Average MPH

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:39:29 GMT, Bill wrote:

> Age is a factor in the actual elite racer class, but even if I can't
> actually race an elite 30 year old, riding has made me in far better
> shape than the '*AVERAGE*' 35 year old couch lump.

Just take it as read that we know how amazing you are, Billy. No
need to keep reminding us.

Michael Warner <[email protected]> writes:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:39:29 GMT, Bill wrote:
>
>> Age is a factor in the actual elite racer class, but even if I can't
>> actually race an elite 30 year old, riding has made me in far better
>> shape than the '*AVERAGE*' 35 year old couch lump.

> Just take it as read that we know how amazing you are, Billy. No
> need to keep reminding us.

He was talking about riders in general.

Or, so he'd have it.

Despite his gratuitous abuse of the
perpendicular pronoun.

Me, me, me, me, I, lookit me, I'm so good.

"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."

Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

That's Bill.

Except I don't thing he's ever had a big statue
made in his honour. Not one that the rest of us
can see, anyways.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Michael Warner <[email protected]> writes:
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:39:29 GMT, Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Age is a factor in the actual elite racer class, but even if I can't
>>> actually race an elite 30 year old, riding has made me in far better
>>> shape than the '*AVERAGE*' 35 year old couch lump.

>> Just take it as read that we know how amazing you are, Billy. No
>> need to keep reminding us.

> He was talking about riders in general.
>
> Or, so he'd have it.
>
> Despite his gratuitous abuse of the
> perpendicular pronoun.
>
> Me, me, me, me, I, lookit me, I'm so good.
>
> "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."
>
> Nothing beside remains: round the decay
> Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
> The lone and level sands stretch far away.
>
> That's Bill.
>
> Except I don't thing he's ever had a big statue
> made in his honour. Not one that the rest of us
> can see, anyways.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

I never rode in an organized race since I turned into a bike fanatic and
I sure ain't going for one of those jackass "Off a cliff" Darwin
attempts.so, no, I don't have nay trophies. It was meant to be about the
'us' in cyclists being so much better fir then the ones (younger
included) that just come home and call the couch home and the wife is
there to retrieve the beer, remote, and munchies, while the smokes have
never been out of his pocket. Just because I don't post in your accepted
'oh so humble' format does not mean I am coming here to spread ********.
Far from it, I espouse the the fitness frame of mind, and it has done us
all well, keeping me healthy beyond my time, and alive when less
motivated friends have died, since they thought exercise was evil and a
waste of time. I have about 5 years to have a friend, now 60, who thinks
that his, 'labor' job keeps him in shape. I worked 3 months with him on
a consulting contract and there is not output of BTU so he gets no
cardiovascular work from his labor job. What is wrong here?
Bill Baka

Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 21 Dec 2006 08:13:06 -0800, gds wrote:
>
>> You don't see many 40+ riders winning sprints either.
>> If you want to see how age impacts times just look at your state
>> champpionships. You will find it very unusual for riders to be winning
>> the 1/2 races after 35.

>I agree that it's unusual, but the fact that these people exist suggests
>to me that it's possible if you maintain your level of training.

Exactly. I remember the 2004 AZ state hill climb championship - a 60
year old guy shattered the previous age group record with a time that
would have won the 35 or 40 year old class (though interestingly, not
the 45!), and put him within a little more than a minute of the Cat 3
winners.

I also remember that race because of getting creamed in the tandem
division (my previous stoker moved away the previous year, so I'll
blame him). ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Dec 2006 08:13:06 -0800, gds wrote:
>>
>>> You don't see many 40+ riders winning sprints either.
>>> If you want to see how age impacts times just look at your state
>>> champpionships. You will find it very unusual for riders to be winning
>>> the 1/2 races after 35.

>> I agree that it's unusual, but the fact that these people exist suggests
>> to me that it's possible if you maintain your level of training.

> Exactly. I remember the 2004 AZ state hill climb championship - a 60
> year old guy shattered the previous age group record with a time that
> would have won the 35 or 40 year old class (though interestingly, not
> the 45!), and put him within a little more than a minute of the Cat 3
> winners.
>
> I also remember that race because of getting creamed in the tandem
> division (my previous stoker moved away the previous year, so I'll
> blame him). ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

It happens, rarely, but there are some people who either have a serious
amount of motivation, are genetic freaks, or both. Not that I expect a
60 year old in the TdF this year, but if enough people make their
fortune early and devote the rest of their lives to fanatic levels of
riding, it isn't totally impossible either. Man evolves, how may be an
individual thing. An old man used to be 40, a mere 2,000 years ago. The
average life span was around mid to late 40's in 1900. 60 was old in the
1950's but now it is a time for some to get fit. Some of this is
medical, some evolutionary, some better food and fitness education, non
smoking, and other factors, but it is happening.
The "Old Man" in the 2005 TdF was 37 but soon it might be a guy in his 40's.
You just can't read the future.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill <[email protected]> writes:

>> He was talking about riders in general.
>>
>> Or, so he'd have it.
>>

>> Despite his gratuitous abuse of the
>> perpendicular pronoun.
>>
>> Me, me, me, me, I, lookit me, I'm so good.
>>
>> "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."
>>
>> Nothing beside remains: round the decay
>> Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
>> The lone and level sands stretch far away.
>>
>> That's Bill.
>>
>> Except I don't thing he's ever had a big statue
>> made in his honour. Not one that the rest of us
>> can see, anyways.

> I I

> What is wrong here?

You talk about yourself too much.

I admit, I do, too. But gee whiz --
your braggadoccio sometimes is too much,
even for me.

What really gets anti-socially tiring is
one-upmanship.

And I'm still making a sincere effort to forgive
you for your typifying r.b.m people as road-bikie
snobs.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

[email protected] wrote in news:1166218677.470520.294630
@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> The riding average can be a useful and informative piece of info, but
> on it's own it can be quite misleading, and when it is used in a
> misleading (intentional or not) way, that is irritating.

I pretty much ignore other people's claims. I don't race, and especially
here on r.b.m. I have no idea the fitness level, age, ride profiles, etc.
that other people are using to calculate their "MPH", and it makes no
difference to me. I ride for my own pleasure and fitness.

I do use a computer to monitor my "progress" but I don't feel compelled
to share the results with anyone. It's certainly not that I'm ashamed of
my performance. In fact, I'm quite pleased. I just got back on the bike
in June after not having much exercise at all due to six months of chemo
and radiation therapy. By early October I was riding in a metric century
(with over 4000 feet of climbing) and in February I will be doing a
century. I won't be the fastest, but I won't be the slowest either. And
what's important to me is that I'm out there riding and pushing myself a
little harder than I was a few years ago.

Cheers,
David

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> I need to know how long the trip takes, not the time in the saddle.
>> It is giving distances in hours which is one of my pet peeves when I
>> hear it on the radio. Someone will say that X is an hour from Y. By
>> what means? Car, helicopter, F18, ox cart, canoe, bicycle, walking?

I'm confused. First you say you want to know how long a trip takes, then
you say it's one of your pet peeves to hear such information provided on
the radio.

Unless otherwise stated (i.e., by train, airplane, etc.) it's safe to
assume that if you hear a travel time here in the USA, it means by car.

> I have some German friends who also marveled at that when they were
> studying in the US. They would never think of expressing distances
> that way. On the Autobahn a lot depends on what sort of car you have!

Unlike the Autobahn, we have speed limits here. Plus, congestion on
various roads will reduce the "average" speed and often in a
surprisingly predictable way. So giving "distances" as travel time is
quite useful. If they just tell me that I'm 120 miles from LAX airport,
that's not very useful. I might assume that I can safely get there in 2
hours, but from here, it is quite predictable to say 2.5 hours average -
3.5 if at "rush hour". (Although, I can make it in about 2 hours if it's
at 1:00AM.)

Cheers,
David

"Solvang Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in news:1166218677.470520.294630
> @j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> The riding average can be a useful and informative piece of info, but
>> on it's own it can be quite misleading, and when it is used in a
>> misleading (intentional or not) way, that is irritating.
>>

> I pretty much ignore other people's claims. I don't race, and especially
> here on r.b.m. I have no idea the fitness level, age, ride profiles, etc.
> that other people are using to calculate their "MPH", and it makes no
> difference to me. I ride for my own pleasure and fitness.
>
> I do use a computer to monitor my "progress" but I don't feel compelled
> to share the results with anyone. It's certainly not that I'm ashamed of
> my performance. In fact, I'm quite pleased. I just got back on the bike
> in June after not having much exercise at all due to six months of chemo
> and radiation therapy. By early October I was riding in a metric century
> (with over 4000 feet of climbing) and in February I will be doing a
> century. I won't be the fastest, but I won't be the slowest either. And
> what's important to me is that I'm out there riding and pushing myself a
> little harder than I was a few years ago.
>
> Cheers,
> David

That is fantastic David. I bet you can do anything you set your mind to and
Feb. will be your best experience ever.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 21 Dec 2006 08:13:06 -0800, gds wrote:
> >
> >> You don't see many 40+ riders winning sprints either.
> >> If you want to see how age impacts times just look at your state
> >> champpionships. You will find it very unusual for riders to be winning
> >> the 1/2 races after 35.

> >I agree that it's unusual, but the fact that these people exist suggests
> >to me that it's possible if you maintain your level of training.

> Exactly. I remember the 2004 AZ state hill climb championship - a 60
> year old guy shattered the previous age group record with a time that
> would have won the 35 or 40 year old class (though interestingly, not
> the 45!), and put him within a little more than a minute of the Cat 3
> winners.
>
> I also remember that race because of getting creamed in the tandem
> division (my previous stoker moved away the previous year, so I'll
> blame him). ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Yes, well Herb Johnson is a very talented rider. But he is not really
typical of 60+ racers. That is obvious since he wins almost every race
he enters ;-)

I agree that there are a (small) number of super seniors out there. But
I'll stick by my statement that they can not beat elite pro/1/2's and
back to original point that age impacts more than just climbing.

nash wrote:

> Did you know he entered a road race. His picture was with the Lance
> Armstrong photos I googled. Not with L.A., just by himself
> http://velonews.com/galleries/contest13a/Ned Overend is a fast roadie too - by Tom Spross1.html

He has entered and won a lot of road races! He prettymuch sets the
standard for a career accross several cycling disciplines over several
decades. Pretty impressive!
While he can be inspirational to lots of folks he is not simply a
product of training. He has lots of natural talent as well.

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Did you know he entered a road race. His picture was with the Lance
>> Armstrong photos I googled. Not with L.A., just by himself
>> http://velonews.com/galleries/contest13a/Ned Overend is a fast roadie too - by Tom Spross1.html

>He has entered and won a lot of road races! He prettymuch sets the
>standard for a career accross several cycling disciplines over several
>decades. Pretty impressive!
>While he can be inspirational to lots of folks he is not simply a
>product of training. He has lots of natural talent as well.

It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

news:p[email protected]...

>>> Did you know he entered a road race. His picture was with the Lance
>>> Armstrong photos I googled. Not with L.A., just by himself
>>> http://velonews.com/galleries/contest13a/Ned Overend is a fast roadie too - by Tom Spross1.html

>>He has entered and won a lot of road races! He prettymuch sets the
>>standard for a career accross several cycling disciplines over several
>>decades. Pretty impressive!
>>While he can be inspirational to lots of folks he is not simply a
>>product of training. He has lots of natural talent as well.

> It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
> advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

What did his parents do?

nash wrote:
> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> >>He has entered and won a lot of road races! He prettymuch sets the
> >>standard for a career accross several cycling disciplines over several
> >>decades. Pretty impressive!
> >>While he can be inspirational to lots of folks he is not simply a
> >>product of training. He has lots of natural talent as well.

> > It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
> > advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".
> >
> > Mark Hickey
> > Habanero Cycles
> > http://www.habcycles.com
> > Home of the $795 ti frame

> What did his parents do?

Had good genes to pass on!

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote
>> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote:

veral cycling disciplines over several
>>>decades. Pretty impressive!
>>>While he can be inspirational to lots of folks he is not simply a
>>>product of training. He has lots of natural talent as well.

>> It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
>> advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".

>What did his parents do?

It's a family newsgroup, so I can't explain it to you. I will say
that it probably started off with a nice meal and possibly a back rub.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

>>> It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
>>> advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".

>>What did his parents do?

> It's a family newsgroup, so I can't explain it to you. I will say
> that it probably started off with a nice meal and possibly a back rub.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Wise acres. So choosing your parents wisely had nothing to do with it.
Thanks anyways.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> "gds" <[email protected]> wrote:

> veral cycling disciplines over several
>>>
>>> It's not for nothing than the most important athletic performance
>>> advice ever given is "choose your parents wisely".

>> What did his parents do?

> It's a family newsgroup, so I can't explain it to you. I will say
> that it probably started off with a nice meal and possibly a back rub.

Ah, Republicans.

<eg>