Average Climbing speed?

There's one hill here that is very steep. It's 10 km from the bottom of the hill near the golf course to the top where the ski area parking lot is, and it's a 2500 ft climb (800 m+). It is unpaved and rough road, maintained by the military for 4 wheel drive vehicles. There is at least one bike race up this hill every year. I think the record is something like 36 minutes. That would be just a hair more than 10 mph, and that's for the all time record. If it were pavement, I suspect the record would be a lot faster because you will find, if you go fast, that if you are not careful, your back wheel will spin occasionally as you torque the cranks and propel yourself onward and upward. I think this is in the same category as the Tour climbs, but the condition of the road is rougher. I suppose if it became paved one day, it would then be too hazardous because of the additional traffic.

Originally posted by shawnbbrad
Um...actually, pace-line, that doesn't work.

I used to think so too, and while I always challenged myself by riding as hard as I could, I also always reached a fitness plateau I could not move beyond.

It was only by riding much slower and longer than I "could", and telling my ego to stuff it, that I was able to increase strength, form, and speed.

This is relevant to TeamSpine's question because I found that by doing so, my hillclimb speed on my test hill went up about 2 mph just within the last month, consistently. Which was totally unexpected. And I just want folks to not make the mistake I did, of "riding as fast as you can, all the time." That was, in fact, a loser's motto. Me being loser number one. Not that that's really changed so much, but y'know...

Pedantic platitudes sound inspiring and everything, pace-line, but I found out that real knowledge means a lot more. Keep living large, though, my man.

Though I feel no need to prove anything, asside from race results, with whom I compete (among those who deserve to compare themselves with those who they compete against). In addition to the fact that this thread is viewed by many differing types of riders, I acknowledge that you are correct and incorrect at the same time. What I mean to share is that, if I may step back for a moment, I was incorrect to write as though my post were being read by those on other than an aggressive yet specifically balanced trianing program which includes "rest day spinning", as well as lactic acid threshhold , climbing, jump speed and acceleration training, etc..

For that I offer humble appology. You are correct and I agree, that without rest day riding/recovery training, the growth needed to be"aggressive" will be lacking, always, and frustratingly so. Although, I have no ego attached to racing, performance or bragging, if that is ones thing, but only to share a passion, with limited time frame to do so. My first mistake. I should only write when i have the occassion to do so, well.

The winners motto, to which I referred, among those whom train similarly to me and it sounds as though you also may do, means exactly what it is intended to mean.

It means, in base form, everything an aggressive competitor does, including endurance and rest spins, are done to the max. Meaning that when one rests, on a bike, as part of an aggressive training/racing schedule, it must always be in balance, and done to the specified limit (for less experienced, rest has limit as does heart rate training, no more, no less, but always by the book), no shortcutting endurance days, or slow cadence days. As a side note, to those who might be relatively new and reading, the value of any workout can be seen in it's results. I wish you well in any upcoming rides, and hope your knowledge continues to be of some benefit to you

I would however, prefer that without results and knowing me personally, having never raced each other (that I am aware of) nor trained together on the same team, that a bit of courtesy be offered in the future, with regard to suggesting that anyone on this thread has nothing but pedantic platitudes to offer, as it was put.

Were I interested and/or willing to be other than professional, I would disclose identity and provide insult to the arrogant nature of the post. However, I prefer to maintain my status, professionally, and doing so is of greater value among peirs than placing one who clearly is not (excepting race results). Results, in the lists speak louder than so many words. See you on the course
shawnbbrad , perhaps. Let me know where you shall race next, and with or without the team, I will do my best to be available. No words needed that day.

Another factor is if you are using a triple! I headed up a hill with these fellas in the club and I am thinking to myself "hell how come their legs aren't going so slow?" .. as I peered down in horror, looked up blury eyed into a set of glinting choppers the reply was obvious "we're not ashamed to use our triples" .. bastards I heard myself whimper! Yep, there was me thinking I was some kind of whimp going up this 8% or more. There are many of those around and I can muster up a huge 6-8 mph but don't go talking to me or anything cos conversation is not on my agendaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hi lil sis ..

Tons of climbing around here. And I'm trying to transform myself into more of a climber. I'm hating it less and less - which is a good thing.

It totally is individual to the hill/climb -but I'd say I average about 10-12 mph on climbs.

I dont like to make people feel bad...

...but the two main climbs locally (grades are pure guesses) are called:

1) Sliebh Mish (Sleeve Mish): Which is about 8-9% (although gets to 14% towards the top) for just under two miles, on that I average around 8-10 MPH.

2) Castlemaine (Casel main): Averages only 3% for 3.4 miles, and I'd usually get up that at 17.5 MPH - although its right at the end of most of my training rides. I did however do a hill climb on that one a few weeks back, I got up in a time of 10 minutes 31 seconds, for an average speed of 19.398 MPH (although I had a bit of a tailwind, maybe 2-3 MPH, which would make a fair difference).

However, I am one of the best under 16 climbers in Ireland, so not everyone can hope to be at my level :D .

P.S. I'm only patronising people for a laugh, please dont send me any angry emails or threatening letters :) .

Man- you all are eclipsing me... My uphill poll reads:

Faster then the turtle
Slower then the turtle
An equal match to the turtle

Usually, I am slightly faster then the turtle...but require my share of breaks during the climb. The turlte also does not have, or require, the same fitness regimine I do (powered by Budweiser)
Now- I tell you, get me on the other side of the mountain and it is on...downhill is where I truly shine

Sam I am, Sam I am, methinks melikes Sam I am.

Altough my first choice in American beer would be a Sam Adams, or when I'm in Téjas, I drink your basic Shiner or Cellis (an Austin brew, so very tasty, declined in a multitude of varieties, bock, pale ale, white beer, stout...) .

I'm roughly as fast as the turtle, but I take no breaks. I have vowed to myself that I will NEVER walk my baby up the hill. Never. Proud Mary.

Oh- I won't push it up a hill, hell, I just turn around and pretend I was meanin' to go down that sucker

A little Shiner in the water bottle, and some Robert Earl Keen Jr. in the MP3 player, and I can go all day- now that is quality cycling
Thanks for the laugh
Cheers

Since I live right near the Patapsco valley outside of Baltimore, Maryland, every daily ride I do that wants to avoid beltway style traffic must go through the valley.

I typically have to ride about 3-5 miles of uphill (road length, not vertical feet) on even a typical 20 mile ride.

Depending which direction I take the routes I do, I'm either climbing steep roads (probably close to 10%) or somewhat easier ones but longer (at about 6% or so).

I'm between 10-12 on the less steep ones, and about 8-9 on the steep ones.

The sad part is, back in the day when I was racing and hadn't stopped riding (I stopped for 6 years), I would climb the same hills 3-5 mph faster ......... I even remember one day on a fast training ride where I climbed the main hill I did at almost 18-20 mph all the way up ............ Those were the days!

Now I'm older, fatter, and slower, but trying to get back to at least something close to that level!

I used to absolutely LOVE hills. Now I am trying hard to like them so I don't get discouraged about getting back into shape .....

Daremo said:
Since I live right near the Patapsco valley outside of Baltimore, Maryland, every daily ride I do that wants to avoid beltway style traffic must go through the valley.

I typically have to ride about 3-5 miles of uphill (road length, not vertical feet) on even a typical 20 mile ride.

Depending which direction I take the routes I do, I'm either climbing steep roads (probably close to 10%) or somewhat easier ones but longer (at about 6% or so).

I'm between 10-12 on the less steep ones, and about 8-9 on the steep ones.

The sad part is, back in the day when I was racing and hadn't stopped riding (I stopped for 6 years), I would climb the same hills 3-5 mph faster ......... I even remember one day on a fast training ride where I climbed the main hill I did at almost 18-20 mph all the way up ............ Those were the days!

Now I'm older, fatter, and slower, but trying to get back to at least something close to that level!

I used to absolutely LOVE hills. Now I am trying hard to like them so I don't get discouraged about getting back into shape .....

Well there aren't any long hills around where I live in Ohio. There are a few short steep ones though. I have no trouble climbing then on my 'bent. It has a pretty good granny gear that will spin nice. A lot easier than on my Trek road bike, albeit somewhat slower. When climbing the 'bent goes like a mountain bike as long as you can spin.

'bent Brian

No eight-mile hills around here, but a couple of years ago I rode up U.S. 276 in North Carolina to the Blue Ridge Parkway, a route used by the Tour Dupont in 1996. I rode the 16 km with 4% average in an hour. It is not a steady climb, though; most of the climbing (340 m/ 1100 ft) is in the last 5k/3mi at about 7%. On that part I think I was going about 10kph most of the time, or 6 mph.
Most of the climbs around Columbia are less than half a mile/ 1k, and less than 5%. On those I usually do about 20kph, but on the steeper pitches I am down around 15 or 12kph. One loop I used to do near my old house had three rather difficult climbs that added up to about 200m of climbing every 13k lap. I used to try to do 2 laps in an hour. The first of those has a section about 20% or more, the second starts at 12%, but averages to 8% for 1/2 mile. That is probably most difficult (of the three and of any I know in Columbia), and I am stuck about 15kph on that. The last one is most steady, and is about a mile at 4 or 5 percent. I would usually go about 20kph on that, but sometimes 23 or so if I decided to keep it on the big ring.
The last time I had a new freewheel put on, the mechanic spoiled me without asking me, and gave me a 12-28, and I was ashamed of the 28 at first, but it has come in handy on that 20% slope more than once. And I must admit I used it most of the time on the steeper parts of the long climb in NC.
I am probably writing too much. I have always preferred the hills. The climbers in the Tour amaze and inspire me, but I have slowly come to accept that I will probably never climb like that. I am close to 2m/6ft. 5, and about 200 lbs./90kg:)

How do you know what the grade% is on a climb?
Perhaps...there is an instrument that determines the %??
I live and bike in West Virginia (newbie, as reflected by my whopping number of posts) so I know we have some nice climbs, I'm just not sure how to tell what the grade is.

isisk said:
How do you know what the grade% is on a climb?
Perhaps...there is an instrument that determines the %??
I live and bike in West Virginia (newbie, as reflected by my whopping number of posts) so I know we have some nice climbs, I'm just not sure how to tell what the grade is.
I use USGS (United States Geological Survey) topographic maps, which have contour lines showing each 10-foot increment of elevation (here in Columbia, where it is relatively flat) or broader increments (40 feet for the map showing the climb to the blue ridge parkway). I measure the elevation change, divide it by the distance (sometimes I have to estimate; and make sure they are in the same units), and there you have it (as a decimal [.06=6%, etc.]). USGS maps are available at many outdoor/backpaking/wilderness type stores, or you can look online for the usgs, I think it is under the dept. of the Interior. The "7.5 minute" (60 minutes=1 degree of latitude) maps are the most detailed, I think. I think you will have fun with those in your part of the world. :)

drebro said:
I use USGS (United States Geological Survey) topographic maps, which have contour lines showing each 10-foot increment of elevation (here in Columbia, where it is relatively flat) or broader increments (40 feet for the map showing the climb to the blue ridge parkway). I measure the elevation change, divide it by the distance (sometimes I have to estimate; and make sure they are in the same units), and there you have it (as a decimal [.06=6%, etc.]). USGS maps are available at many outdoor/backpaking/wilderness type stores, or you can look online for the usgs, I think it is under the dept. of the Interior. The "7.5 minute" (60 minutes=1 degree of latitude) maps are the most detailed, I think. I think you will have fun with those in your part of the world. :)
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to checking some out and seeing what I can do.....

TeamSpine said:
Just wanted to see what your average climbing speed is. MPH I know there can be several factors, but assume this is a difficult climbs that last nearly 8 miles, at some points a 10% grade....

I've been known to go back down the hill so I can get a running start at it...does that count as a negative speed?

depending on how far i've ridden before i hit the dreaded hills, i notice i drop from say 20km/h to say 10km/h and under.