Avid Disc Brakes on a TE

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by David, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other Easy
    Racer bike?

    Tags:

  2. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    David wrote:
    > I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or
    > other Easy Racer bike?

    I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are 'in
    the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint braces
    (since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the front, the
    brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John Foltz wrote:

    > I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are
    > 'in the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint
    > braces (since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the
    > front, the brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.

    John,

    When I have ridden V-Rexi, I have had to be careful not to lock the rear wheel up while braking.
    This was not true on several Rockets (which have a more rearward weight distribution [1]).
    However, the rear braking on my Rocket was significantly improved with the addition of a
    "horseshoe" brake booster, which has greatly reduced the visible flex in the chainstays when the
    rear brake is applied.

    [1] 1997-2000 frame design.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  4. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > John Foltz wrote:
    >
    >>I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are
    >>'in the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint
    >>braces (since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the
    >>front, the brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.
    >

    > John,
    >
    > When I have ridden V-Rexi, I have had to be careful not to lock the rear wheel up while braking.
    > This was not true on several Rockets (which have a more rearward weight distribution [1]).
    > However, the rear braking on my Rocket was significantly improved with the addition of a
    > "horseshoe" brake booster, which has greatly reduced the visible flex in the chainstays when the
    > rear brake is applied.
    >
    > [1] 1997-2000 frame design.

    Maybe I should rephrase. IMHO the braking on the rear of the TEs I've tried have been a bit iffy.
    The V-Rex's rear brake is adequate for normal conditions, but I have had problems in the past when
    riding faired in hills and wet. I'm looking for that extra margin. and yes, I have a brake booster
    on already. The Avid discs on the Baron are awesome, and I want the same degree of confidence on the
    'Rex or I will tend to ride it less.

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other
    > Easy Racer bike?

    I believe that rear Avid discs are a "factory option" on the Gold Rush/Ti-Rush. At least, I saw two
    polished GRR's with Avid discs on them yesterday. I don't know if they're available on the TE, but
    it should be fairly easy for a framebuilder to change the dropouts and add a tab on the frame for
    the brake. It's not a job for an amateur, though.

    I would *think* that a disc brake on the front of a Easy Racer bike might make it lock up too
    easily. I can't say for sure, though. Another thing is that it might overload and bend the fork.
    Usually, rigid forks for disc brakes are beefed up to handle the extra torque at the hub.

    Search through the Easy Racer forums at http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/ for a couple more details.

    Jeff

  6. "David" skrev...
    > I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other
    > Easy Racer bike?

    Nope, I put Nexave drumbrakes on my TE-clone though. Not as costly and no hassle with welding bits
    on. Can't feel a big difference between these and my Grimeca mechanical discbrakes, cept taking
    wheels off requires loosening the brakecable.

    Mikael (I got carbon! I got carbon! nyah nyah! =) )

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > (I got carbon! I got carbon! nyah nyah! =) )

    Mikael,

    I have carbon in my Earth Cycles and RANS bikes. It is why they are made from steel and not iron.

    I also happen to be a carbon-based life form. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's