Avg Speeds in Criterium/Road races

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dgarry, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. dgarry

    dgarry New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2005
    Hi all..
    I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
    I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
    Thanks,
    David

    Tags:

  2. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    G'day, i'm a Hawthorn regular and our crits are pretty tough (well, i think so!) I've done alot of D grade races but this winter i've jumped to C and now B.
    D Grade average around 33-35k's, C Grade around 35-36k's, B Grade around 37-40k's and A grade is 40+. Regardless of average speeds your ability to respond to attacks and your placement in the bunch will really determine how hard the race is for you.

    Start in D Grade and seee how you go

    Good luck.

  3. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "dgarry" wrote in message...

    > Hi all..
    > I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
    > wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
    > of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
    > I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
    > thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
    > Thanks,
    > David

    David,

    Speeds are relative on course, conditions, field, etc. So there will never
    be an accurate estimate (or even a ballpark figure) that will answer this
    one. I would recommend doing a few training rides with people who are of
    various grade levels, make sure these rides are not just recovery pace and
    include hills/terrain similar to where you are looking at racing... You'll
    soon be able to judge your level and enter the corresponding grade.

    Again, disclaimers: this depends on your bunch skills, if you've only ever
    ridden alone then sitting on the back of D might be in order.. if you end up
    entering D find yourself a stronger rider than the bunch.. go on to take the
    win!!.. then enter C grade next time... (and repeat)..

    Going on your 'details' you are located in Melbourne (and work for a large
    bank).. if this is correct, then come along to the BR, we cater for all
    levels*... some info on Kew crits:

    There is a hair pin.. there is a hill.. the rest of the course is great!..
    the estimates for this course alone..D grade are low 30's, C mid 30's, B
    high 30's.. again, the higher the level the more frequent and harder surges
    are in the race...

    my 2c... (damn I really have to get some work done today, I've been flat
    out causing trouble posting shite!)..

    cheers,
    GPL
    :* known to sort out some riders in the first few 'neutral' kms: ;)

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hey dgarry

    come join the HCC crew :D:D:D

    hawthorncycling.org

    $25 and you can have a go at the Wed night crits and see if loike it :D

  5. dgarry

    dgarry New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2005
    I was originally going to sign up with HCC when I was living in Kew but I live in Elwood now so it looks like I'm going to sign up with SKCC.. HCC does seem like it's well organised and it seems to have quite a few events organised .. Might yet change my mind..

  6. dej

    dej Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > dgarry Wrote:
    >> Hi all..
    >> I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
    >> wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
    >> of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
    >> I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
    >> thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
    >> Thanks,
    >> David

    > Hey dgarry
    >
    > come join the HCC crew :D:D:D
    >
    > hawthorncycling.org
    >
    > $25 and you can have a go at the Wed night crits and see if loike it :D
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    slightly off topic,
    but does the CA licenses run for a calendar year or?? ie, if i get one now,
    will it run out at the end of the year or this time 2006?
    i wont be able to do any kew racing this year (not that i was any good in
    the first place:) ) so i'll need a CA license to race elsewhere..

  7. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "dej" wrote in message...

    > but does the CA licenses run for a calendar year or?? ie, if i get one
    > now, will it run out at the end of the year or this time 2006?
    > i wont be able to do any kew racing this year (not that i was any good in
    > the first place:) ) so i'll need a CA license to race elsewhere..

    Having just got mine about 2hrs ago, I was told that they were per calendar
    year.. I got a 6 month one ($100) that I will have to renew for Jan '06..
    screw the cost of fuel - $100 for 3 months - bloody hell! :)

    cheers,
    GPL
    :racing llama:

  8. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    lama= shane m, right?

  9. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "dgarry" wrote in message ...

    > I was originally going to sign up with HCC when I was living in Kew but
    > I live in Elwood now so it looks like I'm going to sign up with SKCC..
    > HCC does seem like it's well organised and it seems to have quite a few
    > events organised .. Might yet change my mind..

    <Bert>
    Now over to Moria who is with GPL today..
    </Bert>

    I've been a member of HCC since the start of the year and can highly
    recommend becoming an active member. Not only are there regular events and
    training rides, the HCC bunch are all very friendly and welcoming of new
    members.

    cheers,
    GPL

  10. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "Jono L" wrote in message ...

    >> cheers,
    >> GPL
    >> :racing llama:lama= shane m, right?

    OMG cover blown... umm.. ummm... look over there *points*... :changing in to
    a dress as disguise:

    On that note.. I wonder how much you'd have to pay someone to do the 1/20
    ITT in a dress? Surly thats a 2min time bonus? :)

    cheers,
    GPL

  11. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    can members of every Melbourne club ride in the vets on Thursday nights?
    Or do you have to be a Southern Vets member?

    Conversely, can Southern Vets members race the 'opens' on Tuesday night at Sandown?

  12. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "531Aussie" wrote in message ...

    > can members of every Melbourne club ride in the vets on Thursday
    > nights?
    > Or do you have to be a Southern Vets member?

    oh... umm.. I have no idea, I have a few good years before I have to worry
    about that..

    cheers,
    GPL

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Jono L wrote:

    > dgarry Wrote:
    > > Hi all..
    > > I am planning on starting to race in the 2005/06 season and I was just
    > > wondering what are the average speeds in criterium/road races for each
    > > of the A,B,C,D grades roughly..
    > > I'm trying to figure out what grade I should attempt racing at.. I'm
    > > thinking of starting in D and seeing how I go..
    > > Thanks,
    > > DavidG'day, i'm a Hawthorn regular and our crits are pretty tough (well, i

    > think so!) I've done alot of D grade races but this winter i've jumped
    > to C and now B.
    > D Grade average around 33-35k's, C Grade around 35-36k's, B Grade
    > around 37-40k's and A grade is 40+. Regardless of average speeds your
    > ability to respond to attacks and your placement in the bunch will
    > really determine how hard the race is for you.
    >
    > Start in D Grade and seee how you go
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Jono L

    Hey Abby,

    according to this, we're B Graders!!!

    Tam

  14. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Aaron C has been known to shop for his clothes at female outlets so i think he may have beaten you to it.

  15. mogulhead

    mogulhead New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003

    I can't confirm this but I read somewhere that if it is your first CA license then you can get it in October and it will run through to the end of 2006. Can anyone confirm this.

  16. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    mogulhead wrote:

    > I can't confirm this but I read somewhere that if it is your first CA
    > license then you can get it in October and it will run through to the
    > end of 2006. Can anyone confirm this.

    That is correct.

    --
    BrettS

  17. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    GPLama wrote:

    > "531Aussie" wrote in message ...
    >
    >>can members of every Melbourne club ride in the vets on Thursday
    >>nights?
    >>Or do you have to be a Southern Vets member?
    >>

    > oh... umm.. I have no idea, I have a few good years before I have to worry
    > about that..

    AFAIK the Australian Veterans Cycling Council has no affiliation with
    the Australia Cycling Federation, so you would need separate licenses to
    race Vets and Opens

    --
    Brett"apparently all my 'good' years are far behind me..."S

  18. Hey Tam - you took the words right out of my mouth!!

    Maybe those p!ssweak southerners use up too much energy shivering in
    those cooler temperatures... *grin*

    For info: At the Murrarie Crits in BrisVegas - Cat 2 averages
    38-40km/h.
    To try and put that in perspective - there is also a Cat 3 race (for
    juniors and novices), plus a Cat 1 race, and an Elite race. So I figure
    that Cat 2 is probably a C/D grade mix...

    Wow - god help all you Melburnians if the Qld crew ever venture south
    for a 'crit rumble'!!!!

    Abby (who feels comfortable trash-talking when he's a few thousand km's
    away *laughs*)

  19. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Our averages are on a course with a 180 hairpin and a nice short climb:p

  20. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    IIRC there is a 11m difference in height from the lowest point to the highest point on the course...

    cheers,
    GPL