Avid Flak Jacket cables

Chris

Guest
So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
"backup" hardtail I'm building.

Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length? They
are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging a
hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake system -
and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.

By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy, and
a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.

Chris wrote:
> So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
> aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
> "backup" hardtail I'm building.
>
> Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
> They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging a
> hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
> wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake system
> - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
>
> By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
> and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.

My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
right now.

Jon "Commander" Bond

I've got the exact same brake setup, and they are SWEET. The modulation is fabulous. However, my
cables are gunky after only about 2 months of 2 rides per week. Big thumbs down to the Avid cables.
I wonder if it's possible to clean them out, or if the stickiness is permanent?

I 2nd the vote for Gore Ride-On cables.

For cutting either brand of housing, if you don't have a cable cutter, a Dremel tool cut-off wheel
works great. Put a piece of scrap cable in the housing while you cut it, to keep the opening open.

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:14:33 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>> So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
>> aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
>> "backup" hardtail I'm building.
>>
>> Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
>> They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging
>> a hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
>> wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake
>> system - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
>>
>> By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
>> and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.
>
>My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
>then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
>while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
>right now.
>
>Jon "Commander" Bond

Ditto on the Park Cable Cutters. Don't go cheap here, I tried the Performance brand and they only
lasted a few cable housing rebuilds.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> However, braking performance will be great for a while, then the second you get something in the
> "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long while tho, so I suppose I can't complain
> too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky right now.
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond

Pretty much the same problem I had with them. Great until they were contaminated. I much prefer
the Gore Ride on cables. A little bit pricey compared to Avid cables, I think they are worth it.
Tim Kingery

I can see where grit would accumulate inside the housing, but it shouldn't be a problem to run the
cables themselves through some soapy water...they can take it. I have zero dirty miles on my setup
so far - I just finished moving, and MD is covered in 6 inches of snow - so I have no input on
dirt-related stickiness. My rear cable has a lot of drag right now, and makes it pretty hard to pull
the right lever. I think one of my less-than-perfect housing cuts could be gumming up the cable.
Once my boxes are unpacked I can sit down and dial it all in.

Chris

news:[email protected]...

Bill Porter wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:14:33 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Chris wrote:
>>
>>>So I bought myself some Xmas presents: Avid Ultimate Brakes/Levers, XT shifters, the
>>>aforementioned Flak Jacket brake cables, and a pile of stuff (grips, headset, bar) for the
>>>"backup" hardtail I'm building.
>>>
>>>Regarding the Flak Jacket cables...has anyone else had problems cutting the housings to length?
>>>They are so garshdarn grenade proof, I found myself cutting the outer casing by lightly dragging
>>>a hacksaw blade around them, then using uber-sharp snips to cut the metal innards. I desperately
>>>wanted perfection from my brakes - I'm the kind of moron that spends over $300 on a v-brake
>>>system - and was wondering if I missed a trick to cutting these things.
>>>
>>>By the way...there is a reason those brakes are called "ultimate" - they are so freakin' crazy,
>>>and a little (I'm not afaid to say it) sexy.
>>
>>My park cable cutters cut through 'em ok. However, braking performance will be great for a while,
>>then the second you get something in the "sealed" system, it dies. They did last me a pretty long
>>while tho, so I suppose I can't complain too much. But mine are really, really, really sticky
>>right now.
>>
>>Jon "Commander" Bond
>>

> Ditto on the Park Cable Cutters. Don't go cheap here, I tried the Performance brand and they only
> lasted a few cable housing rebuilds.

There's a thread that just started on r.b.t. that is very disparaging towards the Park
cable cutters.

Greg "FYI and all" T.

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons