Avid Disc Mech. & Ultegra Shifter Problems

james2u

New Member
Sep 23, 2004
My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that compensate for this incompatibilty?
Thanks, Peace

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
>seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out
>before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that
>compensate for this incompatibilty?
>Thanks, Peace

Yes, you can buy a device that increases the cable pull. I think it it is
called an Avid thingamajig. You should also make sure you have properly
adjusted the brakes so that there is minimal clearance between the pads and
the brake rotor.
-------------
Alex

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:05:41 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>>

>>My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
>>seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out
>>before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that
>>compensate for this incompatibilty?
>>Thanks, Peace

>Yes, you can buy a device that increases the cable pull. I think it it is
>called an Avid thingamajig. You should also make sure you have properly
>adjusted the brakes so that there is minimal clearance between the pads and
>the brake rotor.
>-------------
>Alex

Dear Alex,

Possibly the Avid rollamajig:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2838&subcategory_ID=5132

Carl Fogel

james2u said:
My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that compensate for this incompatibilty?
Thanks, Peace

I would ask the question directly to Avidbike.com

Avid makes a Roll-a-majig, but it just smooths out the turn in a rear derailer cable without changing the leverage on the cable.
Avid also makes Full-Metal-Jacket stainless steep tubing to be used in applications where you need housing and can run it straight. However, you likely have the typical curved sections at the bar and brake ends only.

I would be looking into a hydraulic disc and bar-end shifter.

If you need to pull more cable, you need something like a World Class "V-Daptor. It decreases leverage and increases the amount of cable pull.

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
> >seem that compatible with each other. The brake lever is bottoming out
> >before it gets a good grip on the brakes. Is there any device that
> >compensate for this incompatibilty?
> >Thanks, Peace

> Yes, you can buy a device that increases the cable pull. I think it it is
> called an Avid thingamajig. You should also make sure you have properly
> adjusted the brakes so that there is minimal clearance between the pads and
> the brake rotor.
> -------------
> Alex

No, it's not an Avid Rollamajig- that's just a cable roller. What you
want is a Travel Agent, which is a stepped pulley that allows the use
of V-type brakes with non-V-levers.

Assuming everything is adjusted correctly in the first place, the
problem is that the Avid disc brakes you have use the same amount of
cable pull as V-Type (aka linear pull) brakes, while the Ultegra brake
levers pull less cable since they were designed for sidepull brakes.
To fix this, you could install Travel Agents (see
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0330 ) or
replace the Avid calipers with the "correct" road calipers:
http://www.sram.com/en/avid/discbrakes/ballbearingroad/ballbearingroad.php

Jeff

james-<< My Avid mechanical disc brakes and Ultegra shifters on my tandem don't
seem that compatible with each other. >><BR><BR>

Do you have the 'raod' version of the calipers? made for road levers? If you
have the MTB version, you will run outta cable.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302