Average Power on pyrenees cols...

I find the times taken on hautacam quite interesting - riis did it in just 34.35 in 1996 while armstrong posted a 36.22 in 2000. This year saw the two SDers lead them over with a 37.30, Schleck did a 37.58 while the main men did around 40 minutes. Interestingly Cunego and Valverde only climbed 50 seconds slower than the Evans group. The climb of the Tourmalet was also a couple of minutes down on the previous record. Ricco set a new record on d'Aspin (although i suppose this will be wiped) but then it was close to the end of a stage where maximum effort is put in - i dont know if this has happened before. All suggests that the efforts are a bit more believable?

anticyclone,

Where did you get those numbers??? I just spent over an hour with a stop watch timing Lance n company myself!

Anticyclone said:
I find the times taken on hautacam quite interesting - riis did it in just 34.35 in 1996 while armstrong posted a 36.22 in 2000. This year saw the two SDers lead them over with a 37.30, Schleck did a 37.58 while the main men did around 40 minutes. Interestingly Cunego and Valverde only climbed 50 seconds slower than the Evans group. The climb of the Tourmalet was also a couple of minutes down on the previous record. Ricco set a new record on d'Aspin (although i suppose this will be wiped) but then it was close to the end of a stage where maximum effort is put in - i dont know if this has happened before. All suggests that the efforts are a bit more believable?
And the SDers are probably doped up with EPO! So, I wonder how long it will take if the riders are really clean. The problem is that there are two variables: the natural ability of the rider, and the boost he gets from the dope. So, it could be that the SDers are mediocre riders who have been significantly boosted by the dope, or that the SDers are pretty average riders, and most of the riders in question above have some sort of boost from doping.

I got them from the link in Pouli's post? If you go down to the tables then it shows the records for the tourmalet and in the text it talks about previous records for the hautacam. I cant understand much french at all but i used an online translator for the riis and armstrong bits - hopefully the translation was right!

ok, thanks. I got it.

Of course there are so many possible intervening variables ( length of stage, pace on previous climbs, what kind of stage the day before) to get a completely fair comparison, but very interesting nonetheless.

Poulidor, help me out. Does it say Ricco had 15 Watts less or more power than the best of armstrong on aspin?

EvilJediJ said:
Poulidor, help me out. Does it say Ricco had 15 Watts less or more power than the best of armstrong on aspin?
Less power than Armstrong.