Avg speed on commuting

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
I can't work out whether I am fast or slow... i avg around 20-22km/h on my commute... avoid sweating too much

what is ur avg speed?

funny thing or sad thing, is that my weekend run is the same avg speed... just can't crack 23km/h

robalert said:
I can't work out whether I am fast or slow... i avg around 20-22km/h on my commute... avoid sweating too much

what is ur avg speed?

funny thing or sad thing, is that my weekend run is the same avg speed... just can't crack 23km/h

I have a shower at both ends. Most of the time i'm at about 24km/h - but if I have the energy i've been able to blast the 15km into work at 27.2km/h average.

I guess it depends where you are from and what the geography is like. I'm on the lower north shore at the moment and probably average about 25km/h going to work. Going home is slightly less because it's mostly uphill. As soon as I leave home I go uphill. Then it's a bit of a rollercoaster to the bridge which is where I pick up some speed (except at the moment with the work they're doing on the cycleway :mad:. This makes maintaining a constant speed difficult. Traffic also plays a part as well I guess. I've got the wonderful motorists to contend with when I get to North Sydney and then down to Milson Point. Same with Kent St and Sussex St in the city. Haven't figured whether i'm fast or slow either but I do pass a number of other cyclists along the way which has made me believe that I can't be doing to badly.:)

i dont commute but an easy ride (e1 hr zone) i'll average between 27 and 32 depending on wind direction.

i was in the same boat as you concerning average speeds..ie couldnt get over 25. signed up with a coach and found im doing alot more e1 rides than i imagined i'd be doing, e1 being for me 126 to 139. still doing hard efforts eg 4 times 5km at AT but found going slower has made me go faster.

from experience, riding hard too often doesnt make you faster.

For all those in Perth (especially those using the kwinana freeway) what is your ave speed from say Farrington/South Street to the city? Having to slow at roadworks, roads and lights really hurts my ave speed alot. On the flat bits between the Mt Henry and Narrows I can keep a 32-35 kmph ave.

Maybe when they finally get around to finish the underpasses that might change.

parawolf said:
I have a shower at both ends. Most of the time i'm at about 24km/h - but if I have the energy i've been able to blast the 15km into work at 27.2km/h average.

Well done on the shower wolf but what about the middle bits:D

Me, av speeds to Freo 25kmph, home 30kph (the freo doctor chimes in nicely).

when eddy ruled said:
i dont commute but an easy ride (e1 hr zone) i'll average between 27 and 32 depending on wind direction.

i was in the same boat as you concerning average speeds..ie couldnt get over 25. signed up with a coach and found im doing alot more e1 rides than i imagined i'd be doing, e1 being for me 126 to 139. still doing hard efforts eg 4 times 5km at AT but found going slower has made me go faster.

from experience, riding hard too often doesnt make you faster.
This is good advice. The body needs the recovery of E1 rides. If your just trying to go flat out all the time the body doesn't recover and you will never improve much.

I average about 30km/h on way to work and about 27km/h on the way home. The way home is more up hill. That is with an average HR of around 150bpm. If I am trying to keep my HR down to around 130bpm I drop around 5km/h.

My advice to those wanting to crank up their avergae commute speeds a bit would be to either a) do some long slow weekend rides, keeping your HR in the E1 zone, b) Do this every second day on your commute or c) both. Has worked for me, of course YMMV.

Rhubarb said:
This is good advice. The body needs the recovery of E1 rides. If your just trying to go flat out all the time the body doesn't recover and you will never improve much.

I average about 30km/h on way to work and about 27km/h on the way home. The way home is more up hill. That is with an average HR of around 150bpm. If I am trying to keep my HR down to around 130bpm I drop around 5km/h.

My advice to those wanting to crank up their avergae commute speeds a bit would be to either a) do some long slow weekend rides, keeping your HR in the E1 zone, b) Do this every second day on your commute or c) both. Has worked for me, of course YMMV.
E1? is that 80% of max?

man i am slow!

number31 said:
For all those in Perth (especially those using the kwinana freeway) what is your ave speed from say Farrington/South Street to the city? Having to slow at roadworks, roads and lights really hurts my ave speed alot. On the flat bits between the Mt Henry and Narrows I can keep a 32-35 kmph ave.

My average speed in from Farrington Road to West Perth is usually around 26 km/h on a good day with Canning Bridge to the Narrows being around 32-35 km/h.

On the way home depending on the wind, my average speed for the whole journey drops down to around 22 to 24 km/h.

From Bassendean to the UWA pool, 55 min on the Felt, however time at lights from Wellington St to Riverside Drive via Barrack st kills the average. With all the closures is there a better way? Milligan/Spring st/tunnels is now Usless. :mad:

We need a contra flow bike lane in Barrack st from Rowe st to the bell tower. :D

gclark8 said:
From Bassendean to the UWA pool, 55 min on the Felt, however time at lights from Wellington St to Riverside Drive via Barrack st kills the average. With all the closures is there a better way? Milligan/Spring st/tunnels is now Usless. :mad:

We need a contra flow bike lane in Barrack st from Rowe st to the bell tower. :D
Get the lead out George.;)

When I lived in Melb. av 20kph in the mornings and 32kph in the evenings was only over 6km but did have a few lights. Tried not to raise a sweat in the mornings but the evenings I would take the long way home and annoy roadies on their narrow tyres with me on my MTB and fats humming along at 40kph:D . Little did they know I was a A grade roadie just out training the fast they went the hard I would go until they decided to draft me.

Now it only 5min ride to work and have to find time to train between family and work:eek: .

DJA said:
When I lived in Melb. av 20kph in the mornings and 32kph in the evenings was only over 6km but did have a few lights. Tried not to raise a sweat in the mornings but the evenings I would take the long way home and annoy roadies on their narrow tyres with me on my MTB and fats humming along at 40kph:D . Little did they know I was a A grade roadie just out training the fast they went the hard I would go until they decided to draft me.

Now it only 5min ride to work and have to find time to train between family and work:eek: .
Heh, I'm not grade anything but that is what i dream about too - to become fast and then tool around on my MTB and jean and T-shirt with thongs, shaming roadies. Biut it's only a dream, alas... :D

number31 said:

Yes I am too waiting on them to finish the underpasses. Only ridden my new bike along kwinana fwy from beeliar - perth a few times now and am viewing speeds of 33-37 kmph ave from Mt Henry to the narrows.
Really am looking forward to see my averages on the Freeway Bike Hike tommorow on that lovely flat road that has recently been resurfaced :D

Currently clocking up 320km per week on 05 Avanti Barracuda running on **** semi slicks. Average speed 27km/h, top speed so far 57km/h (down hill path next to Graham Farmer opposite Burswood - managed 25km/h going up once, just once) Changing over to faster, bullet proof tyres SOON! 6 flats in 2 weeks aaahhh! damn those double G's. Anyone recomend a tyre?

By the way, anyone know how the headwinds in Perth change as soon as you change direction? Actually made me swear out loud today. 1 flat + crapped out front tyre and full on head wind full 30km. ****!!!!!!!!! Good thing I'm addicted to riding.

Cheers, DB