Avanti Road Bikes

pauly999

Jun 18, 2004
I've just picked up an Avanti Giro 2004 road bike, and after a couple of months I reckon I'm on to a good thing. Was wondering if there's any one else out there with one and would like to know their thoughts, or any other Avanti roadie. As yet I haven't been able to find a review. The only bad things I have noticed are a bit of annoying clicky noises coming from the bottom bracket, my ass is still getting used to the hard seat, and maybe I could have done with a 27T cog at the back (thats just me though). Other than that, its smooth, lively and feels great to ride, and the 105 components seem to live up to expectations - shifting & braking feels very precise.

pauly999 said:
I've just picked up an Avanti Giro 2004 road bike, and after a couple of months I reckon I'm on to a good thing. Was wondering if there's any one else out there with one and would like to know their thoughts, or any other Avanti roadie. As yet I haven't been able to find a review. The only bad things I have noticed are a bit of annoying clicky noises coming from the bottom bracket, my ass is still getting used to the hard seat, and maybe I could have done with a 27T cog at the back (thats just me though). Other than that, its smooth, lively and feels great to ride, and the 105 components seem to live up to expectations - shifting & braking feels very precise.
Nice work. Reviews can be good but always take them with a grain of salt (if you can find one for your bike!) Remember they're written by bike nazis who are used to $12,000 carbon campag setups and also rate themselves beyond measure...

I've been on a Giant TCR2 with 105 for just on 3 years. My best advice would be: learn to clean your bike properly and then actually get off your **** and do it regularly (the harder part)! A snap-on chain cleaner is the only real piece of equipment you need besides the cleaning stuff and rags and buckets, etc.

Cheers,

Stanners

On the 27t, Shimano show several casettes in my catalogue, check with your local bike shop...

I'm waiting for the Ultegra 10 speed and a 12-27... :cool:

I agree about the lack off reviews for Avanti bikes, I have been looking for reviews for their Mtb's without much luck. I have a Monza for training and communting and have had little trouble with it. Regular maintenance helps.
How ever I am very disappointed with the quality of the paint job which has suffered a lot of chips and flaking compared with my MTB ( Specialized)which is about the same age and has had a lot harder life.

It's also very hard (impossible) to find reviews of their flat-bar road bikes. Why doesn't anyone want to review Avanti? :)
My wife has bought the Avanti Blade Comp. The road gearing proved too high for her with baby seat, baby and full front paniers so I'm changing the Tiagra BB and triple crankset to Deore LX. Should be a nice touring-type bike.
Can't fault the bike, although she hasn't put many miles on it yet.

your Avanti Giro 2004 looks much nicer than the 2003 model which i have. isn't it the blue Corsa 2003 frame with a new name ('Giro')? Anyhow it's a nice bike, but a little heavy. Actually very heavy according to a friend who's been racing and runs a bike shop for a while. But I've spent my money on this first road bike and have been training on it for triathlon/cycling.

As of today I have changed my mine opinion on having a triple chainring. I'm usually a beach road rider, and met hills today going from Kew Blvd to around Eltham. Gosh, i am unfit/weak!!!! :eek: i was very grateful for the little chainring :eek:

many people like the look of the Giro 2003-- it does look fast. Black/silver and sleek. the upside to the 2003 model were the wheels. Shimano WH-R540 i think (16 spokes front and rear). For a Giro (RRP $1999) i think the wheels are a good deal, because a friend bought a nice Giant TCR Composite 2 ($4399?) that comes with the same Shimano wheels.

so im hoping the heavy Giro frame is offset with light (im guessing?) wheels. It's a shame Avanti didn't keep these wheels on the 2004 model. The upgrade from the 2003 are the cranks. your 2004 is full 105. my 2003 Giro cranks are Tiagra, but they're ok. im not a pro and i can't afford fancy stuff anyway.

shifting from 2nd to 3rd chainrings is a little annoying. you need to push the shifter across hard, and hold it until it engages. but i paid $1800 for mine and it still does the job. i hardly ride on the 1st or 3rd chainrings anyway.

You'll thank the little chainring when you hit some hills and for what you paid, you've got a pretty good machine. happy riding!