Avid disc brake with Shimano centre-lock rotor mount disks and hub dynamo

squeaker

Guest
The plan: change front 406 wheel to get a Shimano hub dynamo and a
mechanical disc brake.

The snags: I like Avid mechanical disc brakes, but Shimano hub dynamo
only takes Shimano's Centre-Lock rotor mount discs, which only come
with hydraulic systems :(
And I can not really afford a SON :((

The solution (?): use a Shimano XT disc with an Avid BB7 caliper - WILL
IT WORK ?!?

Helpful answers appreciated ;)

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=3504

or http://tinyurl.com/kjnzn
--
Regards
Alex

Alex Potter wrote:
> squeaker wrote:
>
>> The plan: change front 406 wheel to get a Shimano hub dynamo and a
>> mechanical disc brake.
>>
>> The snags: I like Avid mechanical disc brakes, but Shimano hub dynamo
>> only takes Shimano's Centre-Lock rotor mount discs, which only come
>> with hydraulic systems :(

Shimano has seen the errors of their ways, and mechanical diskbrakes
(including a sti compatible one) are back in force for 2007

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

in message <[email protected]>,
squeaker ('[email protected]') wrote:

> The plan: change front 406 wheel to get a Shimano hub dynamo and a
> mechanical disc brake.
>
> The snags: I like Avid mechanical disc brakes, but Shimano hub dynamo
> only takes Shimano's Centre-Lock rotor mount discs, which only come
> with hydraulic systems :(
> And I can not really afford a SON :((
>
> The solution (?): use a Shimano XT disc with an Avid BB7 caliper - WILL
> IT WORK ?!?

It should work, so long as the caliper aligns with the brake track on the
disk. There's nothing magical about disks - they're just circular pieces
of stainless steel.

;; Drivers in the UK kill more people every single year than
;; Al Qaeda have ever killed worldwide in any single year.

As others have said... yes. Other answers follow:

> Helpful answers appreciated ;)

Two other possibilities.
1) You can get adaptors for Shimano Centre-Lock to IS 6 bolt. They are
around £15 from Wiggle IIRC.
2) Accept a loss of efficiency (Don't know how much as there are no
published stats anywhere) and get the HB-NX70. It's the Nexus dynohub
with an IS 6-bolt disc fixing. This is the solution that I've opted
for. It's also cheaper than the "Sports" hubs that Shimano sell.
Compared to my current front wheel, the efficiency loss is probably
survivable. YMMV.

Jon