Avanti Road Bikes..

fatboy61 said:
Hey gillie, I have 2 rules re jersies etc and that is: "Whatever is on the discount/50% off rack is fair game!!" Rule 2 is "The fashion police can go eff'emselves".
A mate of mine (an accomplished a/b grade roadie) once scored an old "Chazal" shirt from an op-shop for $6. In case you haven't seen one of these abominations it is in cyan blue and baby pink and has a cartoon teddy-bear on the front of it. This guy is 6'3" and built like a brick shithouse. Funny, no-one ever *****ed at him about it... :p
I might me shot for saying this but I don't even own a proper cycling top (let alone cycling shorts) I just wear what ever t-shirt that isn't in the wash and my black nike shorts. I will probablt get a proper top but I just can't make myself wear those tight shorts. (not yet anyway) :)

davie_gillie said:
The wheels on the giro are pretty poor, I was told upgrading them would cost around $800 for another set, hopefully the guy at the store was wrong, nearly half the price of the bike. Not sure on the model, but still, its a fair hike for some wheels....

shame about the wheels. In terms of speed and ease of riding, wheels are pretty important in helping you go faster/tire less quickly. The weight of the wheels, and then aerodynamics of the wheels/spokes, are important, because you'll be turning over the wheels constantly. If you havent already bought the Giro, then i guess you've got 2 options-- get the bike, and look for 2nd hand wheels (i personally love my Mavic Ksyriums), or don't buy a new entry-level bike, but go for a 2nd-hand carbon bike which doesn't seem like it has done much (this may be tricky if you're not sure what signs of wear to look for-- i bought my 2nd hand Giant rather naively. I had no idea about crank length and as a result got looooong cranks on a small bike).

checking the 'true-ness' of a 2nd hand wheels might require a knowledgeable bike buddy. I think this is just checking if they spin in a straight line (no wobble). Sorry im not too clued in here

you can give www.cycle2max.com a go for a 2nd-hand trading post.

anyway, given that you started this thread a while ago, and you probably are having a great time on a new bike already, don't worry about your first bike-- it's hard to get everything right when you can't learn everything.

davie_gillie said:
One more thing, is there much in the jersey's you wear? Do they count for much on the road, because I have heard some pretty serious '*****ing' about what other riders are wearing. I would just go for a quirky one myself...
Gillie :)

my 2cents on jerseys:

With all the money you spend on bikes, you still have to look respectable out there. If looking good means a lot to you, and you want whatever is more expensive locally, go shopping online for jerseys (www.probikekit.com).

Here are no-no's:

- jersey/knicks in a denim-pattern print (i once saw a man wear knicks like this. So wrong)
- leopard spots (there was a leopard print jersey in the local op shop. $6, i was tempted, but it looked that bad)
- Prize jerseys: Tour de France/Giro d'Italia/Vuelta Espana/Jacobs Creek etc. yellow, green, pink, white or polka dot jerseys. These are won by champions, you can't just buy into being King of the Mountain! But if you do wear one, you gotta make sure you can sprint like an animal or climb like a mountain goat.
- World champ rainbow stripes: as above. World champs earn their stripes! I don't see how there's pride in buying one and wearing it. Unless you got it on sale, and use it as a cheapo ride-to-work jersey (hard to imagine).

Here's what i think is controversial:

- National champ stripes/jerseys: again national champs earn their colours. But personally i'd love an Australian team jersey to wear in support of our team! Or the aqua Kazhakstan one that Vino wears

Here's what i think is ok, and can look good if you pick something nice:

- pro team jerseys: a lot of people get the blue Gerolsteiner kit because it looks great. But this can also br determined by what's on sale on probikekit.com!
- your work/company jersey
- bike shop jerseys (if there's one who gives you good deals)
- join a local cycling club and buy the club jersey (not very useful unless you're keen to race)

Or most simply, just buy two plain jerseys to start off with (Castelli, Netti), as long as they have at least 2 pockets at the back. Assoss make good quality knicks but are $$$!! Ditto Pearl Izumi. eBay might be an option too

davie_gillie said:
I am new to cycling, and have been looking for reviews regarding Avanti Road Bikes. I cannot find any for the lower price ranges. I was interested in beginning road cycling but was wondering how the Avanti's compare. I was looking to spend around $1700 (already +$300 than intended) and the 06 Avanti Giro, caught my eye. For this sort of price range, does anyone know of a better value bike out there. I heard that the paint job on Avantis is really poor, is this true?

Thanks
Hi - I just bought an Avanti Vivace which is a lower level bike than the Giro, but I find it to be a really good entry level bike. It feels light as a feather to me and already has me hooked on more road riding.

$800 for some new wheels? tell'm he's dreaming
Open pro's laced to ultegra hubs for about $450 - $500 tops, bullet proof long lasting ... negotiate a trade in price ($200 for the R500)

Hi - I am in exactly the same position as you. i was thinking about the Avanti Giro or the Azzurri Uno. Let me know if you find anything out. The Azzurri Uno s about $100 cheaper and a friend of mine who know a bit about cycling thinks the Azzurri is better.

S

davie_gillie said:
I am new to cycling, and have been looking for reviews regarding Avanti Road Bikes. I cannot find any for the lower price ranges. I was interested in beginning road cycling but was wondering how the Avanti's compare. I was looking to spend around $1700 (already +$300 than intended) and the 06 Avanti Giro, caught my eye. For this sort of price range, does anyone know of a better value bike out there. I heard that the paint job on Avantis is really poor, is this true?

Thanks

su22 said:
...get the bike, and look for 2nd hand wheels..... (this may be tricky if you're not sure what signs of wear to look for)..... checking the 'true-ness' of a 2nd hand wheels might require a knowledgeable bike buddy. I think this is just checking if they spin in a straight line (no wobble). Sorry im not too clued in here
I'm a novice but if I could add my thoughts on 2nd hand cycling stuff at this point. a. Do your homework and be up to speed on on models and price and b. buy from a fat guy in a hilly area, you'll be pretty sure that the goods haven't seen too much action.

Its been a while since i started this thread, but for everyone who helped, thanks alot... To really go the other way, i bought a second hand Trek 1000 off a friend, it is getting a service at the moment. I get it back on wednesday.. i decided to go the ultra cheap option, and test it out, and see how i take to it, then in a little while, upgrade depending on my likings and hopefully move a bit higher than the giro... cheers...

davie_gillie said:
Its been a while since i started this thread, but for everyone who helped, thanks alot... To really go the other way, i bought a second hand Trek 1000 off a friend, it is getting a service at the moment. I get it back on wednesday.. i decided to go the ultra cheap option, and test it out, and see how i take to it, then in a little while, upgrade depending on my likings and hopefully move a bit higher than the giro... cheers...
Good move.
I was thinking about getting back into cycling for the last 5 years, but couldn't bring myself to forking out my hard earned on something that I wasn't sure I would get into. Then I inherited a GVBR bike a couple of Octobers ago. I was like a duck to water. 6 months, and 1000km later, I left around $1800 in a bike shop for bike, shoes, accessories. But I knew that it would be money well spent as I was well and truely hooked.

peterlip said:
Good move.
I was thinking about getting back into cycling for the last 5 years, but couldn't bring myself to forking out my hard earned on something that I wasn't sure I would get into. Then I inherited a GVBR bike a couple of Octobers ago. I was like a duck to water. 6 months, and 1000km later, I left around $1800 in a bike shop for bike, shoes, accessories. But I knew that it would be money well spent as I was well and truely hooked.
Out of curiosity, what bike did you upgrade too? Thinking about going all out with the accessories now, just so they are there!!

davie_gillie said:
Out of curiosity, what bike did you upgrade too? Thinking about going all out with the accessories now, just so they are there!!
I got a Felt F70. Best 105 equipped-triple crank-carbon forks & rear stay bike I could get at the time.
Managed to get it under $1600, but add shoes, pump, bag, tyre levers, seat bag, a few tubes and a rear light took me to $1799. Then I added a HRM/speedo (echowell XR) for another $176 and a cateye (EL500) $59 front light.

davie_gillie said:
A few years back I finally upgraded, went through the same process as you and ended up with 2nd hand Trek 1000 - well the frame was 2nd hand. LBS put together a nice package, all 105 and it's been a terrific ride. Good luck with yours David... let us know how it comes up.

Well, I got the trek about a week ago after being repaired, but couldnt afford pedals or a decent helmet, so I thought I would have to leave riding it for a bit...

One of my friends, gave me a set of SPD pedals off his mountain bike, which I put on and have been using with a pair of running shoes for now... I borrowed a helmet off a friend, and unfortunately due to my incredibly large head size, it hardly sits on my head... I look like a bit of an idiot, but in the past week I have really taken to cycling... Probably only done about 150kms, but am hurting a fair bit because of it... Couple of upgrades on the bike coming up, such as a much shorter stem (130mm down to 90mm) and hopefully the ride will be alot easier..

The knicks and jersey tan is very popular with the ladies... :eek:

Have experienced many of those 'polite' drivers out there already, with a couple of careless drivers nearly running me off the road... but other than that, loving it so far... Most of the riders I pass wave or nod, its nice, considering they are probably laughing on the inside...

Thanks for the help, will probably need some more soon...

su22 said:
- Carbon seatstays. (Mine is Alu)

..snip

- the Selle Italia FK saddle (this is a complete guess here, but I've heard that Selle Italia saddles suit most men

..snip

The only parts im not sure of are the pedals and wheels. I use Look pedals, but i've heard the shimano Dura Ace pedals are much more user-friendly-- easier to click into, and more forgiving on cafe floors. If the Giro's PD-R540 pedals use the same system, that's a thumbs up (I think anything would be an improvement on the Shimano SPDR pedals that I got on my 03 Giro-- they weighed a ton, the metal cleats snapped only after a year of riding).

As for the wheels, they look ok. Not sure how much they weigh, but they have more spokes than my WH-540 wheels (i may be wrong on that model name)

Carbon stays (seat and chain) are a marketing gimmick in low end bikes. They are typically significantly heavier than full aluminium stays. The benefit of course is they can offer a degree of comfort. You pay for this however by them being 'squishy' under acceleration or load. I'd personally be looking to probably stay away from a partial or full carbon rear in an entry level bike regardless of how sexy CF might look.

Selle Italia saddles in general will fit most people because they make about 30 different saddle models/combinations. A flite for example doesnt fit everyone (me) its a rounded top, an SLR on the other hand is a wider flatter surface that suits some people (me) better. Then theres a multitude of models in between. Ultimately you will find a type that generally fits you. Given you can pick up most saddles for less than $100 and they are such a huge factor in ongoing comfort it's recommended that as you start doing more k's you invest the time doing some experimentation.

All the SPD pedals are the same style from entry level up. Given the road bike riding I do is more continuous with little clipping and unclipping I personally evaluate pedals based on their comfort and adjustability (float and tension). I think the Looks do this better in general than Shimano cleat systems even though clipping might be marginally more difficult. Of course if you really want an easy to clip pedals you are not going to go past the Crank Brothers Quattros.

Finally in regards to wheels it can be a mistake to evaluate the number of spokes to the weight. If you look at roadbikereview.com WH-540's are almost universally noted as being very heavy wheels. Not that thats a problem in an entry level bike just something to be aware of.

Reading back over this I didn't really mean to critique every point in your post .. honest!! You've raised a lot of very valid points that someone should be looking at/considering/thinking about when considering a new bike.

--brett

davie_gillie said:
One of my friends, gave me a set of SPD pedals off his mountain bike, which I put on and have been using with a pair of running shoes for now...

The knicks and jersey tan is very popular with the ladies... :eek:

Yikes!! SPDs and running shoes, my feet are hurting just thinking about that.
The nearest I come to that is riding 1 km to the shop during my lunch break with runners and Look pedals, and is bad enough.
IMHO you would be better off with plain ole toe-clips until you can score some shoes.
And you must introduce me to the ladies who think the biker geek tan is a good look. :D

davie_gillie said:

Thanks
I have the 06 Giro and love it - great bike can't go wrong with it!