Avanti vs Giant Hybrids? please help

gtitman78

Feb 9, 2008
Hi,

I am only new to the site and am looking at buying a new bike.
to start with I am 6 foot 6 and a 100kg so riding position would be important for my back.
I have recently been shopping around at a heap of lbs and some research of prices online.
I started looking at the Avanti blades 2 and 3 as well as the Giant crx3 and 4
however after taking a blade 2 and a avanti pioneer for a test ride I found the seating position of the Hybrid better to start off on. plus the added benefit of shocks will help on the paths and gravel areas I intend on riding.

What i wanted help with is that I have read a lot of threads where people say negative things about the avanti bikes in general and recommend Giant instead, however the lbs are vice versa. ( obviously because they don't stock Giant). has anyone got a pioneer or similar that they could provide feedback on?
RRP on the Pioneer is $699 ( and lbs don't seem to negotiate prices from what I have found) so I would like to know more before I buy it

Any help or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help

Welcome to the forums.
I was looking at commuter bikes about 18 months ago, and looked at a few of the hybrids. What I found though, was that mountain bikes seemed to be better value for money when it came to comparing components.
In the end I got a mountain bike, however they changed the tyres to something a bit slicker, and for an extra $100 (I think, it was a while ago), they changed the front chain rings, cranks and pedals. Mainly so I have taller chain rings which is more appropriate for the mostly road and path riding I do. Tyre change over was free.
It probably weighs a few kg more than a hybrid, but given its for commuting, and building my fitness for the road bike on weekends, that's OK.
The best thing about this bike when commuting, are the disc brakes. They are fantastic, and the difference in the wet between this and my road bike is unbelievable.
Anyway, I don't think I've actually helped you in your original question, and have probably made it worse because you may have more options now.
Good luck.

The Pioneer will be slow by comparison with the CRX, buy a CRX3, there are no 4s at persent. ;)

peterlip said:
Welcome to the forums.
I was looking at commuter bikes about 18 months ago, and looked at a few of the hybrids. What I found though, was that mountain bikes seemed to be better value for money when it came to comparing components.
In the end I got a mountain bike, however they changed the tyres to something a bit slicker, and for an extra $100 (I think, it was a while ago), they changed the front chain rings, cranks and pedals. Mainly so I have taller chain rings which is more appropriate for the mostly road and path riding I do. Tyre change over was free.
It probably weighs a few kg more than a hybrid, but given its for commuting, and building my fitness for the road bike on weekends, that's OK.
The best thing about this bike when commuting, are the disc brakes. They are fantastic, and the difference in the wet between this and my road bike is unbelievable.
Anyway, I don't think I've actually helped you in your original question, and have probably made it worse because you may have more options now.
Good luck.
Yeah,

it is a hard decision when just starting out, there are far too many options for a newb.
My brother ( who like many people on this site rides for several hours each day and has multiple bikes well outside of my price range) actually suggested the same thing. When I asked a lbs about swapping over the tyres they all just kept on suggesting the hybrids instead. - not good for an easily confused newby-
did you take any hybrids for a test ride before mkaing decison? or did you base the choice on comparison of groupsets etc alone?

thanks for your help.

gclark8 said:
The Pioneer will be slow by comparison with the CRX, buy a CRX3, there are no 4s at persent. ;)
George,

I have read quite a few posts where you recmmend the crx, do you have one or are you a giant dealer?

When you say slow, how much difference would there be?
The Hybrids would be more comfortable though wouldn't they?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I am very much a newb. and am just trying to figure out all of the differences between bikes.

I took a Blade 2 for a ride, that would be similar to the crx I assume?

thanks

FWIW,

Both Avanti & Giant sell quality packages, starting from budget price upward.

Try both and go with what fits you best and feel most comfortable on.

If you are just sticking to cycleways and quiet roads, don't let "bells & whistles" influence your decision. (K.I.S.S.) Front suspension adds extra weight & cost. It will eventually need maintenance. What will it give you in return? I suspect nothing.

Go for a lbs who is helpful and not full on pressure. If they don't have time for you now or they pressure you, how can you trust them with your beloved steed later on. Ensure they give at least one free service (if not 12 months) with the bike. Get them to throw in a drink bottle free. Ask what discount they will also give on accessories.

Get out and have fun. If you do, I suspect you will be buying again in a year or two time with a much better understanding and specific need. If your lbs is smart he will again get your business.

gtitman78 said:
I am only new to the site and am looking at buying a new bike. to start with I am 6 foot 6 and a 100kg so riding position would be important for my back.
I think you've identified the most important aspect of your purchasing decision already - fit and comfort.

Avanti and Giant are both good brands.

Your LBS should be encouraging you to test ride everything that fits your size, gear, appearance and budget criteria. How schmick the gear needs to be depends on what you're going to do with the bike. And you can always upgrade later if it turns out that you need to.

Scott2468 said:
FWIW,

Both Avanti & Giant sell quality packages, starting from budget price upward.

Try both and go with what fits you best and feel most comfortable on.

If you are just sticking to cycleways and quiet roads, don't let "bells & whistles" influence your decision. (K.I.S.S.) Front suspension adds extra weight & cost. It will eventually need maintenance. What will it give you in return? I suspect nothing.

Go for a lbs who is helpful and not full on pressure. If they don't have time for you now or they pressure you, how can you trust them with your beloved steed later on. Ensure they give at least one free service (if not 12 months) with the bike. Get them to throw in a drink bottle free. Ask what discount they will also give on accessories.

Get out and have fun. If you do, I suspect you will be buying again in a year or two time with a much better understanding and specific need. If your lbs is smart he will again get your business.
Yeah I found a lbs that was actually pretty helpful ( Strathpine cycles) and gave me a really good price on the bike [ Avanti Pioneer - pick it up Thursday]and 15% off on the accessories.
a lot better to some, one "big name" bike shop I rang even had their price lsited for the pioneer at $30 more than the RRP that the cataloug uses. ( explain that) and they would only come down $40 from the proper RRP.
Don't think I will ever shop there! - just lucky I did my research on prices first.

The Felt QX70 or 80 would be worth a look. Similar pricing to the CRX/Blade and is a basically a flatbar roadbike - but with front suspension and some ridiculously wide maxxis overdrive tyres.

Largest size is 56 cm though, but I guess sizing would be an issue with the others as well?

It is always tough working out which bike you want when you are comparing bikes in different categories let alone different brands

Pioneer is a very nice bike, with its hydroformed tubes. Congrats on the purchase.

Everyone has their own preference of brand. If you look at them closely, there isn't much between them because the competition is really tight. Sometimes you just get a good deal because it is superseeded model or there is an overstock of that model.

It seems that year after year, there is a shortage of CRXs or infact most flatbar bikes in Sydney. Especially bad this year since I am trying to find one for a friend. I noticed that Azzurri is back in the market after Learsport dissapeared. They had a well specced flat bar roadie for $499, i think called Roma.

gtitman78 said:
Yeah,

it is a hard decision when just starting out, there are far too many options for a newb.
My brother ( who like many people on this site rides for several hours each day and has multiple bikes well outside of my price range) actually suggested the same thing. When I asked a lbs about swapping over the tyres they all just kept on suggesting the hybrids instead. - not good for an easily confused newby-
did you take any hybrids for a test ride before mkaing decison? or did you base the choice on comparison of groupsets etc alone?

thanks for your help.
Haven't checked this forum for a while....
I must admit, I didn't test ride a hybrid. I based my hybrid vs MTB decision on features. I rode 3 (maybe 4) different MTBs, and there wasn't much in them. Maybe because my other bike was a road bike, so not really used to the comfortable ride, so they all felt great. Given they felt very similar, I ended up getting the best valued one.

Anyway, it's been a few months since this thread started, Gtitman78 have you decided what to do yet???