average speed female cyclists?

stys82

Jul 20, 2006
Hi!

I've been reading up on this forum for a while now and now am posting for the first time. I've been a mountain biker for a few years now and just a few weeks ago finally bought a road bike after going back and fourth in my head for at least a year. I picked up a Specialized Dolce Comp and after three rides have decided that I really like it.

Anyways, I've always been pretty competitive and am thinking about getting into racing probably next season after I get some good training in. I was wondering what the average speed is for women who race in local/regional events. I have so far participated in a 65mi group ride w/ a 18mph average and a solo 30miler @ 17mph...both were pretty flat courses. How would that compare to the rest of the field?

Thanks!

stys82 said:
Hi!

I've been reading up on this forum for a while now and now am posting for the first time. I've been a mountain biker for a few years now and just a few weeks ago finally bought a road bike after going back and fourth in my head for at least a year. I picked up a Specialized Dolce Comp and after three rides have decided that I really like it.

Anyways, I've always been pretty competitive and am thinking about getting into racing probably next season after I get some good training in. I was wondering what the average speed is for women who race in local/regional events. I have so far participated in a 65mi group ride w/ a 18mph average and a solo 30miler @ 17mph...both were pretty flat courses. How would that compare to the rest of the field?

Thanks!

I would say just go out and try it, don't worry about your average solo (or even group riding) speed compared to pack riding. It's apples and oranges. Being able to do the average of the pack doesn't prepare you for the surges or attacks on the hills that you encounter in pack racing and that's how people usually get dropped off of the back. Its better to get involved with a racing club or team and learn how to ride safely and how to be tactical during the off season so that you are prepared to ride in a pack come racing season.