Avid Disc Brakes on a TE

David

Guest
I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other Easy
Racer bike?

David wrote:
> I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or
> other Easy Racer bike?

I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are 'in
the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint braces
(since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the front, the
brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.

John Foltz wrote:

> I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are
> 'in the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint
> braces (since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the
> front, the brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.

John,

When I have ridden V-Rexi, I have had to be careful not to lock the rear wheel up while braking.
This was not true on several Rockets (which have a more rearward weight distribution [1]).
However, the rear braking on my Rocket was significantly improved with the addition of a
"horseshoe" brake booster, which has greatly reduced the visible flex in the chainstays when the
rear brake is applied.

[1] 1997-2000 frame design.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Tom Sherman wrote:
> John Foltz wrote:
>
>>I'm doing something similar. Putting a disc brake (Avid mech) on the rear of my V-Rex. Parts are
>>'in the mail.' It will involve adding brazeons for the mount, and also relocating the sprint
>>braces (since that's where the caliper will go.) Like me, you probably don't need a disc on the
>>front, the brake already there does a good job; it's just the rear that is IMHO pretty weak.
>

> John,
>
> When I have ridden V-Rexi, I have had to be careful not to lock the rear wheel up while braking.
> This was not true on several Rockets (which have a more rearward weight distribution [1]).
> However, the rear braking on my Rocket was significantly improved with the addition of a
> "horseshoe" brake booster, which has greatly reduced the visible flex in the chainstays when the
> rear brake is applied.
>
> [1] 1997-2000 frame design.

Maybe I should rephrase. IMHO the braking on the rear of the TEs I've tried have been a bit iffy.
The V-Rex's rear brake is adequate for normal conditions, but I have had problems in the past when
riding faired in hills and wet. I'm looking for that extra margin. and yes, I have a brake booster
on already. The Avid discs on the Baron are awesome, and I want the same degree of confidence on the
'Rex or I will tend to ride it less.

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other
> Easy Racer bike?

I believe that rear Avid discs are a "factory option" on the Gold Rush/Ti-Rush. At least, I saw two
polished GRR's with Avid discs on them yesterday. I don't know if they're available on the TE, but
it should be fairly easy for a framebuilder to change the dropouts and add a tab on the frame for
the brake. It's not a job for an amateur, though.

I would *think* that a disc brake on the front of a Easy Racer bike might make it lock up too
easily. I can't say for sure, though. Another thing is that it might overload and bend the fork.
Usually, rigid forks for disc brakes are beefed up to handle the extra torque at the hub.

Search through the Easy Racer forums at http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/ for a couple more details.

Jeff

"David" skrev...
> I'm considering putting Avid disc brakes on my TE. Has anybody else tried this on a TE or other
> Easy Racer bike?

Nope, I put Nexave drumbrakes on my TE-clone though. Not as costly and no hassle with welding bits
on. Can't feel a big difference between these and my Grimeca mechanical discbrakes, cept taking
wheels off requires loosening the brakecable.

Mikael (I got carbon! I got carbon! nyah nyah! =) )

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> (I got carbon! I got carbon! nyah nyah! =) )

Mikael,

I have carbon in my Earth Cycles and RANS bikes. It is why they are made from steel and not iron.

I also happen to be a carbon-based life form. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's