Average speed again

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ozzii Pete, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Ozzii Pete

    Ozzii Pete Guest

    Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like for
    say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

    This is average speed that is shown on your speedometre when you finish the trip. Cheers...Peter

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Ozzii Pete wrote:
    > Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like
    > for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

    Oh no, not again. Too many variables. "relatively flat" means very different things depending where
    you live. Respectable for a social ride? race training? touring? You want aerobic training? weight
    loss? muscle building? City or country? breeze? And are you alone or in a pack?

    You see, its really a pointless question.

    Answer is somewhere between 20 and 40 km/hr.

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    > Ozzii Pete wrote:
    > > Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys
    do on
    > > a racing bike, like for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with
    > > few steep hills thrown in.

    32.465kph.

    hippy

  4. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    I'm a trackie, and therefore at the most I do an hour. Between 27 and 30, depending on the wind, I'd say. Whether thats a 'respectable average speed', I can't say. But sometimes, when I'm feeling good, I like to pretend I'm in the TdF, and thats good enough for me. :p

  5. hippy wrote:

    >> Hi all, just wanted to know whats a respectable average speed you guys do on a racing bike, like
    >> for say a 2 hour ride an relatively flat ground with a few steep hills thrown in.

    > 32.465kph.

    You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance because he'll be using a normal
    bike computer, not the monster you use which calculates the average to three decimal places.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > 32.465kph.
    >
    > You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance
    because
    > he'll be using a normal bike computer, not the monster you use which
    calculates
    > the average to three decimal places.

    True. In that case it'd be 32.47.

    Maybe I should look at getting the 'aero' version?

    hippy

  7. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Geez hippy, you're fast - I'd reckon I would average 32.35 :rolleyes:

  8. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:19:14 +0000, hippy wrote:

    >>> 32.465kph.
    >> You've forgotten to factor in the slightly lower wind resistance because he'll be using a normal
    >> bike computer, not the monster you use which calculates the average to three decimal places.
    >
    > True. In that case it'd be 32.47. Maybe I should look at getting the 'aero' version?

    Is that the one that compensates for the lower wind resistance during hot weather ?

    -kt

    (oooh xmas eve - only one sleep to go, nearly time to go assemble that trampoline)

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

  9. ffvelazquezh

    ffvelazquezh New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I don't know why are you so worried about this slight difference. I bet that making the same route in different days you will never have exactly the same average speed. The reason : all the conditions can change from one day to other unless you train into a laboratory. The wind conditions: speed, direction, your own physical conditions, the traffic, etc. I use the same route on sundays (100 kms long) and I calculate my average in flat numbers, that means 28 kms/hr, to make a total of 3:34 and even that I have a variation of +/- 1 km/h in the average speed

  10. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    It was taking the piss - you idiot!

  11. ffvelazquezh

    ffvelazquezh New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003

    I think you have to be a little more polite, because All of Us can show bad manners, but I think this is a respectful place. Anyway, my message was not addressed to you, but for me it still more idiot if you waste your time measuring how long you take to piss.

  12. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    As this is a predominantly Australian discussion group most people from the southern States would understand the "you idiot' reference. It's not rude - just stating the facts. And given your reply, probably applies again.

    Can't really understand how anyone would answer these questions about speed - there are too many variables including bike, rider, terrain and weather to name a few.

    My advice - just go out and ride;)

  13. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Well I went in the Simpson Desert Cycle a couple of years ago and you need to be averaging 12.5 km/h
    to avoid being picked up by the sweep ;-)

    On the road....(on roadbike)did a 50km (very hilly) ride the other day...averaged about 25 km/h
    without trying too hard (ie: I enjoyed myself).

    In the bush it is a lot less but really depends on how big the hills are.

    If you're enjoying yourself and getting out there I guess that is all that matters.

    Rob

  14. ffvelazquezh

    ffvelazquezh New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I want to apologize by my misunderstanding about the term used. But it was very good for me to know it because I used to read a lot your past posts and I have very good impression about you as a person with very good knowledge about the cycling themes, and for me as a novice, is important to count with the help of skilled people like you.

    Thanks