Average speed

Loridenn

Nov 18, 2004
Hi, Iam new to cycling as an adult...I rode an incredible amount as a kid, but am just getting back to it.I bought a Trek 7300 fx Hybrid and have rode a bunch of times each ride being between 13 and 24 miles. My concern is, does the hybrid bike, like this one restrict speed? I mean Iam in pretty good shape, male, 34 and I ride fairly hard and I only average about 12 m.p.h.... the terrain is average with normal conditions......I know road bike riding averages anywhere between 17and 25 m.p.h. under similar conditions.....I just don't if that bike wasn't made for running or Iam just a weak rider.....

Loridenn said:
Hi, Iam new to cycling as an adult...I rode an incredible amount as a kid, but am just getting back to it.I bought a Trek 7300 fx Hybrid and have rode a bunch of times each ride being between 13 and 24 miles. My concern is, does the hybrid bike, like this one restrict speed? I mean Iam in pretty good shape, male, 34 and I ride fairly hard and I only average about 12 m.p.h.... the terrain is average with normal conditions......I know road bike riding averages anywhere between 17and 25 m.p.h. under similar conditions.....I just don't if that bike wasn't made for running or Iam just a weak rider.....
I think you summed it up "new to it". Put in the miles and train regularly and the speed will come. If you are an absolute speed freak then get a good road bike, or racing recumbent. A bike is only as fast as it's engine. Go out, crank some miles, and have fun!

'bent Brian

I have a hybrid, and it's at least 3 mph slower than any of my previously-owned road bikes. All of my recumbents can wail on it, too; even on climbs. So yes, you will probably always be slower on it compared to a road bike.

If you want to go really fast get one of these:
NCSIDE.jpg

Whatever you do avoid getting one of these old school design slowracers:
http://www.biketcba.org/TRICORR/members/jfoltz2.jpg

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

bentbrian said:
I think you summed it up "new to it". Put in the miles and train regularly and the speed will come. If you are an absolute speed freak then get a good road bike, or racing recumbent. A bike is only as fast as it's engine. Go out, crank some miles, and have fun!

'bent Brian

You could always put on some aerobars or bar ends to get a more aerodynamic position. It's cheaper than getting a new bike, at least. But as another poster mentioned, fitness, is the biggest factor in determining how fast you are.

lowracervk2 said:
Its faster than that nocum to the races waste of carbon fiber.

Bring your slowdio antique to HPV Stock in '05 with no cheater fairing and we'll see just how fast your stripped down old school recumbent design is.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom