Average speed for beginner

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by luuri, Jun 9, 2013.

1. luuri

luuri New Member

Hello everyone! So, two weeks ago I bought a bike for commuting, namely Author Compact (http://www.author-bikes.com/bikes/2012/compact-2012-en/), but to my surprise I got very excited to see how fast and far I can go. So far I have done 170 miles on it, doing 25-40 miles at a time (I have no biking experience save for when I was a kid, now I am 24). Today I decided to check how fast I can go. After half an hour my average speed was 16.7 miles, after an hour 15.9 and then I had to rest for a good 10 minutes. Road was flat. Is that more or less acceptable?:p Also, how much difference would a real road bike make? Thanks in advance!

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That's fine for you. How fast someone goes is an individual thing. There is no rule that says how fast someone new to cycling or returning to cycling after a long break should go. The only thing you should expect is that if you stick with it, you'll be going faster in the future.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

For a beginner there is no "set speed" at which you should ride.
    My advice is to ride at a speed that you can maintain but is close to 90% of your current speed capacity.

So if your flat out speed threshold is 20mph at the moment, if you can maintain a consistent pace of 18mph throughout your ride, your fitness levels will increase and your speed threshold should start to increase beyond 20mph.