Avid Flak Jacket cables

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
    aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
    "backup" hardtail I'm building.

    Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length? They
    are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging a
    hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
    wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake system -
    and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.

    By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy, and
    a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.

    Tags:

  2. Chris wrote:
    > So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
    > aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
    > "backup" hardtail I'm building.
    >
    > Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
    > They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging a
    > hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
    > wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake system
    > - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
    >
    > By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
    > and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.

    My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
    then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
    while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
    right now.

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  3. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    I've got the exact same brake setup, and they are SWEET. The modulation is fabulous. However, my
    cables are gunky after only about 2 months of 2 rides per week. Big thumbs down to the Avid cables.
    I wonder if it's possible to clean them out, or if the stickiness is permanent?

  4. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    I 2nd the vote for Gore Ride-On cables.

    For cutting either brand of housing, if you don't have a cable cutter, a Dremel tool cut-off wheel
    works great. Put a piece of scrap cable in the housing while you cut it, to keep the opening open.

    > So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
    > aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
    > "backup" hardtail I'm building.
    >
    > Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting
    the
    > housings to length? They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing
    > by lightly dragging a hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal
    > innards. I desperately
    wanted
    > perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on
    > v-brake system - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
    >
    > By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they
    are
    > so freakin' crazy, and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.

  5. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:14:33 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chris wrote:
    >> So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
    >> aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
    >> "backup" hardtail I'm building.
    >>
    >> Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
    >> They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging
    >> a hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
    >> wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake
    >> system - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
    >>
    >> By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
    >> and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.
    >
    >My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
    >then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
    >while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
    >right now.
    >
    >Jon "Commander" Bond

    Ditto on the Park Cable Cutters. Don't go cheap here, I tried the Performance brand and they only
    lasted a few cable housing rebuilds.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  6. Tim Kingery

    Tim Kingery Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > However, braking performance will be great for a while, then the second you get something in the
    > "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long while tho, so I suppose I can't complain
    > too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky right now.
    >
    > Jon "Commander" Bond

    Pretty much the same problem I had with them. Great until they were contaminated. I much prefer
    the Gore Ride on cables. A little bit pricey compared to Avid cables, I think they are worth it.
    Tim Kingery

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I can see where grit would accumulate inside the housing, but it shouldn't be a problem to run the
    cables themselves through some soapy water...they can take it. I have zero dirty miles on my setup
    so far - I just finished moving, and MD is covered in 6 inches of snow - so I have no input on
    dirt-related stickiness. My rear cable has a lot of drag right now, and makes it pretty hard to pull
    the right lever. I think one of my less-than-perfect housing cuts could be gumming up the cable.
    Once my boxes are unpacked I can sit down and dial it all in.

    Chris

    "Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got the exact same brake setup, and they are SWEET. The modulation is fabulous. However, my
    > cables are gunky after only about 2 months of 2 rides per week. Big thumbs down to the Avid
    > cables. I wonder if it's possible to clean them out, or if the stickiness is permanent?

  8. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Bill Porter wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:14:33 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>>So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
    >>>aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
    >>>"backup" hardtail I'm building.
    >>>
    >>>Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
    >>>They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging
    >>>a hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
    >>>wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake
    >>>system - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
    >>>
    >>>By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
    >>>and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.
    >>
    >>My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
    >>then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
    >>while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
    >>right now.
    >>
    >>Jon "Commander" Bond
    >>

    > Ditto on the Park Cable Cutters. Don't go cheap here, I tried the Performance brand and they only
    > lasted a few cable housing rebuilds.

    There's a thread that just started on r.b.t. that is very disparaging towards the Park
    cable cutters.

    Greg "FYI and all" T.

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons