Average Speed - am I ready to race or join a club?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Turkey Tickler, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Hi there - a bit of advice needed;

    Im just getting back to fitness after a 10 year break from cycling.

    Ive got an OK racing bike and am getting averages of around 18.5 mph on my own over 25-30 miles.

    I want to start riding with a club of like minded people (ie people who are nuts about bikes and
    riding them) with a view to having a go at a a time trial or two and maybe some novice races etc.
    Hopefully next year I can do much more with a better base of fitness to start from.

    My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make a total oaf of myself if
    I join a club run and get dropped? What kind of speeds to these things run at and over what kind of
    distances? I appreciate no two clubs are the same but there must be a rule of thumb? As for Cat4
    races, again, am I fit enough to have a go yet? I dont want to win, just stay up with the bunch.

    PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!

    tia

    TT

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Turkey Tickler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there - a bit of advice needed;
    Hi!

    <snip relevant bit of query>

    > PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!

    Think Helen might have something to say about that....Helen ?

    > tia
    >
    > TT

  3. >PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!

    >tia

    Hah!!! Norfolk may not be Wales of Scotland, be we have our undulations ;-)

    If you are thinking of joining a club, I highly recommend CC Breckland. Friendly club - all
    abilities welcomed - lots of club time trials and lots of open TTs arranged. Although the club is
    time-trial based, it does encourage cycling in other disciplines - Vernon & Nathan did the Bungay
    Criterion earlier in the year, and another club member did the trike race there. There's also a lot
    of time trial events organised in the area and being a club member, you find out what is going on
    where relatively easily. At TT events you'll see trikes and tandems as well as bikes.

    If you are out and about at the weekend, a trip down to Sudbourne (near Southwold) might be of
    interest, as on Saturday, it's the East District GHS Championship and there's an open 10 mile TT
    too. Start time 2pm.

    Otherwise go to www.ccbreckland.co.uk and on the "info" page it gives the history of the club plus
    names and contact phones of various club officials.

    Hope this helps. You can always e-mail me too - if you want more information.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Turkey Tickler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ive got an OK racing bike and am getting averages of around 18.5 mph on my own over 25-30 miles.
    >
    > My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make
    > total oaf of myself if I join a club run and get dropped?

    Plan a route of 5 miles out and back (or 12.5 out and back if roads permit) with no junctions,
    roundabouts etc. Spend 10-20 mins getting to this route gradually speeding/warming up, when you get
    to it ride at your best pace and see if you can manage an average
    >20mph. That's probably a rock bottom competition speed.

    I don't think you'll get dropped on a club run if you can manage 18mph on your own, riding with
    others gives massive benefits in terms of lowered wind resistance assuming you don't spend the whole
    ride at the front. Anyway, what is there to lose by trying and how will you know your capabilities
    if you don't have a go?

    You need to ride in a group non-competitively before even considering doing so competitively.

    Pete

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!
    > >
    > >tia
    >
    > Hah!!! Norfolk may not be Wales of Scotland, be we have our undulations
    ;-) .

    > If you are out and about at the weekend, a trip down to Sudbourne (near Southwold) might be of
    > interest, as on Saturday, it's the East District
    GHS
    > Championship and there's an open 10 mile TT too. Start time 2pm.

    Poaching your suggestion. I live in Leiston, next town down from Southwold, I may well go and
    have a look.

    Cheers Bill

  6. >Plan a route of 5 miles out and back (or 12.5 out and back if roads permit) with no junctions,
    >roundabouts etc. Spend 10-20 mins getting to this route gradually speeding/warming up, when you get
    >to it ride at your best pace and see if you can manage an average
    >>20mph. That's probably a rock bottom competition speed.

    Have to butt in here ;-)

    But my local club, CC Breckland will encourage all levels of ability and will encourage getting
    faster - honest :) You really don't have to be fast to join in - you'll get faster if you do join
    in. When Vernon & Nathan started, there was no way they were doing 20mph averages, but with
    encouragement - that's what they are doing. Put it this way, they even encourage this
    fatbirdonabike, who is not fast, then they have some guys who do go fast. All welcomed, whether you
    compete (as in Vernon & Nathan) or don't (as in yours truly, who tends to marshall events).

    Cheers, helen s :)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > But my local club, CC Breckland will encourage all levels of ability and
    will
    > encourage getting faster - honest :)

    Just the job! But Helen, I was only trying to give some idea of competition speeds, not say that he
    should be capable of >20mph or be put off if he can't achieve that speed currently.

    See my remark: "Anyway, what is there to lose by trying and how will you know your capabilities if
    you don't have a go?"

    So much the better if your club is encouraging, in fact if I were younger and lived in Norfolk......

    Pete (who hit 50 years young today despite some good attempts by others of thwarting me, oh, and a
    few self induced scary moments)

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  9. Thanks to everyone for their replies.....

    Breckland CC sounds very interesting and friendly so I might well look you up....I live in Norwich
    so hopefully that means Im close enough?

    When Im out riding my favourite route (Norwich- Wymondham via a Barford, East Carlton etc) I often
    see a bunch TTers screaming past Ketteringham on a wednesday night - is that you guys?

    Thanks again

    Chris

    "Turkey Tickler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there - a bit of advice needed;
    >
    > Im just getting back to fitness after a 10 year break from cycling.
    >
    > Ive got an OK racing bike and am getting averages of around 18.5 mph on my own over 25-30 miles.
    >
    > I want to start riding with a club of like minded people (ie people who
    are
    > nuts about bikes and riding them) with a view to having a go at a a time trial or two and maybe
    > some novice races etc. Hopefully next year I can
    do
    > much more with a better base of fitness to start from.
    >
    > My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make
    > total oaf of myself if I join a club run and get dropped? What kind of speeds to these things run
    > at and over what kind of distances? I
    appreciate
    > no two clubs are the same but there must be a rule of thumb? As for Cat4 races, again, am I fit
    > enough to have a go yet? I dont want to win, just stay up with the bunch.
    >
    > PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!
    >
    > tia
    >
    > TT

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Turkey Tickler wrote:

    > My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make a total oaf of myself
    > if I join a club run and get dropped?

    What the local club do isn't going to be quite the same everywhere. There are probably Chain Gangs
    where you'd fit in fine and others that would disappear over the horizon, quite possibly some where
    they'd slow you down... the only way to be sure is suck it and see. And I can't see that you'd make
    a plonker of yourself even if you do get dropped, as long as you don't show up with the clear
    attitude that you're about to teach them how to ride (and your post suggests you aren't going to to
    do that, so why worry?).

    Get in touch with the local clubs and ask them: they'll know what they do better than we do, and
    you'll find out first hand if they're a friendly bunch or not, which is a rather important
    detail as well!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. lol it does PB it does! :) "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Turkey Tickler wrote:
    > > Ive got an OK racing bike and am getting averages of around 18.5 mph on my own over 25-30 miles.
    >
    > According to http://ukcycling.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1035&p=2&stid=8023948 , you're
    > already fit enough to start racing (and faster than me, you barsteward!). Thought that might
    > cheer you up :)
    >
    > ~PB

  12. >Breckland CC sounds very interesting and friendly so I might well look you up....I live in Norwich
    >so hopefully that means Im close enough?

    Oh yes - several of the riders are from Norwich area.

    >When Im out riding my favourite route (Norwich- Wymondham via a Barford, East Carlton etc) I often
    >see a bunch TTers screaming past Ketteringham on a wednesday night - is that you guys?

    Yup - that'll be us. One of the courses used for the Wednesday night club 10 mile competition is
    around Ketteringham. The others are North Tuddenham (along a bit of the A47) and at Scoulton (around
    the roads of Hingham & area). Then you might see riders on the A11 as part between Attleborough &
    Wymondham is used for open competitions.

    Next Wednesday's club 10 mile is on the Ketteringham course. HQ is Ketteringham village hall, and
    first rider off is at 19.01hrs

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  13. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Turkey Tickler wrote:

    :> My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make a total oaf of myself
    :> if I join a club run and get dropped?

    : What the local club do isn't going to be quite the same everywhere. There are probably Chain Gangs
    : where you'd fit in fine and others that would disappear over the horizon, quite possibly some
    : where they'd slow you down...

    Most "racing" clubs will have a range of rides. eg we (Clifton CC) have rides ranging from 14-15mph
    average (Saturday morning social) via 17-18mph (Sunday cafe run) to 20mph (Saturday am training
    ride) to 23-24mph (Tuesday night chaingang).

    Most clubs are similar, and will offer you rides that you will find hard enough to improve, but not
    too hard to be discouraging.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  14. Turkey Tickler wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone for their replies.....
    >
    > Breckland CC sounds very interesting and friendly so I might well look you up....I live in Norwich
    > so hopefully that means Im close enough?
    >
    > When Im out riding my favourite route (Norwich- Wymondham via a Barford, East Carlton etc) I often
    > see a bunch TTers screaming past Ketteringham on a wednesday night - is that you guys?

    Dear TT

    (following up on Helen's answer) If you email me off-ng with a proper email address, I can send you
    info about the CCB club time-trials, etc (I do the results, calendar, etc)

    Alex Noel-Tod

  15. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Nick Kew wrote:
    >

    >>In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    >>of [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'll be the fatbird yelling "Come on Nathan!" And Vernon will be the bald guy with a beard
    >>>shouting the same, to our poor 14 year-old on his bike pedalling for all he's worth in the
    >>>GHS ;-)
    >>
    >>14???
    >>
    >>Isn't he horribly embarassed by having parents taking such an active interest in his activities? I
    >>kind-of assumed from the tone of your family postings he was perhaps three or four years younger
    >>than that.
    >

    > Interestingly there is a thread over on veloriders on a similar subject - of pushy parents yelling
    > at offspring, although the main thrust is forcing youngsters into a sport which can result in them
    > giving it up.
    >
    > John B

    we've never pushed our two into having to ride, though we have both ridden as well, Bev starting TTs
    after getting bored watching me and the children ride them.

    Then the children got me riding grass track at 45, after they had raved about how much fun it was,
    so we all enjoy it

    --
    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply

  16. John B

    John B Guest

    Pete Whelan wrote:

    > John B wrote:
    >

    > > Interestingly there is a thread over on veloriders on a similar subject - of pushy parents
    > > yelling at offspring, although the main thrust is forcing youngsters into a sport which can
    > > result in them giving it up.
    > >
    > > John B
    > >

    > we've never pushed our two into having to ride, though we have both ridden as well, Bev starting
    > TTs after getting bored watching me and the children ride them.

    I have three riding - mostly touring rides but some circuit racing too, (but no way will I let them
    ride TT's). They always choose what they want to do as regards cycling (within reason) - whether its
    a potter down the lanes to go fishing or a hammer around Hillingdon or Eastway.

    Some parents do seem to go OTT in their pushiness, although they are probably in the minority in
    numbers, but they are the loudest in vociferousness.

    I couldn't believe the havoc they caused at the Manchester International Youth Tour where it was
    appeal after appeal after appeal - "My Johnnie beat your Emily" "No he didn't, Yes he did" - punch
    (well, almost). We sat back and watched the entertainment ;-)

    > Then the children got me riding grass track at 45, after they had raved about how much fun it was,

    That's brill and shows the enthusiasm cycling can put into youngsters. You are very lucky but it is
    probably a result of your not pushing them into racing.

    > so we all enjoy it

    If only there was grass track down here - I'm assuming you are up-north (ish).

    John B

  17. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    John B wrote:

    > Interestingly there is a thread over on veloriders on a similar subject - of pushy parents yelling
    > at offspring, although the main thrust is forcing youngsters into a sport which can result in them
    > giving it up.

    I have to admit some of the photos of the junior races on londoncyclesport.com are frankly shocking!
    Tons of kids who look about 10 on dura-ace kitted bikes with carbon forks and wheels. With ultra
    mini frames of course. Now that is what I call keen. I bet their parents cycle!

    --
    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected] www.westerleycycling.org.uk http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
    ----------------------------------

  18. John B

    John B Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:

    > John B wrote:
    >
    > > Interestingly there is a thread over on veloriders on a similar subject - of pushy parents
    > > yelling at offspring, although the main thrust is forcing youngsters into a sport which can
    > > result in them giving it up.
    >
    > I have to admit some of the photos of the junior races on londoncyclesport.com are frankly
    > shocking! Tons of kids who look about 10 on dura-ace kitted bikes with carbon forks and wheels.
    > With ultra mini frames of course. Now that is what I call keen. I bet their parents cycle!

    About the worst I've seen was at a race at Milton Keynes Bowl where dad was intructing his 12 year
    old in the race tactics by a radio link. Shame he came nearly last.

    John B

  19. Jim

    Jim Guest

    If you fancy it, just do it !

    Life's too bloody short to worry about such things !

    "Turkey Tickler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there - a bit of advice needed;
    >
    > Im just getting back to fitness after a 10 year break from cycling.
    >
    > Ive got an OK racing bike and am getting averages of around 18.5 mph on my own over 25-30 miles.
    >
    > I want to start riding with a club of like minded people (ie people who
    are
    > nuts about bikes and riding them) with a view to having a go at a a time trial or two and maybe
    > some novice races etc. Hopefully next year I can
    do
    > much more with a better base of fitness to start from.
    >
    > My question is simply, with my current average of 18.5, am i going to make
    > total oaf of myself if I join a club run and get dropped? What kind of speeds to these things run
    > at and over what kind of distances? I
    appreciate
    > no two clubs are the same but there must be a rule of thumb? As for Cat4 races, again, am I fit
    > enough to have a go yet? I dont want to win, just stay up with the bunch.
    >
    > PS I live in Norfolk so hills arent much of a consideration!
    >
    > tia
    >
    > TT

  20. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Pete Whelan wrote:
    >

    >>John B wrote:
    >>

    >>>Interestingly there is a thread over on veloriders on a similar subject - of pushy parents
    >>>yelling at offspring, although the main thrust is forcing youngsters into a sport which can
    >>>result in them giving it up.
    >>>
    >>>John B
    >>>

    >>we've never pushed our two into having to ride, though we have both ridden as well, Bev starting
    >>TTs after getting bored watching me and the children ride them.
    >

    > I have three riding - mostly touring rides but some circuit racing too, (but no way will I let
    > them ride TT's). They always choose what they want to do as regards cycling (within reason) -
    > whether its a potter down the lanes to go fishing or a hammer around Hillingdon or Eastway.
    >
    > Some parents do seem to go OTT in their pushiness, although they are probably in the minority in
    > numbers, but they are the loudest in vociferousness.
    >
    > I couldn't believe the havoc they caused at the Manchester International Youth Tour where it was
    > appeal after appeal after appeal - "My Johnnie beat your Emily" "No he didn't, Yes he did" - punch
    > (well, almost). We sat back and watched the entertainment ;-)
    >

    >>Then the children got me riding grass track at 45, after they had raved about how much fun it was,
    >

    > That's brill and shows the enthusiasm cycling can put into youngsters. You are very lucky but it
    > is probably a result of your not pushing them into racing.
    >

    >>so we all enjoy it
    >

    > If only there was grass track down here - I'm assuming you are up-north (ish).

    East Anglia