Average (non-racing) cycling speeds

Nick Maclaren

Guest
Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
time trials, and so on.

I am not optimistic :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In article <[email protected]>,
Nick Maclaren <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
>cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
>
>Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
>information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
>time trials, and so on.
>
>I am not optimistic :-(

Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
<http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
(around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
your question.

-patrick.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Patrick Gosling) writes:

|> Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
|> speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
|> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
|> (around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
|> your question.

Chart 5 is interesting, in that the two main 'bumps' in cyclist death
and injury were immediately following changes to the seatbelt laws
(compulsory fitting in 1968 and a major campaign for the next 5 years
or so and compulsory wearing in 1981). That implies that the well
known psychological effect may be partially temporary - which is very
plausible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

"Nick Maclaren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
>
> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> time trials, and so on.
>
> I am not optimistic :-(
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Goodness knows how "they" amass such information. I find that, at a somewhat
overripe age of 70, the loaded or unloaded average on a days run works out at
a tad under 10 mph.

it used to be a tad over 10 mph but my current Raven Tour is geared down for
towing a camping touring loaded trailer and that means that my top speed, on
my local runs, before my feet spin out is about 22 to 24 mph! Which brings
down my daily "at home" average.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
>
> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> time trials, and so on.
>
> I am not optimistic :-(

Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
particular day takes...

I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
commute day in day out?

Regards,

Duncan

"Nick Maclaren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Patrick Gosling) writes:
> |>
> |> Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
> |> speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
> |>
> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
> |> (around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
> |> your question.
>
> Chart 5 is interesting, in that the two main 'bumps' in cyclist death
> and injury were immediately following changes to the seatbelt laws
> (compulsory fitting in 1968 and a major campaign for the next 5 years
> or so and compulsory wearing in 1981). That implies that the well
> known psychological effect may be partially temporary - which is very
> plausible.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

V interesting. Try looking at
http://john-adams.co.uk/2007/01/04/seat-belt-legislation-and-the-isles-report/

The government knew that seat belt laws would increase deaths to peds,
cyclists and car passengers, but suppressed the Isles report, which still
hasn't been officially released.

DfT are and have been fundamentally corrupt for a very long time indeed.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> writes:

|> Goodness knows how "they" amass such information. I find that, at a somewhat
|> overripe age of 70, the loaded or unloaded average on a days run works out at
|> a tad under 10 mph.

I have been as low as 8 - but that was in north Cornwall :)

I am not looking for absolute numbers so much as changes over time.

|> it used to be a tad over 10 mph but my current Raven Tour is geared down for
|> towing a camping touring loaded trailer and that means that my top speed, on
|> my local runs, before my feet spin out is about 22 to 24 mph! Which brings
|> down my daily "at home" average.

A top speed of 22 to 24 mph is impressive!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Duncan Smith wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
>> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
>>
>> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
>> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
>> time trials, and so on.
>>
>> I am not optimistic :-(
>>

> Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
> get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
> However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
> truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
> scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
> particular day takes...

Is that 24miles each way, or a round trip.

> I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
> commute day in day out?

When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).

Martin Dann wrote:

> When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
> normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
> fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).

Should really say that is for the journey to work, the journey home is
often takes 10 min longer.

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Patrick Gosling) writes:
> |>
> |> Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
> |> speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
> |> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
> |> (around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
> |> your question.
>
> Chart 5 is interesting, in that the two main 'bumps' in cyclist death
> and injury were immediately following changes to the seatbelt laws
> (compulsory fitting in 1968 and a major campaign for the next 5 years
> or so and compulsory wearing in 1981). That implies that the well
> known psychological effect may be partially temporary - which is very
> plausible.

There is also a noticeable bump in the pedestrian death data at 1981-82.

In message <[email protected]>
"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I find that, at a somewhat
> overripe age of 70,

Age-ist?

> the loaded or unloaded average on a days run works out at
> a tad under 10 mph.

At age 65 on the shopping runs I get 7-8 mph. I reckon that that is
rotten.

> it used to be a tad over 10 mph but my current Raven Tour is geared down for
> towing a camping touring loaded trailer and that means that my top speed, on
> my local runs, before my feet spin out is about 22 to 24 mph!

That would do me!

Must get another decent bike .. that will enable me to follow your
example, Trevor.
--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

In message <[email protected]>, Martin Dann wrote:

> Martin Dann wrote:
>
>> When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
>> normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
>> fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).

> Should really say that is for the journey to work, the journey home is
> often takes 10 min longer.

I have the opposite effect, I reckon going home is five minutes or more
faster over a 30-ish minute trip even though it's more into the prevailing
wind - must have a slight downhill run to compensate. I seem to average
around 15mph when I'm fit.
--
Dave
mail da [email protected] (without the space)

On Jan 21, 4:38 pm, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> > cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

> > Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> > information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> > time trials, and so on.

> > I am not optimistic :-(

> Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
> get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
> However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
> truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
> scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
> particular day takes...
>
> I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
> commute day in day out?

That's a very long commute (IMO) if it's every day.

I do mine occasionally - 22 miles each way. Typically takes around
1h30 home to desk (not counting getting changed) going and 1h45
returning. (Probably about 10 mins quicker if you exclude getting the
bike in/out of the bike shed at work) It's slower returning because it
takes me longer to get out of the London traffic. When I do do this
commute it's in the summer and I usually have a tail wind on the
Northbound return.

On the Brompton it's a little under 3 miles in London. (Google maps
says 2.6 miles approx 9 minutes) Usually takes between 11mins and
13mins with a best ever of 9m40. The main variable being traffic with
a smaller variability due to traffic lights (I have so many sets of
lights that I always get caught at a few).

In my last job (many years ago now) it was almost exactly 8 miles each
way. Then my average speed over the week was usually a fraction over
20mph on the DF and a fraction under 20mph on the Windcheetah. Baring
extreme weather conditions (e.g. thick snow) I don't think my weekly
average ever went below 20mph on the DF.

Tim.

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Duncan Smith wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> >> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
> >>
> >> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> >> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> >> time trials, and so on.
> >>
> >> I am not optimistic :-(
> >>

> > Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
> > get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
> > However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
> > truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
> > scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
> > particular day takes...

> Is that 24miles each way, or a round trip.
>
> > I would be curious to know what others reckon is average for a lengthy
> > commute day in day out?

> When I am normally fit and healthy, my commute of 8.5 miles each way
> normally takes 29-33 minutes, so an average of about 16-17 mph. (With a
> fastest time of 27 min, the traffic lights were good to me that day).

i tend to average 10mph, the time i go has a big effect, ie before the
traffic builds.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?
>
> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> time trials, and so on.

Riding to work on generally clear roads but with some traffic lights and
big roundabouts, I average 17-19mph in summer, 16-17mph in winter with
the dynamo running (although the cold weather and general short-day
malaise accounts more for the slowdown). That's "computer speed", not
distance divided by door-to-door time, which could be much slower on
days when I'm sitting around waiting for a gap on the roundabout.

On Jan 21, 5:38 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> >> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

> >> Ideally, it would be for UK commuting cyclists, but any reliable
> >> information would be useful. I am NOT interested in racing speeds,
> >> time trials, and so on.

> >> I am not optimistic :-(

> > Commuting to work (24M), without gears and two panniers I pretty much
> > get 13.something more often than not. That's slightly dissapointing.
> > However, on a really good day it only rises to 14.something and on a
> > truly disasterous day it only falls to 12.something - so on the grand
> > scheme of things I've decided not to worry too much about how long a
> > particular day takes...

> Is that 24miles each way, or a round trip.

E/W, if it were less I reckon I'd consider pushing a bit more..

On Jan 21, 7:52 am, [email protected] (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
> Does anyone know of any reliable references as to how the average
> cycling speeds have changed over the past 50-60 years?

This is anecdotal, but when I used to commute on either a Raleigh DL1
or on a Nexus hub equipped bike with similar width tires, the times
were just about identical. I have a feeling that the Raleigh probably
was better rolling due to the much more simple hub, despite having
gumwall tires.

This is fun. My commute is 3.6 miles. With a hill in the middle
(yes, uphill both ways!)

I average (moving average) between 11 and 12 mph. Takes about a
minute longer to get home (longer hill climb side).

For my weekend 200km brevet, our average was just under 10 mph. Our
moving average was just over 12mph. Usually we are faster than that;
finishing in 11:30-12 hours, rather than the 13 hours yesterday.

I've just started using a dynamo hub; it may have some effect on my
speed.

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Patrick Gosling) writes:
> |> Neither am I. There's some quite specific (London-based) cycle journey
> |> speed summary information for 1993-1995 in
> |> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
> |> (around page 21), but that's just a small component of an answer to
> |> your question.
>
> Chart 5 is interesting, in that the two main 'bumps' in cyclist death
> and injury were immediately following changes to the seatbelt laws
> (compulsory fitting in 1968 ...

Except that it wasn't 1968. My 1965 car had the cheapest possible
belts fitted because it was compulsory. I think compulsory fitting was
63 or 64. 63 is more likely to be misprinted as 68.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

"Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nick Maclaren wrote:
>> journey
>> |>
>> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/personal/articles/cyclingingreatbritain1?version=2>
>>
>> Chart 5 is interesting, in that the two main 'bumps' in cyclist death
>> and injury were immediately following changes to the seatbelt laws
>> (compulsory fitting in 1968 ...

> Except that it wasn't 1968. My 1965 car had the cheapest possible belts
> fitted because it was compulsory. I think compulsory fitting was 63 or 64.
> 63 is more likely to be misprinted as 68.

Wikipedia suggests '67