + distinctive-from-a-distance 4-arm crankset ...

• IMO, there is a real disadvantage for the average rider in being first-on-the-block (or, even second) to adopt a new "standard" such as the asymmetrical 4-arm Road crankset ...

'I' would certainly prefer 10-speed Ultegra components over the lesser Shimano components ...

• my only (?) concern would be the description indicating a MTB handlebar

Regardless, the AVANTI appears to be coming out of New Zealand (I've got to believe that it will cost an additional €150+ to ship the bike to Ireland!) & the CORRATEC will be shipped for FREE ...

Why pay more?

murtc said:
Hi Another new thread on buying a bike.... Im new to the forum and I was looking for advice in trying to decide on whether to purchase an Avanti Giro 3 or a Corratec Dolomiti Ultegra as my first road bike? The Corratec is on sale and a couple of hundred € dearer than the Avanti. It jsut sounds too good to be true to be getting the Ultrgra at this price. Any advice would be appreciated.
Have you test ridden either bike? Have you test ridden any bikes at local bike shops? Are you confident in what bike dimensions you need? If the answer is no, I'd suggest at least test riding some bikes locally if for no other reason than to get a feel for what size feels right. Note that I'm talking about the stated size for a bike: how that's measured varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Instead I'm talking about bike geometric dimensions. Also you should note that you can quite often score excellent deals at local bike shops on NOS--new old stock, i.e. left over bikes from the year or years before.

Hi Alfeng
I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as yourself on bikes, Im a novice really, so I wouldnt know too much regarding Ultegra or Shimano components. Just to mention, the Avanti is actually available in a local shop and I have test ridden it and it feels fine, less aggressive than say a Wilier Montegrappa that I had been on also. I havent been on the Corratec as yet, planning on doing it this weekend, but so far, teh shop selling the Avanti has been very helpful.

Well, after riding the Corratec, I'd suggest you base your decision on which fits best, rides best, handle best, and most appeals to you.