Average weight of bikes?

Chris Hansen

Guest
Hello,

Can someone tell me what is the average weight of bikes these days? I see the occasional review
where people complain the bike is a little heavy but I don't know what the standard is they're
comparing it to. One bike was considered heavy at 23 pounds which is 10 pounds lighter than mine.
Another one was heavy at 20 pounds. I don't think I've ever had a bike that light.

Is there a large difference in the under $1000 and over $1000 price ranges?

Thanks.

[email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Can someone tell me what is the average weight of bikes these days? I see the occasional review
> where people complain the bike is a little heavy but I don't know what the standard is they're
> comparing it to.

Mountain bike? Hybrid? Touring bike? Road racing bike? Most road bikes on the market today are in
the 15-25 pound range. Mountain bikes might be 20-40 pounds.

In <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Chris Hansen) opined:

> Can someone tell me what is the average weight of bikes these days?

The weight trend is up up up. While technology has made ultra-light bikes possible, new and faddish
riding styles (downhill, freestyle, singlespeed) have made heavy bikes far more popular. In sheer
volume, the average weight of a bicycle is somewhat higher than it was 11.36 years ago, though
precise figures are hard to state.

> I see the occasional review where people complain the bike is a little heavy but I don't know what
> the standard is they're comparing it to.

Usually a mix of English and metric measurements in the USA, or a mix of metric and English
elsewhere. Except the French -- I think they guess.

> One bike was considered heavy at 23 pounds which is 10 pounds lighter than mine. Another one was
> heavy at 20 pounds. I don't think I've ever had a bike that light.

A 20 lb. track bike would be considered a flying pig, while a 20 lb. MTB would be a featherweight.
It's the same 20 lbs, so what changes?

Perspective, my friend, perspective...

> Is there a large difference in the under $1000 and over $1000 price ranges?

Yes, a bike can cost infinitely more than $1,000 but only $1,000 less than $1,000. That's
essentially an infinite difference, and it doesn't get much larger than infinity...

> Thanks.

You sure?

--
[email protected] | depending, of course, | REPLACE example WITH Dave Salovesh | on your
perspective | mindspring TO EMAIL ME (After more than a decade on USENET , it's finally come

What kind of bike? Track bikes are around 17 pounds, Blue light specials upwards of 30.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

> Mountain bike? Hybrid? Touring bike? Road racing bike? Most road bikes on the market today are in
> the 15-25 pound range. Mountain bikes might be 20-40 pounds.

It also depends a lot on the amount of extra equipment you have mounted on it. Racks, fenders,
lights can easily add 10 lb (or more ?). My commuter, so equiped, weighs about 40 lb. I don't
find it heavy.

> What kind of bike?

You know, xc mountain bike, cyclocross, road bike, hybrid. I guess I was just looking for a couple
of common examples.

In article <glWUb.22603$CJ1.10779@lakeread01>,
"len" <[email protected]> writes:

> Just how do you figure a single speed , could be heavy? I have a steel frame single speed that
> weighs in light. What could make a fixed gear heavy? I don't follow your logic.

I think maybe he's referring to these newfangled, nostalgic, (over-priced?) cruiser type bikes --
those things with the dual curvy top tubes, plush saddles, coming complete with all sorts of
commuting accessories, etc.

cheers, Tom