Avid Cable Discs

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dave Hart, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Dave Hart

    Dave Hart Guest

    Are Avid disc brakes front and rear specific? I've just bought a single disc 2nd hand and the
    previous owner said they can be used front or back. Checking on the Avid web site shows that F & B
    have different weights. Would this be due to the extra cable for the back?

    Any advice gratefully accepted.

    TA

    Dave

    > Are Avid disc brakes front and rear specific? I've just bought a single disc 2nd hand and the
    > previous owner said they can be used front or back. Checking on the Avid web site shows that F & B
    > have different weights. Would this be due to the extra cable for the back?
    >
    > Any advice gratefully accepted.
    >
    > TA
    >
    > Dave

    The brake is interchangeable front or rear, only the black adapter is different. The rear one is
    smaller and probably a little lighter. Fortunately they are inexpensive.
    --
    _________________________

  3. Don Smith

    Don Smith Guest

    "Dave Hart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are Avid disc brakes front and rear specific? I've just bought a single disc 2nd hand and the
    > previous owner said they can be used front or back. Checking on the Avid web site shows that F & B
    > have different weights. Would this be due to the extra cable for the back?
    >
    > Any advice gratefully accepted.
    >
    > TA
    >
    > Dave

    Dave, The Avid calipers are the same and can be used for front or rear. When you purchase a set of
    Avids the calipers will have an adapter mounted to them. One adapter is specifically for the front,
    and the other specifically for the rear. If you have a caliper that has an adapter for the front and
    you wish to use that caliper on the rear, simply replace the front adapter for a rear adapter. If
    you wish to put a rear on the front, replace the rear adapter with a front adapter. In short, the
    calipers are the same, but the adapters are not the same because the mounts on the frame and fork
    are not the same. The difference in weight is in the adapters not the calipers.

    Don

  4. Alex Ravenel

    Alex Ravenel Guest