Average speed again

Ozzii Pete

Guest
Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like for
say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

This is average speed that is shown on your speedometre when you finish the trip. Cheers...Peter

Ozzii Pete wrote:
> Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like
> for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

Oh no, not again. Too many variables. "relatively flat" means very different things depending where
you live. Respectable for a social ride? race training? touring? You want aerobic training? weight
loss? muscle building? City or country? breeze? And are you alone or in a pack?

You see, its really a pointless question.

Answer is somewhere between 20 and 40 km/hr.

> Ozzii Pete wrote:
> > Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys
do on
> > a racing bike, like for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with
> > few steep hills thrown in.

32.465kph.

hippy

Originally posted by Hippy
> Ozzii Pete wrote:
> > Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys
do on
> > a racing bike, like for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with
> > few steep hills thrown in.

32.465kph.

hippy

I'm a trackie, and therefore at the most I do an hour. Between 27 and 30, depending on the wind, I'd say. Whether thats a 'respectable average speed', I can't say. But sometimes, when I'm feeling good, I like to pretend I'm in the TdF, and thats good enough for me. :p

hippy wrote:

>> Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like
>> for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

> 32.465kph.

You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance because he'll be using a normal
bike computer, not the monster you use which calculates the average to three decimal places.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

"John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > 32.465kph.
>
> You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance
because
> he'll be using a normal bike computer, not the monster you use which
calculates
> the average to three decimal places.

True. In that case it'd be 32.47.

Maybe I should look at getting the 'aero' version?

hippy

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:19:14 +0000, hippy wrote:

>>> 32.465kph.
>> You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance because he'll be using a normal
>> bike computer, not the monster you use which calculates the average to three decimal places.
>
> True. In that case it'd be 32.47. Maybe I should look at getting the 'aero' version?

Is that the one that compensates for the lower wind resistance during hot weather ?

-kt

(oooh xmas eve - only one sleep to go, nearly time to go assemble that trampoline)

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

Originally posted by Kingsley
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:19:14 +0000, hippy wrote:

>>> 32.465kph.
>> You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance because he'll be using a normal
>> bike computer, not the monster you use which calculates the average to three decimal places.
>
> True. In that case it'd be 32.47. Maybe I should look at getting the 'aero' version?

Is that the one that compensates for the lower wind resistance during hot weather ?

-kt

(oooh xmas eve - only one sleep to go, nearly time to go assemble that trampoline)

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

I don't know why are you so worried about this slight difference. I bet that making the same route in different days you will never have exactly the same average speed. The reason : all the conditions can change from one day to other unless you train into a laboratory. The wind conditions: speed, direction, your own physical conditions, the traffic, etc. I use the same route on sundays (100 kms long) and I calculate my average in flat numbers, that means 28 kms/hr, to make a total of 3:34 and even that I have a variation of +/- 1 km/h in the average speed

Originally posted by ffvelazquezh
I don't know why are you so worried about this slight difference. I bet that making the same route in different days you will never have exactly the same average speed. The reason : all the conditions can change from one day to other unless you train into a laboratory. The wind conditions: speed, direction, your own physical conditions, the traffic, etc. I use the same route on sundays (100 kms long) and I calculate my average in flat numbers, that means 28 kms/hr, to make a total of 3:34 and even that I have a variation of +/- 1 km/h in the average speed

It was taking the **** - you idiot!

Originally posted by Spider1977
It was taking the **** - you idiot!

I think you have to be a little more polite, because All of Us can show bad manners, but I think this is a respectful place. Anyway, my message was not addressed to you, but for me it still more idiot if you waste your time measuring how long you take to ****.

Originally posted by ffvelazquezh
I think you have to be a little more polite, because All of Us can show bad manners, but I think this is a respectful place. Anyway, my message was not addressed to you, but for me it still more idiot if you waste your time measuring how long you take to ****.

As this is a predominantly Australian discussion group most people from the southern States would understand the "you idiot' reference. It's not rude - just stating the facts. And given your reply, probably applies again.

Can't really understand how anyone would answer these questions about speed - there are too many variables including bike, rider, terrain and weather to name a few.

My advice - just go out and ride;)

Well I went in the Simpson Desert Cycle a couple of years ago and you need to be averaging 12.5 km/h
to avoid being picked up by the sweep ;-)

On the road....(on roadbike)did a 50km (very hilly) ride the other day...averaged about 25 km/h
without trying too hard (ie: I enjoyed myself).

In the bush it is a lot less but really depends on how big the hills are.

If you're enjoying yourself and getting out there I guess that is all that matters.

Rob

Originally posted by Spider1977
As this is a predominantly Australian discussion group most people from the southern States would understand the "you idiot' reference. It's not rude - just stating the facts. And given your reply, probably applies again.

Can't really understand how anyone would answer these questions about speed - there are too many variables including bike, rider, terrain and weather to name a few.

My advice - just go out and ride;)

I want to apologize by my misunderstanding about the term used. But it was very good for me to know it because I used to read a lot your past posts and I have very good impression about you as a person with very good knowledge about the cycling themes, and for me as a novice, is important to count with the help of skilled people like you.

Thanks