Avid brakes

Johnny Klunk

Guest
During a brakes adjustment this afternoon I managed to strip the thread on my front brake arm (you
know the bolt that threads into the arm to hold the cable? I stripped arm that it threads into).

The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they didn't have any deores and I
really need front brakes I went with them.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
they had in stock. Especially any special tips for fitting them properly.

Aside from that, I didn't tighten the old ones too much. Certainly I don't think I over-tightened,
and previously the cable had been slipping through slowly. They're only 6 months old and I'd really
like Shimano to send me a new set/voucher/refund. Anyone had any experience here?

cheers

"Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The guy in the LBS recommended a pair of Avid levers (£15). As they
didn't
> have any deores and I really need front brakes I went with them.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these? I got the feeling that I was being sold the only arms
> they had in stock. Especially any special tips
for
> fitting them properly.

You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have been doing sterling service
for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up is straight forward. If
you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

For some reviews go to:

http://www.bikemagic.co.uk/review/reviewcategory.asp?sp=&v=1&RGN=4&RCN=23

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/brake_system/

Pete

> You don't say which model of Avid. I've Avid 2.0's on my mtb which have
been
> doing sterling service for the past 3 years. AFAIC they're not second best to Shimanos. Setting up
> is straight forward. If you've got Arch Rivals I think they're ok.

Cheers for the reviews. I'm not sure what model I've got (gotta walk down 3 cold flights of stairs
to find out), but its only the arms- not the whole lot. Having put them on and taking for a ride
today I was really happy. Quite controlled and firm when pulled on. I've had a poke about the net
and the general feelings seems to rate them above the shimano stuff.

Cheers