Average pace of an average cycling courier?

dot

Apr 28, 2003
Not speed, heart rate, power, perceived exertion or anything else?
They do ride a lot so I just want to know at what pace they ride.

Sort of an odd question, since I think you'd only get the answer if you picked one up out of context and placed them in a race to see how they performed. Maybe a courier who also trains will come and chime in, but I suspect it to be more about acceleration than average pace, since the job requires darting in and out of traffic, to and from stops and generally around obstacles. An average of that sort of riding might not be a terribly telling stat. I'm sure they're quite fit on average and are superior bike handlers.

graf zeppelin said:
Sort of an odd question, since I think you'd only get the answer if you picked one up out of context and placed them in a race to see how they performed. Maybe a courier who also trains will come and chime in, but I suspect it to be more about acceleration than average pace, since the job requires darting in and out of traffic, to and from stops and generally around obstacles. An average of that sort of riding might not be a terribly telling stat. I'm sure they're quite fit on average and are superior bike handlers.

I'm interested in daily average intensity. Average heart rate for example for the whole day (riding time only).

My average when working as a courier in sydney was between 33-35 kmh. Distance was from 60-90 km a day. You actually spend most of your time in lifts/buildings not riding. Heart rate probably about 150 when riding.

Note i was on a road bike and doing lots of suburban jobs, so the average would be lower if you are just doing shorter trips.

dot said:
Not speed, heart rate, power, perceived exertion or anything else?
They do ride a lot so I just want to know at what pace they ride.

11ring said:
My average when working as a courier in sydney was between 33-35 kmh. Distance was from 60-90 km a day. You actually spend most of your time in lifts/buildings not riding. Heart rate probably about 150 when riding.

Note i was on a road bike and doing lots of suburban jobs, so the average would be lower if you are just doing shorter trips.

And what is your max HR? With this speed and distance you must have been riding just 2-3 hr/day?

Correct. The trips between pickups are actually quite short- usually 1-3 km.

Some couriers do only "city work" and then might ride less than 1 km between trips.So 3 km is considerad a big hike and worthy of complaining.

You can actually ride at quite high outputs for these short intervals. In out of each building is aprox 5 minutes, whilst trip time might be only 2 or 3 minutes, so only about 1/3 of your time you are actually riding. Sometimes you will be held up for 1/2 an hour for some stuff up. Also when you are at the lights for more than 10 seconds and stopped the time doesn't show up on my speedo.

My max is 193 bpm.

dot said:
And what is your max HR? With this speed and distance you must have been riding just 2-3 hr/day?