Average Speed - Teens

svcyclist

Jul 25, 2004
Hey,

I was just wondering how fast other teens around my age average for say, an hour. I'm 15, and i'm not on a team/club, and i average around 17.5mph for an hour over rolling terrain. I just want to see how i compare with others my age.

-Brian

svcyclist said:
Hey,

I was just wondering how fast other teens around my age average for say, an hour. I'm 15, and i'm not on a team/club, and i average around 17.5mph for an hour over rolling terrain. I just want to see how i compare with others my age.

-Brian
I ride with my son's junior race team (ages 10 - 14) and they average around the same on rolling terrain during TT's (although less than an hour in length). 17.5mph on a solo ride is pretty good over an hour and you would definitally benifit from riding in a group ride.

Keep it up.
Dan.

gould86 said:
I avg. about the same, i'm 17.
when i was that age that sounds about right..
always keep it above 15-17mph..
cuz when u start racing its always 22+

svcyclist said:
Hey,

-Brian

Hi Brian...I'm 23 now, but back when I was 16, I did my first century (alone) on flat terrain. I averaged around 16mph. When I was 17, I did my first big organized century, and I averaged 17.2mph. I had trained for 10 weeks.

Hope this helps.

So how exactly do i get faster?
I ride my ass off... am i on the right track? Its my first serious year... but its a ton of fun! Theres no races around here.... but i think with the end in mind. Whats that mean? Well, one day i will... and i'll be prepared!

gould86 said:
I ride my ass off... am i on the right track? Its my first serious year... but its a ton of fun! Theres no races around here.... but i think with the end in mind. Whats that mean? Well, one day i will... and i'll be prepared!
Haha, it seems like i'm in the same boat as u...I hope that next year i'll be on a local team :)

i did a one hour tt for fun once. i got just over 21 miles.
as for how to train, if you dont have a coach, get one! this is the single biggest thing that has helped me, although im still unsure why. before i had a coach i could hardly hold 20 for 10 minutes

nitrogenmustard said:
i did a one hour tt for fun once. i got just over 21 miles.
as for how to train, if you dont have a coach, get one! this is the single biggest thing that has helped me, although im still unsure why. before i had a coach i could hardly hold 20 for 10 minutes
Nitrogenmustard,
I've been thinking about getting a coach, but i'm a little worried about the cost. I'm not sure if my dad could put up w/ paying for a one quite yet. How much would it cost to have a coach?

I wish i had a local team. Hell i wish there was a coach in town. lol..... my girlfriends dad is hardcore biking.... he used to own a shop, but just stopped running it..... now he does all my bike work for free:D, maybe he can act somewhat as a "coach"

svcyclist said:
Hey,

-Brian

im 16, and just started and woefully out of shape because of it. so now around 15mph for an hour ride with the bad rodes and traffic. im working up there though

i'm 21, maybe not exactly a teen but ive only just started cycling and when i'm trying, i can get 22km/h.

gould86 said:

It depends on what kind of ride you want to be faster on...short distance, long distance, mid distance...

I love doing long rides (Century), so I do my training with a program I've used since I was 16, and it works great. It is ten weeks long. I started out at around 16mph average over approximately 40 miles...by the end of the training, I did 17.2mph over 100 miles. Pretty good increase I feel.

Look for training programs that fit what you are trying to accomplish, and stick to them. There are lots of them out there on the net.

I stick to mine, which is 6 riding days and one off day. I ride in all weather, except for lightning and really bad rain that reduces visibility for those driving a car. And I also ride no matter how much my wife *****es about me riding too much ;)

I also grew up without having any races in my area, but that eventually got much much better, as my hometown became the riding center of all southwest OH. Keep the faith!

vwsmity said:
I love doing long rides (Century), so I do my training with a program I've used since I was 16, and it works great. It is ten weeks long. I started out at around 16mph average over approximately 40 miles...by the end of the training, I did 17.2mph over 100 miles. Pretty good increase I feel.

Look for training programs that fit what you are trying to accomplish, and stick to them. There are lots of them out there on the net.
I have never tried a Century before (or even try to ride for that long for the heck of it), but it's something i always thought about doing someday.....

svcyclist said:
I have never tried a Century before (or even try to ride for that long for the heck of it), but it's something i always thought about doing someday.....
Dude, it is the most incredible feeling when your computer ticks over that 100 mile mark for the first time (and every other time really). It is a rite of passage I think every cyclist should do!

I'm 17 years old right now, and have been biking 3 days / week for 5 weeks, that's my entire cycling career. In my triathlons so far, I've done 21 miles at a 17.5 mph avg, another bike leg was 15 miles at 19.5 mph avg.

sparknote_s said:
I'm 17 years old right now, and have been biking 3 days / week for 5 weeks, that's my entire cycling career. In my triathlons so far, I've done 21 miles at a 17.5 mph avg, another bike leg was 15 miles at 19.5 mph avg.
that's pretty kickin

I just turned 17
My road bike is coming soon! Giant OCR 2 :D
But last saturday I did a 30 mile ride with two roadies and I road my full suspension mountain bike weighing at 40 pounds and our average was 19.5mph which is :eek:That's with knobbies, Downhill fork, discs, and 27 speeds.
Understand why I'm excited about my road bike coming?

I don't know what my average speed is but my longest ride was 5 hours, about 80 miles I believe it was, with a mountain bike, that was last year when I was 13 now I'm 14 and haven't had the time yet to try for that long of a ride

svcyclist said:
Hey,

-Brian

Hey I am also 15 well in two days I will be. I can average about 20mph for an hour if it on flats and I am by my self. That is with out my TT bars on. In a group ride I can average about 24 or so over rolling hills and some longer climbs. I have been riding for about a year pretty regulerly but have started racing about 2 months ago.

-Adam